2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you had fixed at a Honda dealership under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Boys...

I bought some Duck Brand weather stripping with foam. (the thinnest width I could find--about 3/8")--I adhered that to the area where the foam stops on the trim piece and then continued up to the top of the trim. It fits snug, and no rattle. It has been raining all day, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 10-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
As a Mercedes tech, knowing that they will just replace any "faulty"--this seems subjective--part with the same "faulty" part, why wouldn't you fix the problem yourself?
I bought the fit so I wouldnt have to work on it. Now granted if they tell me that it is normal, I will probably live with it but a new battery with way more than 330 cca and an alternator with higher amps will be in order one day.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Hey Boys...

I bought some Duck Brand weather stripping with foam. (the thinnest width I could find--about 3/8")--I adhered that to the area where the foam stops on the trim piece and then continued up to the top of the trim. It fits snug, and no rattle. It has been raining all day, so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll let you guys know.
It's not a rainy day in GA; put the Fit in improbability drive and drove up I75 again. At relativistic speeds there was no crackle-rattle with the silicone fix. The true test will be the daily drive at 40-65MPH this week; the rattle was intermittent before, it may have just gone into hiding. I think not. I hope not.

Now if only there was some way to rid myself of the bunny ears and tail that appeared on the Fit.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's not a rainy day in GA; put the Fit in improbability drive and drove up I75 again. At relativistic speeds there was no crackle-rattle with the silicone fix. The true test will be the daily drive at 40-65MPH this week; the rattle was intermittent before, it may have just gone into hiding. I think not. I hope not.

Now if only there was some way to rid myself of the bunny ears and tail that appeared on the Fit.
I would pee myself with joy and laughter if my fit sprouted bunny ears and tail. I kid you not-- one reason I like the fit so much is because it looks like a bunny to me.

I haven't had any problems yet (with a whopping 14xx miles), but I'm glad to hear the fix for this rattle is so easy!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM
hmm.. thank goodness this isnt the A-Pillar... i was thinking that some wires were loose inside and it was causing the problem...

So whats the official fix? Silicone? Weather Stripping? (any idea what the dealer does?)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Steve and Virtual did the silicon I believe.

I used 3/8" weather stripping (foam on one side, sticky on the other)...I stuck it underneath the trim piece, where the other weather stripping ended, and let it also go up into the blank spot that goes higher. It has worked so far. I tried to get the noise to make itself show--but it didn't.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wootang00
hmm.. thank goodness this isnt the A-Pillar... i was thinking that some wires were loose inside and it was causing the problem...

So whats the official fix? Silicone? Weather Stripping? (any idea what the dealer does?)
The official fix is going to the Honda service dept, pointing at the offending chunk of plastic, and asking them to fix it. I think it's a design issue that should be corrected. Next time I'm in for something I'll ask if they have a TSB on it.

If Btrthnezr3's method of adding weather stripping works, this would be prefered as it doesn't involve using adhesive to secure a piece that's meant to be removed.

Here's a pic of the plastic pulled away from the windshield so you can see the back and how this might contribute to noise:

Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
I put the foam weather stripping...similar to what you can see in this picture....here:
Name:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  30.1 KB

It seems to be working so far.

I appreciate everyone's help and input.

I can take pictures of the packaging if need be. It is Duck Brand and it is in the weatherstripping aisle in Walmart. Most packages were thicker, but this one was thinner...but looked thick due to the packaging--it was 2 rolls together that were about the same width of the other choices. I think it was around $3.00.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I put the foam weather stripping...similar to what you can see in this picture....here:

I can take pictures of the packaging if need be. It is Duck Brand and it is in the weatherstripping aisle in Walmart. Most packages were thicker, but this one was thinner...but looked thick due to the packaging--it was 2 rolls together that were about the same width of the other choices. I think it was around $3.00.
So did you have to take that piece off then put it back on?
(if you did take that piece off.. is there any instructions to do so?)

