Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Using USB stick in radio. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/50822-using-usb-stick-radio.html)

BlueFitSport 11-27-2009 03:21 PM

Using USB stick in radio.

We've switched from using an iPod to using a USB stick in the Fit's radio and I have to say, it's pretty unintuitive and crappy to find music. Rather than listing everything in the folder structure, it only shows folders that contain MP3s and then it seems to stop listing folder names after the first 208.

I'm wondering if there are any firmware upgrades or tips that you guys would have in organizing the files on the USB in a way that would make it easier to find the music we want on it.

It's a 32GB stick btw, almost full.

smaglik 11-27-2009 11:57 PM

so, you're saying 208 folders isnt enough for one batch of music?

i disagree with you 100%. I think it is very intuitive and well designed, especially considering its a stock feature on a low end model. beats the heck out of what bmw offers.

what good would it be to show files that arent mp3s?

Btrthnezr3 11-28-2009 12:03 AM

I have my 32 gigger filled up pretty nicely and I just keep it on random.
Love my "personalized" radio station.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by smaglik (Post 780467)
so, you're saying 208 folders isnt enough for one batch of music?

i disagree with you 100%. I think it is very intuitive and well designed, especially considering its a stock feature on a low end model. beats the heck out of what bmw offers.

what good would it be to show files that arent mp3s?

Are you really that content with subpar equipment?

The fact of the matter is, if they're going to support a 32GB flash drive, then they shouldn't have limits (my guess is poor memory management and it just runs out after so many entries) or have the limits set high enough that people won't run into them.

What good is it to show folders that don't have MP3's in them?

It's called, organization. That way if I have 5 albums of music from 50 different artists, I can select the artist first and then select the album that I want rather than having all of the albums in one big clusterfuck that can't even display the names of all of them.

smaglik 11-28-2009 01:46 AM

subpar equipment? what do you think you bought? a top of the line luxury car? do you ever consider the design cycle of vehicles? the radio was likely designed years prior when a 32gb memory stick wasnt much of a consideration. even if it was, i doubt much concern would be put to a power user such as yourself, who requires his/her radio to act like an operating system.

in case you didnt notice, the fit is an entry level vehicle. i am ecstatic that it comes with something like that, a feature that i wouldnt even expect on a vehicle like this.

my bet is you wouldnt be happy even if you found a stack of 50s in the glove box. you'd ask why they arent 100s.

if it will make you feel better, go out and spend a boatload of cash and upgrade your stereo to something that will serve your needs.

or, go buy a more expensive vehicle, for a better designed stereo.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by smaglik (Post 780485)
subpar equipment? what do you think you bought? a top of the line luxury car? do you ever consider the design cycle of vehicles? the radio was likely designed years prior when a 32gb memory stick wasnt much of a consideration. even if it was, i doubt much concern would be put to a power user such as yourself, who requires his/her radio to act like an operating system.

in case you didnt notice, the fit is an entry level vehicle. i am ecstatic that it comes with something like that, a feature that i wouldnt even expect on a vehicle like this.

my bet is you wouldnt be happy even if you found a stack of 50s in the glove box. you'd ask why they arent 100s.

if it will make you feel better, go out and spend a boatload of cash and upgrade your stereo to something that will serve your needs.

or, go buy a more expensive vehicle, for a better designed stereo.

So your answer to this thread is "I don't know".

Thanks, that would've sufficed.

Shockwave199 11-28-2009 02:13 AM

Doesn't anybody do a freakin search here? I don't have your answer, but a search I did for you might-

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ash-drive.html

I hope that suffices.

:rolleyes:

Dan

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shockwave199 (Post 780491)
Doesn't anybody do a freakin search here? I don't have your answer, but a search I did for you might-

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ash-drive.html

I hope that suffices.

