Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   It's too Low.. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/59291-its-too-low.html)

Spacecoast 09-22-2010 09:12 PM

It's too Low..

OK, I’m tired of the extremely low position of our 09 Fit. Most parking curbs will scrap the front bumper and you can’t begin to look under the vehicle (like an oil change) without running it up on ramps. I think an inch of raise would solve the parking curb issue. Has anyone raised their vehicle? If so, what was involved and would wheel alignment be an issue?

Occam 09-22-2010 09:29 PM

"I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced in shock at the thought of NOT slamming the car so it could scrape and scuff even more often."

I took one look at the front bumper, just accepted that it was going to be covered in scuffs, but only 4-year olds would ever be low enough to notice it, so shrugged and accepted it. Still annoying to hear it when entering businesses and crossing gutters places across lanes unless you go 2 mph (and even then...)

Spacecoast 09-22-2010 09:33 PM

I

took one look at the front bumper, just accepted that it was going to be covered in scuffs, but only 4-year olds would ever be low enough to notice
Well, I've been past the age of 4 for about 54 years, and today during the oil change I was not happy with what I saw. I heard voices say...higher..higher...

Stormtrooper 09-22-2010 09:39 PM

you are talking about the stock height? your parking curb issue is easy... stop before you hit the curb. the wheel base is short so you wont stick out. I would gather parts for raising a fit would be non existent since aftermarket parts are so hard to come by, I mean its only been about a year that we got parts to lower it...I think you are in the deep minority on this one my friend.

Committobefit08 09-22-2010 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stormtrooper (Post 913651)
you are talking about the stock height? your parking curb issue is easy... stop before you hit the curb. the wheel base is short so you wont stick out. I would gather parts for raising a fit would be non existent since aftermarket parts are so hard to come by, I mean its only been about a year that we got parts to lower it...I think you are in the deep minority on this one my friend.

+1

OP sorry to say it but...learn to park. The fit is no lower than any other stock car in the front. Perk with the Fit like Stormtrooper said..its short. You don't need to pull all the way up in the space. I leave 2 feet between the parking curb and the Fit and I'm still farther in the space than everyone in my row.
As for your problem with changing the oil. All you have to do is jack up one side of the car (preferably the passenger side front) It gives you plenty of room and the oil drains nicely away from other parts under the car. I do this on my TSX and my lowered Fit all the time. There is plenty of room to slide underneath there easily when its jacked up on one side. Just to mention I can't get under my stock height tsx without ramps or jacking it up so your problem is not only with the Fit. Deal with having a car or go buy yourself a truck / SUV.

Good luck :wavey:

ThEvil0nE 09-22-2010 10:28 PM

THIS...

skinny 09-23-2010 12:11 AM

i've seen ppl using parking curbs and sidewalk as bumper rests. they are, in fact, NOT there for you to rest your bumper on. your bumper should not fall off while parked. i always laugh at ppl whose front ends are hanging on the the curb/sidewalk and i know 100% that they have scraped the bottom. it is something that i will always get enjoyment out of seeing. sorry if it sounds mean, and sorry to whoever disagrees with me lol. either these ppl don't care about their cars very much, or they're just pure stupid. i've had my 09 ge sport for 2 years, it has been lowered for 1.5 years, and i have scraped just about nothing. it is definitely not too low at stock height. :)

Slowbros 09-23-2010 12:46 AM

no such thing as too low.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2397/sigtd.jpg

BraytonAK 09-23-2010 01:38 AM

My last car was a PT Cruiser that I had for eight years. As I was researching the Fit, I was a bit concerned about its height. Now that I've been driving the Fit for four months, I've found that there's nothing to worry about. The Fit is not lower than most other cars, unless you count the SUV's.

Like other's have said, learn your boundaries and how to navigate uneven pavement and you'll be fine.

crash001 09-23-2010 04:15 AM

U would have to build custom spacers to lift it wouldn't be too hard but might cost u

phogroian 09-23-2010 08:29 AM

Well, on my '10 Fit Sport I notice that the stock tires are 185/55/16. If I were to replace them someday with a slightly wider and taller tire (195/55/16), the odometer would read slightly lower than actual miles traveled. but the car would be a little higher and I think the tires would look/ride nice. I'll consider that option when I get to that point. That's a whole lot easier than doing suspension work. You don't want the Fit to be too high, anyway- Being careful is the key. I had to park in a field yesterday, and I took the drop from the pavement to the turf slowly, and no bodywork bottomed out.

