Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   roof racks on long term (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/52873-roof-racks-long-term.html)

09blackfit 03-17-2010 11:20 AM

I too have favored Yakima over Thule for pervious vehicles (Volvo S40 and Yaris). Both systems worked out fine with the same mounting systems (specific clips to each vehicle). The rack on my fit was also installed with specific clips and per Yakima's instructions. I don't know how it shifted and became angled, but it did.

I know this is one person's story (2 on this thread with issues thus far) but I would not recommend that anyone with an 09/10 fit install this rack using the Yakima Q tower system. The design is flawed with the way it sits on the fit. I would say if you're a better safe than sorry person, go with the aftermarket hitch and rear mount (also better on gas mileage) or get some permanent rails installed for the Yakima Control tower system.

I'm just trying to prevent other fit owners from harming their precious vehicles.

Ultrawolf 03-17-2010 11:58 AM

[quote=nothing;827216] :rolleyes: I just assumed that the feet would straddle, or at least mount close to, the gutter on the roof.quote]

The fact that the Yakima feet don't straddle the gutter chose me to rule out Yakima. That's just a personal decision based on my impression of the design. I figure the gutter ridge is a nice stiff part of the roof, and the black strip inboard of it probably hides a weld seam, which is another stiffener. I actually bought the Inno rack because I needed a rack fairly quickly and at the time it was the only one that I could confirm 100% as straddling the gutter.

nothing - try mounting your Yakima rack without loading it up, and just gently push up and down on the ends of the bars, simulating what you think the loading might be from whatever you're hauling plus some dynamic loads from bouncing or wind gusts from trucks. You may or may not see the roof deform under the feet, which might help you decide whather you want to stick with the Yakima rack.

nothing 03-17-2010 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will throw the rack on there and apply some force to it to see how it reacts.

I seem to remember reading the in fine print in the instructions for the Q-clips with respect to mounting to the Fit (it was one of the end notes) that it is critical to have the placement exact. I guess this is Yakima's admission that there is very little leeway for the Fit's installation, whereas other vehicles it probably doesn't matter as much if you're out by an inch or two. And so you do your best to place it just so and then the rack shifts due to loading and you're SOL. :rolleyes:

aaronlwhite 04-04-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by midnightrun (Post 810568)
I keep mine on all the time. Rain, snow, anything... It's up there.

What rack fits your 2009 sport?

stlfit 04-04-2010 08:09 PM

Avoid the weather: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...tml#post836178

2-Fits 05-24-2010 08:57 PM

We have '09 Base (manual) & '10 Base (auto) Fits. And we have a 15 ft. canoe. We read the post by PaFitter who mentioned tying down the bow and stern, and know this is critically important. On our previous cars we had locations on the body frame front and back to easily do just that. However, how do you do this on the Fit, with no frame tie-down locations?

2-Fits

Ultrawolf 05-24-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2-Fits (Post 861030)
We have '09 Base (manual) & '10 Base (auto) Fits. And we have a 15 ft. canoe. We read the post by PaFitter who mentioned tying down the bow and stern, and know this is critically important. On our previous cars we had locations on the body frame front and back to easily do just that. However, how do you do this on the Fit, with no frame tie-down locations?

Here's what I did:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post755027

2-Fits 05-25-2010 09:38 PM

Thanks so much for the link to your description and pictures (although the best part at the bottom didn't show up on the last 2). We'll give this a try.

jzerocsk 07-13-2010 02:57 PM

Sorry to bump a zombie thread...does anyone have any additional/new input? Experiences with Thule racks?

I wanted to get a rack for the 1-2x/year I'd need to transport my kayak or perhaps bikes or a roof basket/box. I thought the Yakima looked a little better as it has a slightly higher weight limit and wider bar spread than Thule (I read that narrow bar spread may make the rack incompatible with some accessories). I had interpreted the higher weight limit as an indicator that the clamps were slightly stronger.

Thule's product line is also confusing in that they have many different feet/towers available (4 specified for GE Fit) but it's not clear what is different between them.

But based on these posts, perhaps the Thule is the safer option, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had success (or lack thereof) with Thule. The lower weight limit/bar spread is really negligible at the end of the day...seems like most of the accessories would work.

Ultrawolf 07-13-2010 09:31 PM

There are also a couple of new posts in the "Fit for Kayaks" thread I referenced above. I still haven't seen a Thule rack configured for a Fit. My Inno rack is still working fine but I've only used it for short (~10 mile) trips.

Hirpm 07-30-2010 06:53 PM

Q Towers Tore Up Door Seal On 2008 Fit

I ordered everything for my fit specifically got home from the first trip to the lake 63 miles and took the rack off, The door Seals were slit where the rack foot hit them. All four places were damaged. the seals are very fragile and the rack clips kill them. now I have a new 2010 and am not sure what my next plan is when the weather breaks. Only hauling one 45 lb kayak.

jzerocsk 07-30-2010 10:15 PM

I just got a secondhand Thule kit...between here and a couple other reviews, it sounds like the Yakima is not ready for prime time.

I can't install it until the fit kit arrives, but I'll be sure to let everyone know.

jzerocsk 08-31-2010 05:50 PM

OK I said I'd let everyone know...

I got a set of secondhand Thule 400 Aero feet and 50" bars on craigslist. They are probably 10+ years old.

I then got the Fit Kit 2199 which is specifically designed for the GE Fit. The pads/clamps are clearly custom-molded for each car. The seller gave me Fit Kits for both a late 90s Camry and a late 90s RSX and they are completely different than the parts in the 2199 kit. The rubber pads exactly match the contour of the roof and the gutter strip.

Took the kayak approx 120 miles at 60-65MPH. No play on the feet before or after the trip out or back.

So I would say I'm happy with the Thule solution. I imagine the more modern Thule feet are even better/easier to install, but I saved a good $300+ buying a used base rack.

Krimson_Cardnal 08-31-2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by stlfit (Post 836188)

Bumping this, good post - good solution. Pack around it.

LeafEater 09-01-2010 07:31 AM

I used my Thule system on my civic for years.. lugging my 14' kayak all over Florida even at 80mph on the highway.. no problems what-so-ever, and no dents or any indication it was ever on my roof.

I used it for many many other things also, hauling lumber, ladders, I even put a giant Cat Condo on it one time lol.. who needs a pick-up truck! :)

*Note; I would take it off when I wasn't using it, the wind noise is a drag, and having it on definitely affects your gas mileage.

jzerocsk 09-01-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 904880)
Bumping this, good post - good solution. Pack around it.

Decent solution for bikes...utterly useless for us paddlers :D

Krimson_Cardnal 09-01-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by jzerocsk (Post 905366)
Decent solution for bikes...utterly useless for us paddlers :D

Looks like I missed the part where the paddler bumped the bikers thread..;) Sorry 'bout that.