2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you avoid getting your caps stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 AM
How do you avoid getting your caps stolen?

This is just a general question about custom hubcaps.

I admire them and would someday love to get them for my Fit. However, I know how costly these suckers can be and wondered how many had them and if they were constantly worrying about them getting stolen?

Where are some good spots to purchase them?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by SilverLady
This is just a general question about custom hubcaps.

I admire them and would someday love to get them for my Fit. However, I know how costly these suckers can be and wondered how many had them and if they were constantly worrying about them getting stolen?

Where are some good spots to purchase them?
My word of advice would be skip the hub caps and go straight for custom rims. Hubcaps are cheap and in my opinion look like crap. There is no way to secure them on there anymore. Rims on the other hand look nicer (but are more costly) but can be very secure and you don't have to worry as much about theft if you get wheel locks.

Amazon.com: McGard 24137 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4: Automotive

Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Garage keeps thieves away.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
which caps are you talking about? the most expensive hub caps i've ever seen are like $20 for a set.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member

In all seriousness though, it'll be hard to prevent the hubcaps from being stolen when you car isn't in your garage or being watched since they can be popped off with a screwdriver. The only ways you can easily prevent your hubcaps from being stolen is either remove and store them away or get a set of wheels with the appropriate locking lug nuts and store the steelies with the hubcaps away.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Aha.

My brother has some incredible rims, but then again, he's driving a pretty pricey import. It's now occurred to me that the times I've been "wowed" by some car's caps just may have been rims, instead.

Alas, no garage have we.

Thanks for answering my question, Hootie, z06dustin, Lyon, and Committobefit08.

And Committobefit08, finally! A fellow Columbus Fit owner! I've seen a few SSM Fits around town. I was almost tempted to leave flyers on some of the parked ones, asking, "Are you on Fit Freak?" Of course, I could be seen as some weird stalker, too...

A few years ago, I saw a SSM Fit getting onto 270 West from the Georgesville Road exit. I told my husband to see if he could drive closer so I could see the model of the car. I remembered say, "Fit? There's a car named Fit? But I love the way it looks!" Never thought I'd actually have one someday, but there you go. Love my Fit!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about you but the Fit looks pretty badass with just the steelies....just my 2 cents though. If you don't like the look then rims would be the way to go, since you can usually get lighter wheels than the stock ones. Bottom line is, if thieves have their eye on your wheels or hubs or whatever, chances are they'll get them, especially if they're easy to pop up off like hub caps!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
My word of advice would be skip the hub caps and go straight for custom rims. Hubcaps are cheap and in my opinion look like crap. There is no way to secure them on there anymore. Rims on the other hand look nicer (but are more costly) but can be very secure and you don't have to worry as much about theft if you get wheel locks.

Amazon.com: McGard 24137 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4: Automotive
I just checked your detailing service page. I can only say this...

WOW. Wow, wow, wow! You are a miracle worker. Those cars looked absolutely stunning!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I don't know about you but the Fit looks pretty badass with just the steelies....just my 2 cents though. If you don't like the look then rims would be the way to go, since you can usually get lighter wheels than the stock ones. Bottom line is, if thieves have their eye on your wheels or hubs or whatever, chances are they'll get them, especially if they're easy to pop up off like hub caps!
I go back and forth on any mods, to be honest. First, I truly am pretty satisfied with my Fit as is. But then sometimes I look at the photos here and think, "Ooo, I like the way that looks... maybe..."

Then again, I'm a middle-aged lady, not a 19-year old guy who treats a car like a lover... I mean, I love my Fit but I also have other bills to pay... lol

Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
you don't have to go crazy like some of us, but don't be afraid to make it your own. and about the hubcaps/rims. just get rims, the actually add value to your car.

ps, go buckeyes!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by SilverLady
I just checked your detailing service page. I can only say this...

WOW. Wow, wow, wow! You are a miracle worker. Those cars looked absolutely stunning!

Thanks for the kind words. I am not on here very much but if you ever need detailing done feel free to contact me from my number on my website. Yes, I do paint correction but I also polish "jewel" and seal the paint that is already is perfect condition to make sure is stays that way. It's a good thing to do especially before winter and road salt. Anyways I hope to see you around Columbus sometime.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 10-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.