Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Driver's seat killing my back! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/46572-drivers-seat-killing-my-back.html)

TootsD 08-08-2009 01:02 PM

Driver's seat killing my back!

I wuv my new 09 base model manual Fit (thanks Obama) but this seat is as bad as an airline seat for my body type. The thing has a recess up around your shoulders and bulge all the way down with no other curve above the lumbar area which is essential but proper back support. I realize the design is to activate the active head restraint, but dang, it hurts! So, what have people done to work with this? Men with normal-size booties seem to have no issue with this, as my husband has noted. Now don't be thinking that I have a big booty either, just a feminine curvy normal sized one! (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from this!?!?!) :p

sbualuba 08-08-2009 01:16 PM

Hey I'm pretty skinny And on Long drives some days it really kills me! (08-GD-Base)

blyndgesser 08-08-2009 02:31 PM

Try reclining the seat back a notch. If you need to, you can also telescope the wheel closer to you, and/or slide the bottom of the seat forward. The idea is to put your center of gravity further back.

Fitftw 08-08-2009 02:56 PM

i agree with you. the fit lacks proper lumbar support but i thought they addressed the problem with the GEs. guess iwas wrong.

and just for fun, lets see that curvy body ;) jk ofcourse

IBJanky 08-08-2009 05:01 PM

Maybe only bigger folks are having problems with the seats?

I have no pain issues with mine.

myke

secondspassed 08-08-2009 05:28 PM

No problems here, 6' in a GD.

dela 08-08-2009 08:15 PM

yeah.. try reclining it back a bit and dont rest your head on the head rest...

blazej 08-08-2009 08:40 PM

No problems (male 5'7.5" ~170), but if the headrest is a problem try reclining the seats a bit (lean back) or see if you can buy an aftermarket headrest that isn't as forward as the OEM one.

Black01 08-08-2009 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fitftw (Post 719063)

and just for fun, lets see that curvy body ;) jk ofcourse

I second that motion :D

chilis trip 08-09-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TootsD (Post 718973)
I wuv my new 09 base model manual Fit (thanks Obama) but this seat is as bad as an airline seat for my body type. The thing has a recess up around your shoulders and bulge all the way down with no other curve above the lumbar area which is essential but proper back support. I realize the design is to activate the active head restraint, but dang, it hurts! So, what have people done to work with this? Men with normal-size booties seem to have no issue with this, as my husband has noted. Now don't be thinking that I have a big booty either, just a feminine curvy normal sized one! (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from
this!?!?!) :p

In the SW last winter a plastic/metal mesh lumbar support that straps to the seat was all the rage among snow birds and RV'ers. The prices ranged from $2 to $10 and they work! I found mine at a flea market but I have noticed them on Amazon. Good luck! Amazon.com: Angel Sales PosturePro Lumbar Support: Health & Personal Care

Type 100 08-09-2009 08:19 PM

The driving position isn't really ideal on our cars, and yeah missing lumbar support is a huge disappointment. My issue also revolved around lacking thigh support and I'm just a 5'8" male. I resorted to replacing my seats.

Before replacing the seats though I "cheated" by sitting as far as I can from the wheel while still maintaining control on the pedals. Then I sat as upright as I could. Believe it or not, it helped...but it'll still ache after a few hours into a long drive or bad traffic.

At least your GE has the reach-adjustable steering column. I suggest you make use of it, it's a huge help :D My GD doesn't.

gargoyle 08-15-2009 12:24 AM

Which seat did you use for a replacement? My Fit is a week old and it's the first time I've had back problems in a car! Love everything else about it...

Gibbs 08-15-2009 09:19 PM

I've been using a lumbar support cushion in my Fit ever since I bought it. It's perfectly comfortable as long as I use the cushion, even on a drive across the country.

mscott 08-16-2009 01:57 AM

Gargoyle, The Fit is the first new automobile I've ever purchased. I've always bought a car that was 1-3 years old to let someone else take the depreciation. The only other transportation that I ever bought new is a Harley Fatboy.

So like yourself, I was disappointed and concerned when I suffered from a sore back after a few hours riding in the car on my first long trip. I was really worried that I would have the replace the seats asap. However, I was surprised that after 1000 miles the seats broke in and now feel comfortable. After 3000 miles, they feel fine and I haven't thought about replacing them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... give them a chance to break in. It made a difference for me.

Watsoff 08-31-2009 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TootsD (Post 718973)
...but dang, it hurts! ... (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from this!?!?!) :p

I hear these help for those who can't hang with the seat :D

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/siteim...ted-briefs.jpg

ThomP 09-01-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by IBJanky (Post 719177)
Maybe only bigger folks are having problems with the seats?

Nope! I'm 183 cm, 67 kg and I can definetely feel the lack of support for the lower back:(

Mela_SC 09-01-2009 10:36 AM

ThomP, bigger in the US means big as in "carrying a lot of weight" and not "tall" :)

Also, the won't know how much you weigh and how tall you are unless you tell them 67 kg is about 148 pounds and 183 cm is 6"2'. So actually for US standards you are considered skinny and severely underweight ;-D

(I'm allowed to say that as a Bavarian and skinny person, we always speak our mind *lol*)

ThomP 09-02-2009 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mela_SC (Post 737387)
ThomP, bigger in the US means big as in "carrying a lot of weight" and not "tall" :)

Also, the won't know how much you weigh and how tall you are unless you tell them 67 kg is about 148 pounds and 183 cm is 6"2'. So actually for US standards you are considered skinny and severely underweight ;-D

(I'm allowed to say that as a Bavarian and skinny person, we always speak our mind *lol*)

Thanks for the unit conversion:)
I am quite aware of the fact that I am skinny (but not at all underweight;)) so my point was that the fact that I do have issues with the lack of seat support prove that the problem is not limited to big people as IBJanky suggested:vtec:

Mela_SC 09-02-2009 10:41 AM

I got you :)

Nice to "meet" someone from Denmark, I heard it's very nice there!

Type 100 09-02-2009 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gargoyle (Post 725324)
Which seat did you use for a replacement? My Fit is a week old and it's the first time I've had back problems in a car! Love everything else about it...

Attachment 55905
I use Recaro SRDs mounted to Bride RO-type rails. All my seat problems (lack of lumbar and thigh support) solved in one fell swoop. :)