:rolleyes:

Dan

No, it doesn't. It just says that it lists shit by the order it was copied onto the drive, which I'm well aware of. (It's also a retarded bug that Honda should've never let out as I'm sure it's a problem on the rest of the cars in their line-up using this nav system as well.)

What I'm asking is if there's any way to go into a straight folder view and bypass all of the bullshit Honda put into the system, but obviously there isn't.

Black3sr 11-28-2009 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFitSport (Post 780498)
No, it doesn't. It just says that it lists shit by the order it was copied onto the drive, which I'm well aware of. (It's also a retarded bug that Honda should've never let out as I'm sure it's a problem on the rest of the cars in their line-up using this nav system as well.)

What I'm asking is if there's any way to go into a straight folder view and bypass all of the bullshit Honda put into the system, but obviously there isn't.

You never tested this before you bought the car? Shame on you. Live with it.

Vash 11-28-2009 11:42 AM

iam not trying to steal the thread or anything but how did you order the music and play lists to the orders you need them?

smaglik 11-28-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFitSport (Post 780487)
So your answer to this thread is "I don't know".

Thanks, that would've sufficed.

my answer is that you are looking for pc features out of a vehicle, a little much, dont you think?

not all users are compu-geeks like yourself (which is apparent, if you've spent the $$ to buy a 32gb jump drive, since they are still quite a bit more than the 16gb models). feel free to respond to that or anything else i've pointed out. Actually, don't waste your time. I won't waste mine reading it.

Virtual 11-28-2009 12:35 PM

Geez! There's a poll about people nitpicking small issues with their Fits. This thread seems to be one of them.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 780526)
You never tested this before you bought the car? Shame on you. Live with it.

No, because we bought the flash drive because someone on this forum recommended it.

From a code perspective (I'm a software engineer) it'd be easier to just show things as they appear on the flash drive, than it is to search through the drive finding only folders that contain MP3s and listing them all there.

I'm going to try putting dummy MP3 files in the folders that are there just for organization and see if it works that way, but my guess is it'll then just show the organization folders after the big list of albums making it completely useless.

Honestly, you guys have to be some pretty big fanboys to vehemently defend a system that's obviously not right. I'm not insulting you, or the car, just saying that it's a bug that I would hope could be fixed via a firmware update.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by smaglik (Post 780575)
my answer is that you are looking for pc features out of a vehicle, a little much, dont you think?

not all users are compu-geeks like yourself (which is apparent, if you've spent the $$ to buy a 32gb jump drive, since they are still quite a bit more than the 16gb models). feel free to respond to that or anything else i've pointed out. Actually, don't waste your time. I won't waste mine reading it.

My phone works in this way, I really don't think it's too much to ask.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 12:52 PM

BTW, the Fit is my girlfriend's car. I don't see how any guy would willingly buy a 4 cyl subcompact car unless he just didn't have the budget to find anything better.

mike2100 11-28-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueFitSport (Post 780594)
BTW, the Fit is my girlfriend's car. I don't see how any guy would willingly buy a 4 cyl subcompact car unless he just didn't have the budget to find anything better.

Only a guy that doesn't need to compensate for anything.

Moderators, can we clean up this trash thread?

Virtual 11-28-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mike2100 (Post 780611)

I agree. It's not a "girl" car. It's an economical practical car.

USB isn't even a requirement for such a car. My LX doesn't have it and I don't need it.

Moderators needed here.

BlueFitSport 11-28-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mike2100 (Post 780611)

That's what all poor people say.

Btrthnezr3 11-28-2009 10:21 PM

You can have all the money in the world and not feel the need to flash it.
Having a big, bad, expensive car does not make you a good person...it makes you a fawkin slave to what "they" tell you that you are supposed to have.

BlueFitSport 11-29-2009 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3 (Post 780738)
You can have all the money in the world and not feel the need to flash it.
Having a big, bad, expensive car does not make you a good person...it makes you a fawkin slave to what "they" tell you that you are supposed to have.

Read my last post.