Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Putting MapLights in Canada Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/42250-putting-maplights-canada-fit.html)

hoss10 05-05-2009 05:26 PM

Putting MapLights in Canada Fit

As well as no Traction controll and Nav. Canadian Fits don't have a map light. I guess, Honda thinks being from the frozen north we are used to reading by oil lamp therefore don't need map lights. (we do get heated mirrors, a low windsheild fluid light and a huge resevoir however,along with some really cool looking alloy wheels on the LX :)).

Anyway I really would like to be able to see in my car at night. Has any brave souls from Canada cut a hole or fished around under the headliner, to see if there are wires under the liner where the maplights should be? If there is it would be pretty easy I think to install the maplights. I don't mind cutting the hole but I don't want to do it if there is no wiring. Anyone want to go first?

blackvitzrs 05-05-2009 05:35 PM

I didn't know there is no map light? now how stupid is that? wow i'm speechless. Even though its not a make or break feature, but EVERY OTHER CAR has it.

Scaldy 05-05-2009 06:46 PM

I have posted a few times about this. I didn't realize the map light was missing until after I bought the car...doh. I remember looking up and thinking, "hmm what is that big flat spot in the headliner...maybe controls for a future sunroof?" Wrong.

From what I have heard about Honda they don't do extra wiring that isn't necessary. That means I doubt the wiring harness is just sitting there waiting to be plugged into :(. I would also be willing to cut a hole if the wiring was there but like you said... who wants to go first? Lots of Canadian REP points will be handed to the brave soul as a lot of Canadians want their MAP LIGHT!!!

Honestly, who cuts corners on a fricking map light!!!:mad:

BoooooOOOooh. :p

I called Honda Canada today and was told I'll have an answer in 48 hours (don't hold your breathe). I told them to call Japan and talk to someone on the assembly line lol.

ren hoek 05-05-2009 07:46 PM

I've seen a lot of Canadians upset about this map light issue, but it has yet to be a problem for me...

...the dome light seems to light up the interior just fine BUT honestly I haven't tried reading a map at night.

Just my .02 as it would be a shame for someone to cross the Fit off their buy list for this issue, try before you buy, it might not bother you...

...I don't miss the TPMS, Nav or VSC BUT no steering wheel audio controls option OR bluetooth option OR 6th gear (3000+ RPM @ 100Km/H?) Ouch. :( I wouldn't be surprised if these haven't sent a few potential customers elsewhere.

M4psycho 05-05-2009 08:52 PM

I don't think people are complaining that they can't read a map, it's the whole convenient factor of having a light there (which so happens to be called the map light for obvious reasons) for reading or seeing things in the front. I for one think it was utterly stupid to leave it out, especially since the molding up there screams for lights to be installed there....but you can't have everything I guess....

FitStir 05-05-2009 10:42 PM

Adding a map light console should be possible, you might want to refer to thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...me-lights.html it might have some helpful wiring pointers. Ofcourse adding the maplight console would be a little more involved that that thread, cause you would have to cut hole in the liner, but you could run the power from the dome lights.

Originally Posted by ren hoek (Post 646410)
...I don't miss the TPMS, Nav or VSC BUT no steering wheel audio controls option OR bluetooth option OR 6th gear (3000+ RPM @ 100Km/H?) Ouch. :( I wouldn't be surprised if these haven't sent a few potential customers elsewhere.

The steering wheel audio controls is possible but you'd have to get an aftermarket HU and a PAC adapter, as well as the buy the OEM Honda audio controls from the Navi model. Check the following link in the quote, some one did it on GD3.

Originally Posted by FitStir (Post 488088)
This is a pretty good thread with info on a 08 Fit with steering wheel controls modded on. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ing-wheel.html It's a little long, but it's got some good info.

I don't see why it can't be done on a 09, you'll have to get a different head unit, and a PAC adapter, but it should work.

from https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...s-non-nav.html

as for the 6th gear, I wish we had that even an O/D gear to reduce some rpms on the hwy .

Scaldy 05-06-2009 12:18 AM

I thought I had a "flash of genius" when I saw this image courtesy of Roger:
http://gallery.me.com/rteak/100032/D...12294854030002

I thought I could use that hole to explore any possible wiring hiding up in the headliner near the non existent map light. I thought I could use my camera with flash to scope out the area. However, there is a beam that restricts access once you get up there. If someone had a snake camera that would do the trick.

