Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Ford Fiesta, a Fit Killer? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/54647-ford-fiesta-fit-killer.html)

vwli 04-09-2010 02:30 PM

Ford Fiesta, a Fit Killer?

I have been checking out the new Ford Fiesta. All the available spec are better than the Fit other than cargo volume. Estimated 40mpg on hwy comparing with the Fit 33mpg. The styling is good. Pricing is comparable to Fit. Have to wait to see more car reviews on the Fiesta.

socalkid1 04-09-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by vwli (Post 838867)
...All the available spec are better than the Fit other than cargo volume...

not in my eyes because this statement.

i think the new Focus will challenge other similar hatches like the Mini. Edmunds did a really good comparison of the Ford (i believe euro model) to the Fit Sport and basically concluded what you wrote... out of the box the Ford was sportier to drive, had nice materials and the same mpg if not better... but the utility and space in the Ford was basically a joke, i think even the Mini would have more cargo room.

to me the space and utility of the Fit is what sets it apart from other similar cars, and was one of the main reasons i bought my car

mynameisphunk 04-09-2010 03:09 PM

The Fiesta wouldn't have beaten the Fit for me, because of the cargo volume issue. I'll be curious to see real-world fuel mileage numbers on the Fiesta, as I can easily break 40mpg on a tank in the Fit, which is only rated at 33mpg highway. If the Fiesta can best its EPA ratings by that much of a margin, 50mpg should be possible.

huisj 04-09-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by socalkid1 (Post 838884)
i think even the Mini would have more cargo room.

That might be a bit of a stretch.

But, yes, the Fit's cargo carrying ability is the big big advantage the Fit has over the Fiesta.

Stormtrooper 04-09-2010 03:20 PM

The only Ford Id buy:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ocus-500rs.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ocus-500rs.jpg

FitDEEZ 04-09-2010 03:22 PM

never.. I think the fit is just a better car no matter what the numbers or stats say.. it looks better to.

socalkid1 04-09-2010 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by huisj (Post 838898)
That might be a bit of a stretch...

check out the below pictures and tell me what you think? i think the Mini definitely has more usuable space than the Fiesta due to its boxier shape and the hatch door shape

(picture #7)

Comparison Test: 2007 Mini Cooper S vs. 2008 Volvo C30

(picture #12)

Comparison Test: 2009 Ford Fiesta Titanium vs. 2009 Honda Fit Sport

vwli 04-09-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by socalkid1 (Post 838914)
check out the below pictures and tell me what you think? i think the Mini definitely has more usuable space than the Fiesta due to its boxier shape and the hatch door shape

(picture #7)

(picture #12)

Thanks for the comparison link. I bet info on the US version will be available very soon.

huisj 04-09-2010 03:37 PM

One interesting thing about the Fiesta is that the tests that have been published so far have pretty much still been on the Euro-spec version.

Edmunds tested a Euro one, and they mentioned in it that they estimated the cargo capacity of the hatch was about 10 cubic ft., and with the seats folded it was about 34. That's not great at all.
2009 Ford Fiesta Titanium Full Test and Video on Inside Line

They also criticized the way the seat folds in this test against the Fit (it was the same car and most of the pictures are the same).

However, I found something strange on Ford's website. They list the 5-door cargo area at 15.4 cubic ft., which is really quite good for a car that size (still not as good as the Fit). But then they list the total capacity with the seats down at only 26 cubic ft., which is horrible.
2011 Ford Fiesta Cargo Capacity | The Official Site of the 2011 Ford Fiesta | FordVehicles.com

I really think the Fiesta is an outstanding looking car (though I like the front end treatment on the Euro one way better than on the US one--the grill insert looks cheap, and the stupid led light bars and chrome surrounds look tacky, much worse than the simple round foglamps on the Euro one). If the driving dynamics live up to what the early tests say, it sounds like it would be great. But the pathetic seat folding problem is an issue. Why they can't make the bottom cushion flip up forward to make the seat fold flatter (like in my old Focus ZX3), I have no idea.

huisj 04-09-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by socalkid1 (Post 838914)

(picture #7)

(picture #12)

What I think is that the perspective in the Mini picture makes it look way bigger than it really is. Scroll farther and look at the picture of the rear seat--you can see just how close the seat is to the back of the car. The back of a Mini is tiny. They list it at 5.7 cubic feet.

The trunk in the Fiesta may not be any wider, but it's probably twice as deep from the lip by the bumper to the seatback.