Some Prius owners replace their stock (Bridgestone) Turanza 195/55/16 tires to Falken Ziex ZE-912 195/55/16 tires when the originals wear out- they are reasonably priced and highly regarded.

Are you running on 15" base model rims or 16" "sport" wheels?

Krimson_Cardnal 09-23-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE (Post 913669)

I like this solution, not sure it will handle the Fit's blazing 114HP, however - GREAT find again EvilOne!!!

Spacecoast 09-23-2010 09:20 AM

Since this was my original post, let me address a few items. Yes, I do know how to park...but I'm not the primary driver, and lessons have been learned. Second, the car is lower than most other cars. I have an 07 stock Toyota Corolla and the Toyota has about 2'" in additional front bumper height..and no scrapes. And yes, when I change the oil in the Honda I run it up on some 2X4's and I don't see that as a big issue. I can't see trying to do an oil change without raising the vehicle in one way or another.

Regardless, I would like to add anywhere from 1" to 1.5" of additional height. I was hoping that there might be an easy fix...and when it comes to changing to new tires, a larger size will be used without doubt (maybe 205/55-16?).

And by the way...even my cat has a hard time getting under the Honda....

txmatt 09-23-2010 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Spacecoast (Post 913785)
Regardless, I would like to add anywhere from 1" to 1.5" of additional height. I was hoping that there might be an easy fix...and when it comes to changing to new tires, a larger size will be used without doubt (maybe 205/55-16?).

I just went through this. 205/50's are fine. Tire Rack said 205/55 may rub (apparently tight clearance with some suspension pieces). I asked a couple times on here and nobody seems to be running 205/55's that could speak to whether they ACTUALLY rub, just speculation. I wasn't willing to risk a $300+ purchase that I couldn't return if they rubbed bad. Ended up going with 205/50's and will continue to deal with lowness.

Black3sr 09-23-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spacecoast (Post 913785)
Since this was my original post, let me address a few items. Yes, I do know how to park...but I'm not the primary driver, and lessons have been learned. Second, the car is lower than most other cars. I have an 07 stock Toyota Corolla and the Toyota has about 2'" in additional front bumper height..and no scrapes. And yes, when I change the oil in the Honda I run it up on some 2X4's and I don't see that as a big issue. I can't see trying to do an oil change without raising the vehicle in one way or another.

And by the way...even my cat has a hard time getting under the Honda....

Check my Avatar. Dropped on Swifts I can iron out a cat to frying pan thickness.

Btrthnezr3 09-23-2010 11:22 AM

205/50's will help a bit...they fit and look meaty...yum.

txmatt 09-23-2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BraytonAK (Post 913727)
The Fit is not lower than most other cars, unless you count the SUV's.

This is not correct...

While the Fit may not be super-low like a slammed sport compact car, it has 6 3/4" clearance at the front overhang which is 4" lower than our V6 Accord coupe, which is itself lower than many cars.

Texas Coyote 09-23-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 913803)
Check my Avatar. Dropped on Swifts I can iron out a cat to frying pan thickness.

Sitting low in the front on Swifts myself, I don't have a problem with armadillos scaring me silly as they roll and bounce between the pavement and the bottom of the car... The front lip works in the same way as a cow catcher on train engines on small critters.... Seriously though, I wish there was a front lip that gradually angled back towards the front wheels.... I don't believe that Fits that are sold in other markets outside of the U.S. and Canada without the extended bumper have the problems with scraping that we do.... Raising the front a little can be achieved by getting some 1/2" rubber matting like is used on the floor of horse trailers at a farm and ranch supply store and cutting round pieces that fit between the top hat of the front struts and the top of the strut towers.There is plenty of threads on the strut shaft to allow this and it will not increase the stiffness of the springs... The same can be done with the rear springs but doing so will firm up the ride a little which isn't a bad thing on the rear....

dela 09-23-2010 01:01 PM

raise your car? get EXTRA stiff springs... lol

hayden 09-23-2010 01:22 PM

You should have done as I did, and gotten a used Fit that is pre-scuffed. Has helped with my mentality around it anyways.