Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Is Wheel Alignment covered under the New Car Warranty? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/52928-wheel-alignment-covered-under-new-car-warranty.html)

bojackson63044 02-08-2010 07:37 PM

Is Wheel Alignment covered under the New Car Warranty?

I went in to get an alignment check after hitting a giant pothole in Lawrence, KS. My Left Rear is a bit over with a 0.33 degree toe. Does anyone know whether wheel alignment is covered under the Honda warranty?

Note: the pothole was hit with the front right, not the left rear.

Thanks in advance!

Also, watch out if you're ever in Lawrence, KS, the city does not take care of their roads!

moniz 02-08-2010 07:42 PM

Well considering it's not a factory defect, and presumed to be aligned when delivered to you, but as a result of you hitting a pothole, you are now out of alignment, then no not covered by any warranty.

vinn 02-08-2010 07:48 PM

ahahhahah you wish!

no its not covered but you know what? it doesnt hurt to try

SilverBullet 02-08-2010 07:50 PM

If under 1 year and 12000 miles it might be. Dont tell them you hit a pot hole. 4 wheel alignment is under a 100 dollars if not. Look for coupons and have tires rotated too.

rhyneba 02-08-2010 08:50 PM

Rear wheel alignment of a USDM GE appears to require either a new rear axle or bending of said axle. If anyone can be more authoritative on this please confirm. My parts catalog shows just the axle, spindle to spindle one part. My left rear tow is minimally out, your .33 is going to chew up tires.

An alignment due to physical damage is not covered by warranty.

bojackson63044 02-08-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by moniz (Post 811042)
Well considering it's not a factory defect, and presumed to be aligned when delivered to you, but as a result of you hitting a pothole, you are now out of alignment, then no not covered by any warranty.

Sorry for not clarifying, the flat I had from hitting the pothole was on the front right, which was within normals for the alignment. The Left Rear didn't actually get close to the pothole at all. That's why I was wondering if it's more of a factory defect vs. accidental damage.

moniz 02-08-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bojackson63044 (Post 811091)
Sorry for not clarifying, the flat I had from hitting the pothole was on the front right, which was within normals for the alignment. The Left Rear didn't actually get close to the pothole at all. That's why I was wondering if it's more of a factory defect vs. accidental damage.

Well then don't mention the pothole and just say you noticed the rear feels off. Still it's a long shot because alignment can be knocked off just by everyday driving. It would have to be pretty obvious defect for them to consider it under warranty

bojackson63044 02-08-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rhyneba (Post 811086)
Rear wheel alignment of a USDM GE appears to require either a new rear axle or bending of said axle. If anyone can be more authoritative on this please confirm. My parts catalog shows just the axle, spindle to spindle one part. My left rear tow is minimally out, your .33 is going to chew up tires.

An alignment due to physical damage is not covered by warranty.

Is 0.33 really that bad? The tire shop guys didn't seem to think much of it. They told me to rotate my tires w/ every oil change.

rhyneba 02-08-2010 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by bojackson63044 (Post 811105)
Is 0.33 really that bad? The tire shop guys didn't seem to think much of it. They told me to rotate my tires w/ every oil change.

Optimal spec is zero, plus or minus .10 degrees. Mine is .22, yours .33, more than triple the max. The reason they didn't make a big deal about is because little can be done without replacing parts.

I do plan on fixing mine but likely will do so with brute force. Mine is enough that if you leave a tire on that corner more than a few thousand miles it starts a diagonal wear bar in the tire. Of course, I have these shite Bridgestone EL470s.

DRGW_Tunnelmotor 02-11-2010 09:49 PM

This will NOT be covered under warranty since it is damage from road hazard and not a defect, sorry!:o BTW I have about 5 curb/pothole damaged accord rims in my garage that I have collected over the past year, they should make great planters once spring comes!

Konservative 02-12-2010 04:25 AM

You would have to spin it carefully, make it sound like you got it messed up not you damaged it and you may have a shot. That is just how you need to deal with dealers....I don't like it either...

Yeah and the toe is only off on one side right? That is gonna be bad for sure. Although it would be an excuse for new tires soon if you wanna just rotate em until they all die.

zulu 02-13-2010 09:15 AM

Hmmm... i guess i have a different take. Don't try to scam the dealer off something shoddy like this. No it's not covered and if you are upset about the cost, send the bill to the City of Lawrence and demand the pothole be fixed.

I'd try to avoid letting them know you're a Mizzu fan though ;)

bojackson63044 02-13-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by zulu (Post 813007)
Hmmm... i guess i have a different take. Don't try to scam the dealer off something shoddy like this. No it's not covered and if you are upset about the cost, send the bill to the City of Lawrence and demand the pothole be fixed.

I'd try to avoid letting them know you're a Mizzu fan though ;)

Lol, point noted :)