Shockwave199 04-09-2010 04:27 PM

It wouldn't have killed the Fit for me because of the name....FORD. I've owned a number of Fords throughout my life. All of them let me down as time wore on. Never, ever again. I don't care what they promise.

YMMV.

Dan

socalkid1 04-09-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by huisj (Post 838926)
What I think is that the perspective in the Mini picture makes it look way bigger than it really is. Scroll farther and look at the picture of the rear seat--you can see just how close the seat is to the back of the car. The back of a Mini is tiny. They list it at 5.7 cubic feet.

The trunk in the Fiesta may not be any wider, but it's probably twice as deep from the lip by the bumper to the seatback.

that number you quote for the Mini is with the rear seat backs up and in that configuration the Fiesta does have more room (though i think we agree in either car with the seats up the space is pretty weak).

with the seats down in the Mini the space increases pretty dramatically to 24 cu ft versus the Fiesta's 26 cu ft. i think that speaks volumes (no pun intended) right there. combined with a more efficient hatch door and boxier roofline, and i think i still stand by my comment that the Mini probably has more usuable space than the Fiesta in that configuration.

Jensen Healy 04-09-2010 04:59 PM

From what I've seen of the Fiesta so far, my feelings are http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/113.gif I'm still waiting to see some reviews though of the production model Fiesta. I'd also
be interested to see how it holds up in the real world too. The 1986 CRX Si
and 2007 Fit Sport I currently own, both gave me a feeling that Honda is
bullet proof. While I still can't get my first taste of FoMoCo out of my head.
My mom owned a Country Squire Wagon when I was a kid, that was
anything but "bullet proof" at the time. Sure that was long ago, but if strong enough first impressions can last http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif

socalkid1 04-09-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jensen Healy (Post 838958)
From what I've seen of the Fiesta so far, my feelings are http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/113.gif I'm still waiting to see some reviews though of the production model Fiesta...

...While I still can't get my first taste of FoMoCo out of my head...

yeah i hear you

you know though, a buddy of mine and his brother both have (maybe) 5 year old Focus', drive the crap out of them, and they're still running fine.

i dont think id ever buy one though!

fit-jagger 04-09-2010 06:08 PM

have you guys seen the episode of top gear when the covered the ford fiesta it was pretty epic haha.... but im a japanese car fan ill never buy domestic sorry if i hurt anyones feelings... bad experiences

Selden 04-09-2010 06:11 PM

Reportedly, Ford has a fleet of 100 loaner Fiestas cruising the country: Fiesta Movement

BUT...

The first hundred cars will be built at Ford’s plant in Cologne, Germany, which has been churning out European Fiestas since last August. Future US models will be built in Cuautitlán, Mexico. The testers will all feature the 1.6-liter Ti-VCT (Twin Intake Variable Cam Timing) gas engine, about which What Car? magazine says is "decently torquey when accelerating gently and cruising, but [it] loves to be revved."
So, the demo models will be German-built, but the ones offered for sale will be built in Mexico. I have no idea which plant will build higher quality cars.

Stormtrooper 04-09-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Selden (Post 838998)
Reportedly, Ford has a fleet of 100 loaner Fiestas cruising the country: Fiesta Movement

BUT...

So, the demo models will be German-built, but the ones offered for sale will be built in Mexico. I have no idea which plant will build higher quality cars.

oh yea, Ive seen one, it's that green color and says the whole slogan and everything. They look nice in person, but I like my fit too much to turn.

jondotcom 04-09-2010 06:44 PM

I also considered waiting for the fiesta to come out. One thing you can guarantee is that markup will be crazy when they come out (like the fit was), and that is a bad thing since I'm somewhat frugal.

The other thing is reliability. Honda will stand behind their product if there's ever a widespread issue, like they did with bad automatic transmissions (my van got a free tranny from Honda at 101k miles after being out of original warranty since 36k). Would ford EVER do that?:rotfl:

I used to like the ford focus svt and considered getting one, but look at them now? They are all falling apart. Look at the same year Hondas and they are still in one piece. Peace-out :vtec:

citabria7 04-09-2010 07:42 PM

The Fiesta certainly is sportier looking. I would have to check performance first hand. Test samples from the car mags are notoriously starry-eyed. MPG doesn't mean much, since I, and many other Fit owners get nearly or over 40 mpg now. I am getting 38.9 in town, and that is without babying it.

citabria7 04-09-2010 07:44 PM

jondotcom...Yeah, Ford has done transmission warranty work on one of my cars with over 100,000 miles on it. Warranty expired years earlier. They tend to look at the long-term prospects. Maybe that is why they are the only non-government owned American car company left.