Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Kia Soul, Your Thoughts (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/43106-kia-soul-your-thoughts.html)

dgs 05-25-2009 08:45 PM

Kia Soul, Your Thoughts

Not sure if this thread is in the correct part of the forms, but since I own an 09 Fit Sport this has been the only place I've posted. Mods, if I screwed up please feel free to move it where you see "fit." ;)

Anyway, out of boredom I was checking out the Kia Soul today and I have to hand it to Kia, they did a lot of things right with the Soul. As a matter of a fact, as I was looking through the features, options, and specifications I found 11 things I like about the Sould over the Fit (this is for the Soul Sport, the only model I would buy):

1. Rear 10.2" disc instead of drum brakes. The Civic has these too, would it have been a big deal for Honda to put discs instead of drums on the Sport model?

2. A sunroof option. It's only a $700 option, I would have gladly paid that had it been available on the Fit.

3. Outside temperature display. Honda needs to add this, there is pleny of space for one.

4. Stability control standard, not with the purchase of a very expensive option. I don't think much more needs to be said about this.

5. 315 watt sound system. The 160 watt system in our Fit is okay, but for a car marketed to Gen Y, Honda really skimped on the sound system. They should have put the 350 watt system from the Civic SI in the Fit Sport.

6. Center console with storage as stock. Yes, I know we can buy one, but it's an expensive option and it should have come with the Sport model at least.

7. Bluetooth with steering wheel controls. Again, for a car marketed to a technically savvy generation how did Honda leave this out? Dumb oversight.

8. Height adjustable drivers seat. This would have been nice, but at least we get tilt and telescoping steering wheel and they only get tilt.

9. Auto dimming rearview mirror option. Just like the sunroof, this isn't even an option for us. Why? The Civic has one, why not make one for the Fit?

10. 70.3 inches wide. The Fit is a little too narrow I think. I've had a few of my big friends ride with me (250 lbs) and while the head and legroom is great, our shoulders are too close for comfort. The Fit could really use a couple of more inches in the width I feel.

11. 12.7 gallon gas tank. Anything is better than our puny 10.6 gallon tank. Why did it need to be so small?

Okay, that's it. It probably seems like I took a great deal of time and thought to put this list together, but not at all. As I was going through the Soul features and specs I was like "damn, I wish we had that" over and over. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I think we can all agree there is room for improvement. The Soul Sport with a 5-speed manual and sunroof option is $18,300. My Fit Sport 5-speed manual with navigation was $18,500. I would gladly have given up the navigation option to get all of the stuff above and keep the price the same. Heck, I could buy a Garmin 750 for like $400 and be happy with that.

Your thoughts?

kenchan 05-25-2009 08:53 PM

If the exchange rate wasn't so nice to Korea they won't be able to offer so much(?). :confused:

Koreans are killing the market price for everyone, imho. Not that they had much to do with it, but lucky them! :D

But even if they offered so much more I still can't get myself to want a Kia/Hyundai. That's just me.

thebluepotato 05-25-2009 09:00 PM

Ummmm.....no. Stay with Honda - just my .02

SheepNutz 05-25-2009 09:09 PM

You could have all that, but in the end, it's still a Kia.

moolman 05-25-2009 09:16 PM

Well, it is a Kia and that's why they are offereing so much more options for a better price because they have to.

Kia which is owned by Hyundai are not the pieces of crap of old, they actually come out very highly rated for reliability these days. But the stigma will be there for another couple of years until the crappy cars from China start rolling in and then Kia and Hyundai will be in the same spot as Toyota and Honda. It's just deja vu. People were saying the same things about Toyota and Honda 20 years ago.

Would I have bought the Soul instead of the Fit, don't know but the bluetooth thing really bugs me. And besides, too late already bought the Fit. The only thing going for us is that Honda has a better resale value.

cab0053 05-25-2009 09:57 PM

repost and wrong forum. it's in the forum label 'other car related discussions' second page three down from this one. If a search was made, it would have easily been found on the second page as well.

OEMfit 05-25-2009 10:25 PM

kia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

nuff said :3

nxtfit_08 05-25-2009 10:50 PM

everytime i see it reminds me of my son saying YYYYuuKKies!!!