Or did you just slide the weatherstripping under that area?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
mmmm check your PMs if you haven't already. I sent you a link to the slideshow "how I did it." You don't need to completely remove the piece of plastic, just pull it away from the windshield and body frame. It flexes enough to access underneath and either add weatherstripping or pure silicone as an adhesive. Recommend the weatherstripping if that solves the problem (you can always pull it off and try silicone later).

Or pull into the Honda service dept. and point at the part and tell them it's noisy at highway speeds. Actually I'd encourage you to do this first if you have the time for such a "minor" thing. (I know it's not minor when it's making the noise; it was driving me to drink.)

Edit to add link to picasa album.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-26-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:37 PM
mmmm check your PMs if you haven't already. I sent you a link to the slideshow "how I did it." You don't need to completely remove the piece of plastic, just pull it away from the windshield and body frame. It flexes enough to access underneath and either add weatherstripping or pure silicone as an adhesive. Recommend the weatherstripping if that solves the problem (you can always pull it off and try silicone later).

Or pull into the Honda service dept. and point at the part and tell them it's noisy at highway speeds. Actually I'd encourage you to do this first if you have the time for such a "minor" thing. (I know it's not minor when it's making the noise; it was driving me to drink.)

You have to wonder what they will do to fix it.. obviously replacing the piece wont really have an effect on the problem... haha

Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I have this buzz too. (I think) Right at 4000 RPMS it sounds like a wasp furiously trying to escape from a plastic grocery bag. A muffler bypass exacerbated this problem. I really hope this is the same noise everyone's talking about here.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
I have this buzz too. (I think) Right at 4000 RPMS it sounds like a wasp furiously trying to escape from a plastic grocery bag. A muffler bypass exacerbated this problem. I really hope this is the same noise everyone's talking about here.
I think that's the normal noise a fit makes at 4k rpm

Our buzz is more of a crackle (someone described it as a mouse humping bubble wrap; and that's not far off) and is a function of wind-speed (above 40mph)

Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wootang00
You have to wonder what they will do to fix it.. obviously replacing the piece wont really have an effect on the problem... haha
Probably glue it down.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I think that's the normal noise a fit makes at 4k rpm

Our buzz is more of a crackle (someone described it as a mouse humping bubble wrap; and that's not far off) and is a function of wind-speed (above 40mph)
The sound I described eminates from the passenger side, around the A pillar area. I'm not talking about the engine. It's something resonating with the engine, not the engine its self.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
The sound I described eminates from the passenger side, around the A pillar area. I'm not talking about the engine. It's something resonating with the engine, not the engine its self.
Could be the same. try the popsicle-stick test.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Engine jingling? Valve noise?

I've got a noise that I was thinking about having the dealer look at. My car's got 2000 miles on it, and this particular noise has been present since day 1. I've never owned a Honda before, so I don't know if this is typical of the engines or not, but I doubt it.

Anyway, when idling or throttling in low gears, there's an audible "jingling" coming from the engine. Performance is fine, and I'm not noticing any issues with the way the car runs (does occasionally idle a bit hard, especially on hills, but I think it's mostly just resonating vibrations, as it stops when I let off the brake). So again, I'm not sure if this might be a symptom of something, or is just the way it is.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member

My problem is the wife acting like a bunny in the back of the Fit. She will not leave the rear seats in an upright position. ( not laughing but screaming - Oh Fit Oh Fit.)

Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM

Thanks for this fix.

I'm having this front rattling sound lately and it seems to be coming from the windscreen. Will try your fix tonight when I get back.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Grinding noise while car in motion

I noticed a grinding metal to metal noise while driving my Fit. I made an appointment with the dealer to check the problem. The dealer service advisor said several vehicles have come in with the same problem. The cause is a small rock finding its way between the front disk rotor and the rotor cover plate. According to the Honda, a concerned owner actually had the car towed to the dealer fearing further damage if the car is driven. To solve the problem, the service advisor said to drive the car on reverse and slam on the brakes to dislodge the rock. Another solution is to just continue driving the car until the rock is worn down sufficiently and falls off.

As for my car, the grinding sound disappeared the next day.

Quick Reply: What have you had fixed at a Honda dealership under warranty?