Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   "BAD DISC" error! (non-nav) Help! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/44349-bad-disc-error-non-nav-help.html)

bkrell 06-23-2009 08:57 AM

"BAD DISC" error! (non-nav) Help!

I've had my Fit for a little over a month but, thanks to my mp3 player and great radio stations, yesterday was the first time I'd tried to use the CD player. Well, after inserting 10 different CD's, I couldn't find one that didn't produce a "BAD DISC" error. The CDs were fine. I looked at the owner's manual and it just said to consult the dealer. Any tips? :confused:

badself 06-23-2009 09:50 AM

Sounds like a bad head unit.

Litespeed 06-23-2009 11:04 AM

When you say "10 discs" - do you mean 10 burnt discs? If so, I would try different ones such as a factory recorded original and a different brand.
I've seen some CDs made by different companies work and some don't work.

bkrell 06-23-2009 01:07 PM

No, I don't really burn discs. It's all stuff I purchased (you know, the old fashion way of getting music). But the discs all ranged from being slightly scratched to not at all.

I made a post shortly after I got the car about the AUX input. The first time I tried my MP3 player through it, it said there was a USB error! But the next time after that, and every time sice, it's worked....

Hmmm, I wonder if I unplugged my mp3 player if it would make any difference???

Kittengolf 06-23-2009 06:41 PM

I have had this happen twice just out of the blue to me with my head unit too. I do not use the aux input at all. I have found that I have to pull over, turn off the car, and restart it to get it to go away. Its flaky as hell, and I don't understand it. I am planning on bringing it up to the dealership when I take it in for its first service appointment. Whenever that may be. I have 8000 miles on the car and am still at 40% oil life.

bkrell 06-23-2009 06:50 PM

I just talked to a service advisor. He said they have never seen this and will probably replace the unit. I've tried unplugging the aux, turning off the unit, switching off various settings...and nothing helps. I may try disconnecting the battery

Daelb 06-23-2009 11:09 PM

I got the message on disc four of a nine disc audiobook. I was really into the "book" and a bit pissed. I ejected the disc and reinserted it and it played fine. I was changing the disc on a torn up part of SF Bay area I-80 and think that the disc just went in weird.

bkrell 06-28-2009 12:18 AM

Well, I disconnected the battery, trying to see if that would help. No luck. I went through another 10-15 discs to see if maybe the player is just really sensitive to bad discs. I guess I'll try to find time to bring it in this week. Hmmm, not good to have issues this early in ownership. How fortunate I haven't got any surveys yet.

it's pronounced iVTEC 06-28-2009 02:49 AM

i've had that bad disc message once, it was on a bought cd. all i did was turn the car off and turn it back on and i've never had the problem since. it was probably just a glitch

bkrell 06-28-2009 02:58 AM

Well, more than just a glitch for me. I haven't had it NOT happen. The fact that it's not widespread shows me it's not a big deal and may never happen again if I get the unit swapped out. It certainly won't prevent me from buying another Honda. Hell, I never use the CD player anyway. It took me a month to even try the first cd. But still. It sucks to be in the small minority of folks who get a car with a glitch right off the bat. Glad I got an extended warranty.

bkrell 07-21-2009 08:17 PM

And fixed! Called the dealer back last week. They had to at least LOOK at the radio before they could order a new one. 20 seconds later it was on order. Took a week to come in. Went by today at 4:15. Was driving off the lot by 5:15. Not bad. Unexpected but not bad. Too bad they didn't reprogram my presets.:p

reako 07-22-2009 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by bkrell (Post 702669)
Too bad they didn't reprogram my presets.:p

Yeah that would have been a nice touch...I know they documented/programed mine when I bought the car! Oh well at least they got it all fixed up for ya! :)

Emma's Fit 07-08-2010 08:24 PM

2007 Fit Bad Disk Error

I have a 2007 Fit and within the last 2 days the Stereo started to display a Bad Disk error and attempts to read a disk, even though a disk is not inserted. We are now past the 36K warranty period.

bkrell 07-15-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Emma's Fit (Post 881275)
I have a 2007 Fit and within the last 2 days the Stereo started to display a Bad Disk error and attempts to read a disk, even though a disk is not inserted. We are now past the 36K warranty period.

Sorry I just saw this. Yeah, it seems like the only option is to get the unit replaced. Now, having an iPod and iPhone, I have to say...since I got the unit replaced, I've used the cd player maybe twice in the last year. I just wanted it replaced on principle.

jimo 01-19-2014 11:29 PM

I had mine replaced on my 2009 fit, right before the warranty expired. The new unit worked for a couple weeks, then started the bad disc error again. I didn't have time to bring it back in and gave up on it- Now just use the mp3 feature unfortunately.

Steve244 01-20-2014 07:51 AM

CDs are so last decade.