Holy_Fit_Batman! 05-25-2009 10:51 PM

I remember when my parents bought a Santa Fe back in like 04. They basically got a handshake at trade-in for it. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And I've actually seen one driving around Austin. Those things are fugly. Seriously.

danielg 05-25-2009 11:25 PM

I used to work for a lender (auto finance company) that wouldn't finance a Kia. This was a couple years ago, and im sure the quality has changed...but I mean, come on. If a major lender did NOT want to finance the car, then something has to be wrong.

mikejet 05-25-2009 11:39 PM

Saw one on the road recently. Upset that there were no giant hamsters inside.

projekz 05-25-2009 11:45 PM

I agree that the end value is gonna be far less than then Fit. But I also have to agree that Honda should've put a little bit more toys in the Fit...I know they were trying to keep the cost down and didn't want to step in Civic territory but I would've paid the extra cost for Bluetooth, centre console, auto dimming mirror and an outside temperature display...

CrystalFiveMT 05-26-2009 12:47 AM

I don't have the time to read all the above posts but...

...I rode in the Soul today.

The Fit has noticeably more room. Visually while you're inside you may think the Fit is narrower, but I do a test in the driver seat by extending my right arm to the side and gauging the amount of space to the right door. The Fit is pretty much the same, but if you try the elbow room test, the Fit has more elbow room. The Fit has more headroom, esp. in the rear, way more cargo room.

I can list the pros/cons, but I don't have time right now.

Bottom line is the Kia still has a ways to go to match Honda quality and attention to detail. The Fit also has better FE, resale, prolly crash safety, handling, fun, and reliability.

If I were given a choice of a free Fit or Soul, hands down...Fit.

McNabb 05-26-2009 09:59 AM

I took a serious look at one during my hunt for a new car as I liked the quirky looks. I took it out for a long test drive. Overall, the car is pretty solid. Yes, it is a Kia, but people said the same thing about Hyundai 10 years ago.

The driving dynamics are obviously no where near what the Fit has, but, it makes up for that in features (if that is what you like/want). The engine was strong, and the handling on the sport model was sufficient for spirited driving. I found the back seat to have a bit more room than the Fit, and the perfectly square hatch was nice and big to load stuff into.

Overall, they are heading in the right direction, but are a few model cycles away from getting a more serious look from me. The Fit is tighter, handles better, is more flexible for cargo/people, better on fuel and will maintain it's value better, regardless of the features the Soul offers.

Tyrsis 05-26-2009 12:06 PM

It can have all those options and more, but in the end, it looks even worse than a Scion xB.

jadr09fit 05-26-2009 12:10 PM

It's a nice car. I like Hyundai/Kia, and it's a giant leap forward for them.

I'd still take a Fit, though. More usable interior, better driving position, and better fuel economy.

ckc 05-26-2009 12:23 PM

It certainly has an advantage over the Fit in the features/toys department, but I can live without those. Althought I wish it came with a few other goodies (outside temp display, better speakers, etc), I'm thoroughly happy with my Fit.

Fit4Pits 05-26-2009 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by dgs (Post 661101)
11. 12.7 gallon gas tank. Anything is better than our puny 10.6 gallon tank. Why did it need to be so small?

to fit under the front seats. Those flat-folding rear seats that we all think should be standard in every hatch? That can only be accomplished because the gas tank isn't underneath them. Space limits the size of the gas tank. Since we have such teensy tanks, we damn well better get great fuel economy to compensate (and we do!).
I also like the more upright driving position caused by the higher front seats (because the tank is underneath). Reminds me, just a liiiiittle, of the days of my truck.

Texas Coyote 05-26-2009 12:54 PM

I wouldn't have been able to afford a Fit if it had all of the creature comforts offered on the KIA though I would have loved a six way adjustable seat..... I am more into the minimalist less is more thing and wouldn't have minded owning a Fit that was very stripped down if it would result in a lighter more nimble car.... The thing that tells a sad story of the KIAs handling woes, is its need for stability control. Saying that it is needed on a Fit would kind of make a person question another person's driving ability and confidence behind the wheel. Those things belong on big SUVs, pick up trucks and cars that grandma would drive.

ERyan1189 05-26-2009 03:04 PM

Never buy from a car company that bases their name on Keeping It Affordable