Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Loud Screeching Sound in Rotors? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/41956-loud-screeching-sound-rotors.html)

SCBarren 04-28-2009 04:47 PM

Loud Screeching Sound in Rotors?

So I was driving along the coast just on a regular paved road and went to turn around in a pull out and suddenly there was some screeching sound near the front end. So I stopped, then started to go again and it was really loud coming from what I figured the wheels. Everything is stock by the way. It really sounded like something was in the rotor area... So I backed up slowly and there was no sound so I backed into a parking spot.

I looked around and saw nothing specific or stand-outish. So I got back in, turned on, put back in first and went a bit, and the sound was gone. I have since driven it home, freeway, all that, and the sound hasn't returned.

Should I take it to the dealer? Or did a rock just get wedged in my wheel area? I don't know a ton about cars so excuse me if I use the wrong terms.

Thanks guys

-John

kenchan 04-28-2009 05:13 PM

yah, ive had that happen on my cars before. you drive over some gravel or pebbles and it kicksup and gets stuck between the rotor and the rotor cover (black plate cover). most of the time the rock will fall out on its own.

i encounter this often when they spot fix asphalt by just pouring new crap into the hole and let the cars pack them into the pothole. :mad:

SCBarren 04-28-2009 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 641338)
yah, ive had that happen on my cars before. you drive over some gravel or pebbles and it kicksup and gets stuck between the rotor and the rotor cover (black plate cover). most of the time the rock will fall out on its own.

i encounter this often when they spot fix asphalt by just pouring new crap into the hole and let the cars pack them into the pothole. :mad:

Oh phew, good to hear.

Yeah they have been doing road work all over santa cruz and it sucks ass to drive over all the crap on the road.

kenchan 04-28-2009 05:59 PM

if it persists and annoys you, you can take the wheel off and gently push the black plate away from the rotor and try to find where the rock's at.

but usually it will come out on its own... plus, you'll get new ones stuck if your area's doing lots of road work.

McNabb 04-29-2009 08:37 AM

Typically, when this happens, reversing is the best way to dislodge it (without actually getting into the wheel/brake area yourself). So you inadvertantly fixed your own problem most likely!

Whats A Fit? 04-29-2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 641338)

This exact thing happened to me with my fit. It fell out on its own when i made a right turn.

huisj 03-29-2011 09:55 AM

I just had this exact thing happen to my Fit. I stopped at the store on my way to work, and when I was pulling into a parking space, I heard a horrible screeching and grinding sound as I came to a stop. I thought it must have been a bus or a truck nearby, but I didn't see any. I inched ahead to another parking spot and it did it some more.

I went into the store, got the stuff I needed, and when I came back out I pulled away very slowly with the windows down. The screech was still there. I yanked the parking brake on and off, stabbed my brake pedal hard, backed up a few feet, and then pulled away with some sudden throttle jabs, and after all that it was gone and didn't make a peep the rest of the way to work.

Scared the crap out of me. Good to see that it was probably just some crap stuck somewhere. The roads here are basically disintegrating, so it's not surprising that something could kick up in there.