Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Fit Navi with Insight XM module? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/59381-fit-navi-insight-xm-module.html)

biggersavings 09-26-2010 06:31 PM

Fit Navi with Insight XM module?

I was looking at the Honda Insight and noticed it seemed to have the same Navi unit as the Fit. Looking around the web to see if there was anything different I found that there is a Honda XM module for the Insight. The Insight just like the Fit doesn't have any buttons on the Navi for XM however when it is installed two new onscreen buttons for XM1 and XM2 show up next to the onscreen AM/FM buttons. I wonder if the Fit unit has the same software as the Insight and if hooking up the Insight XM module would do the same in the Fit. The installation instructions for the Insight can be found here http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...10/xmradio.pdf

90crxfreak 09-26-2010 10:49 PM

i saw this too and asked honda and its a no....

annunC8 09-27-2010 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by biggersavings (Post 914934)
I was looking at the Honda Insight and noticed it seemed to have the same Navi unit as the Fit. Looking around the web to see if there was anything different I found that there is a Honda XM module for the Insight. The Insight just like the Fit doesn't have any buttons on the Navi for XM however when it is installed two new onscreen buttons for XM1 and XM2 show up next to the onscreen AM/FM buttons. I wonder if the Fit unit has the same software as the Insight and if hooking up the Insight XM module would do the same in the Fit. The installation instructions for the Insight can be found here http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...10/xmradio.pdf

Here's something more strange. I called College Hills Honda, because the new CRX has the exact same navi as the Fit, or, at least it looks just like the Fit navi... same buttons, same everything (even has PC card slot).

The College Hills guy said he too was curious, and they are going to try and install one in a Fit, but it may not be anytime really soon. :( He looked up both units (the Fit navi and the CRX navi), and although they appear to be the same units, the CRX navi is almost $500.00 cheaper than the Fit unit! How's that for maddening - if the Fit unit in fact will not accept the CRX or Insight XM Navi module? If this is true, I'm actually kinda' p!$$ed about it, myself. Rather cheap of Honda to do so, if you ask me.

Personally? I don't buy it! :rolleyes: I think if anything, all GE8 units would need is a software/firmware update in order to be able to accept one of the modules. The support guy at College Hills even said the rear of the Fit and CRX units are identical. The CRX takes a split type of Y-cord/harness out of the back of the input that allows the XM module to be used, and all functions seen and controlled via AUX.

Maybe Fit navi users can complain enough and Honda will do something about the update(s)?

At the very least, I think it's rather odd. Honda has been using these units in Civics and other models for a really long time now (years). I can't see Honda producing 5-10 different navi units for different vehicles. Hell, no one can even get them to change the one they've used for so long now. What makes anyone think they are going to spring the costs necessary to produce multiple [radically different] nav units.

Again, I think it's the exact same unit. Although, the cheaper price between the replacement CRX/Insight navi and the Fit navi truly has me stumped. Unless Honda is feeling guilty for shoving the very same navi unit on their customers for so many years now. Maybe so, and they lowered the price? Maybe they purchased so many of them unit cost is actually cheaper than it used to be.

I have an external XM module for my Fit, but it sure would be nice to have a dedicated one.

I'm going to do some more checking (and complaining to Honda :hyper: :p). If I come up with anything else I'll definitely post.

JamesBond007 09-27-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by biggersavings (Post 914934)
I was looking at the Honda Insight and noticed it seemed to have the same Navi unit as the Fit.

I too am hoping for the same thing. Paying $1200 extra for a built-in navigation system that doesn't have an option for integrated satellite radio is my number one complaint about my Fit. Normally I would have just gone without the Navi and upgraded the stock Sport radio, but then you lose the steering wheel controls and - most importantly - the electronic stability control (allegedly a feature that as a standalone option on other make/models costs about $300).

Anyway ... here's hoping College Hills can come up with something. I too am thinking that if plugging in the Insight's XM module doesn't work, then all the nav unit would need is a firmware update. Of course, that could be easier said than done.

90crxfreak 09-27-2010 10:51 AM

I purchased the fit with the navigation because of the CSA that comes with it.