Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   GE Fit and 6MT (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/58532-ge-fit-6mt.html)

555sexydrive 08-27-2010 02:52 AM

GE Fit and 6MT

Was just perusing ToV and saw this picture...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnV...t-Hybrid-2.jpg

Look closely at the RS under the MT and it looks like it says 6MT. I am going to go to Honda and see if the new catalog is available, I already placed an order for one to be mailed to my place from the Honda website. If this really is the case, hello 6MT and good-bye 5MT. I will definitely look into swapping this mission in. The car really could use the 6th cog when just cruising on the highway.

xSimply 08-27-2010 06:17 AM

That's incredible! I'd love to have 6 gears to cruise in, the other car I own (eg civic hatch) has a b16 tranny b20 engine combo and revs are at 4k when i'm doing 70mph!!

GrocerySnake 08-27-2010 12:49 PM

Is this for the 2011?

jeff_1986 08-27-2010 01:27 PM

Yea having a 6th gear when cruising on the highways would def be nice.

Krimson_Cardnal 08-27-2010 06:46 PM

Sneaky - HA

Black01 08-27-2010 07:00 PM

How much is the transmission and installation? If you are planning to keep the car for a long time or maybe until the end of its life then I will say that its beneficial. If you're keeping the car for about 5 years then will buy a new car after. Just do your math. Money saved on gas with the 6 speed transmission minus the cost of the manual transmission and labor. Not worth it unless you just want to be unique. Just my opinion.

Tofuman 08-27-2010 07:01 PM

Probably the same transmission in the CR-Z.

solbrothers 08-27-2010 07:12 PM

probably never going to recoup the cost. no, definitely never going to

Krimson_Cardnal 08-27-2010 07:47 PM

Not sure I follow the recoup factor.

My FIT is my investment in my driving future. I will invest enough $$'s to assure my goal.
That's my cost/mile. Need to work out a running formula for that.

Recoup, for me, is hard to figure.

555sexydrive 08-27-2010 08:02 PM

Recoup, well the moment you bought the car you lost a shitload of money, but you still bought the car right? So why don't you apply that same logic of replacing a transmission to buying a car? Do you recoup the money everytime you fill up the gas tank and keep repeating this process. Do you recoup the money you spend on clothes and food? Yes these are ignorant questions, but I feel the same way when people talk about recouping money and resale values. I could care less about recouping money, if I did, I woudln't buy a new car and always lose money or other items that are not a necessity. I'm looking at it for the fun factor. It will accelerate a bit quicker with the gear ratios it has, which makes for a much better driving experience. And would it really be different if the models come from the showroom floor with a 6MT?

solbrothers 08-27-2010 08:21 PM

buying mods to save gas is retarded. especially this multi thousand transmission idea.

JDMchris.com 08-27-2010 09:07 PM

except the OP wasnt talking about saving gas. After not too long im sure the tranny will be available for $5-700 bucks... even if its $1000. The fun to drive and driving performance would increase.If it would mate with the L15 from the GD with minimal mods i would want to do it.

JJIN 08-27-2010 09:46 PM

this is funny. light modders/non-modders complaining about what others spend on their cars.

case in point, my sister(super stingy/cheap) would never spend a dime on modding her car. i would drop $2k on just rims in a heart beat to snag a set of bronze mf8 in good condition.

its because she just doesnt care and does not understand the joys of modding her car. its obviously not cost effective, a cars value is meant to decline, why throw money at it?

dont flame 555sexydrive because HE want to spend copious amounts of yen to mod his fit. its HIS money and its HIS car. if you do not understand his reason for certains mods you dont need to understand it. he does things because he wants to, not because someone says its good or bad its because he thinks its good or bad.

p.s. a 6sp mt is not strictly to save on gas. 6 gears will allow shorter gear ratios all the way up till 5th gear and allowing the 6th gear to be a sort of overdrive for low rpm cruising.

The BOM 08-27-2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by JJIN (Post 903489)
this is funny. light modders/non-modders complaining about what others spend on their cars.

case in point, my sister(super stingy/cheap) would never spend a dime on modding her car. i would drop $2k on just rims in a heart beat to snag a set of bronze mf8 in good condition.

its because she just doesnt care and does not understand the joys of modding her car. its obviously not cost effective, a cars value is meant to decline, why throw money at it?

dont flame 555sexydrive because HE want to spend copious amounts of yen to mod his fit. its HIS money and its HIS car. if you do not understand his reason for certains mods you dont need to understand it. he does things because he wants to, not because someone says its good or bad its because he thinks its good or bad.

p.s. a 6sp mt is not strictly to save on gas. 6 gears will allow shorter gear ratios all the way up till 5th gear and allowing the 6th gear to be a sort of overdrive for low rpm cruising.

Amen :cool:

Krimson_Cardnal 08-27-2010 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by JJIN (Post 903489)

No flame intended - I think we all agree.

I have a $120 rear-view mirror that auto-dims and tells me the temp 12" above the pavement. Oh yeah, what direction the FIT is facing as well.

Recouped that investment the first time I read the outside temp.

I would love to cruise the turnpike in 6th, as would my L15.

K_C_:cool:

Koala Yummies 08-27-2010 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com (Post 903484)
except the OP wasnt talking about saving gas. After not too long im sure the tranny will be available for $5-700 bucks... even if its $1000.

I would guess much more. Standard USDM Fit Sport 5-spd M/T full assembly:

20011-RP4-G70 003 001 TRANSMISSION ASSY. 2219.28 1575.69

I would expect it to be more for a 6-spd, plus shipping to United States.

Tofuman 08-27-2010 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Koala Yummies (Post 903527)
I would guess much more. Standard USDM Fit Sport 5-spd M/T full assembly:

20011-RP4-G70 003 001 TRANSMISSION ASSY. 2219.28 1575.69

I would expect it to be more for a 6-spd, plus shipping to United States.

Well what I think most of us are hoping for is that the 6-speed will be available on a future model year Fit in the US and we'd source used ones.

broody 08-28-2010 12:37 AM

If the 6 speed was out on the fit, I would be mad because they didn't put it before.

Type 100 08-28-2010 08:52 AM

Interesting 555. You're really following through on this transmission swap idea? Would love to read up on the build and comparisons with your former gearing.

Would be nice to get feedback from the subjective qualities of the 6MT vs the 5MT - shift quality and such.

wilcoholic 08-28-2010 09:36 AM

I am slightly annoyed that the 6speed was not available from the start. Why didn't they just put it in there from the beginning? Is it cheaper to produce cars with 5sp or something?