I took a photo to the side and it worked perfectly, I could see all the way to the end with no wires in sight. You can tug the headliner down just far enough to navigate something small like a snake camera under the roof beam towards the map light.

secondspassed 05-06-2009 01:09 AM

Go look in the lighting forum there are several threads on doing this to GD3 Fits. It should work just fine for a GE8. You splice into the dome light's power, and you can choose just about any kind of map light you want.

CRXsi#32 05-06-2009 10:20 AM

I have been debating doing this myself. The parts needed are as follows:

32155-TK6-A20 Wire Harness
34404-SNA-A11ZD Base lense Assy
34405-SDA-305 lense
34406-SDA-305 lense
90148-S6A-013 bolts x2
34253-671-003 bulbs x2

This will make it plug and play, the harness runs from the center dome light to the map light and then down the LF A pillar which then plugs into the fuse box. You may evenn be able to seperate the splice from the new harness and splice into the existing harness on the car.

projekz 05-06-2009 01:08 PM

I'll double check mine but I believe the wiring harness is already hiding under the headliner just waiting to be hooked up!

secondspassed 05-06-2009 02:14 PM

I doubt it, but that'd be sweet.

kostar 05-06-2009 07:53 PM

My US fit base doesn't have map lights either :(

I might hang a picture up there bc the big empty space is SO sad looking!!

k*

Alpha Zero 05-07-2009 03:39 PM

I plan on doing the homelink maplight from a Pilot/Oddyssy sometime this year. If so, I'll keep this thread in mind if anyone wants to buy my maplight from my Sport w/Navi.

sl33p3rs 05-07-2009 04:35 PM

how much is the map light if you get it from the dealer?http://animepisodes.info/images/ac1a...47f522747e.jpg:confused:

BC-Fit09 05-07-2009 06:07 PM

Map lights aren't even on the option list and I can't find anything in a google search to suggest it, but you could phone the service dept. at your local dealer to double check.

When I was searching, this blurb was on a 2009 Honda Fit review from Canadian Driver:

"Stow a couple of fiver’s, head to Home Depot, and pick up some disposable LED sticky lights. You will need them"

Here's a neat little clip-on/magnet light that came up in the search ...costs 12.59. I see Canadians can also order(go to "customer support")

Rampage Clip-On/Magnet LED Interior Light : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

I haven't yet missed the map lights, but my daughter came to visit last weekend and she sure missed the visor lights!:hyper::rotfl:
I will check out Canadian Tire and other stores eventually to see if something similiar to the above mini-light can be found without ordering online.

oureo 12-26-2012 10:40 PM

did anyone actually get a the true wiring harness to install the map light?

fujisawa 12-27-2012 11:33 AM

Don't let me dissuade you, but given the amount of work involved, I would be likely myself to find a simpler solution. This would involve a flashlight, preferably something that could be clipped to the sun visor.

Yes, you'll have to replace the batteries once a year, but how often do you really use the light anyway?

Mini_Odyssey 12-27-2012 11:40 AM

Canadian market cars get certain features we dont but have to cut corners elsewhere to keep the price point competitively low. Like the 2013 Civic LX as a example has like heated seats std on the Canadian models, yet US models you have to get the EX-L to get that.

Steve244 12-27-2012 01:23 PM

Here's the definitive thread on adding maplights to a Fit.

It's an easy modification requiring a sharp knife and some wire to patch into the dome light. Oh and about $40 in parts from Honda (Sport model here in the states).

I never use them, but they do come on with the dome light when doors are opened. That's nice. Makes it feel like a big-boy's car.

Wait! My wife needed light the other day to read an address. She wanted to turn on the dome light! I had to slap her hand and turn on the map light. Well worth the $40 and few hours effort.

k-man 01-03-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1154162)
Here's the definitive thread on adding maplights to a Fit.

It's an easy modification requiring a sharp knife and some wire to patch into the dome light. Oh and about $40 in parts from Honda (Sport model here in the states).

I never use them, but they do come on with the dome light when doors are opened. That's nice. Makes it feel like a big-boy's car.

Wait! My wife needed light the other day to read an address. She wanted to turn on the dome light! I had to slap her hand and turn on the map light. Well worth the $40 and few hours effort.

The DIY noted above no longer has pics attached, does anyone have these handy? I have PM'd the DIY creator and hopefully he gets back to me