Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   AM I NUTS? Trading in my 2010 Fit Auto w/ only 210 miles! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/62820-am-i-nuts-trading-my-2010-fit-auto-w-only-210-miles.html)

jashton 02-16-2011 12:44 AM

AM I NUTS? Trading in my 2010 Fit Auto w/ only 210 miles!

6 Attachment(s)
Well maybe not exactly.

I purchased a brand new 2010 Taffeta White Fit Sport with an automatic transmission this past Saturday. The long story short is I was convinced I needed to purchase an automatic. After just 125 miles on my ticker (the car had 85 when I purchased it), I really and I mean really started questioning my decision. I actually was getting quite upset. I felt that I out-thought myself into buying what was practical. In all reality this would be practical considering I will be driving at least 30,000 miles each year alone on business and may have rush our traffic in some situations.

So I called my Honda dealership and after a few minutes on the phone the salesman notified me a switch could be made. I found out today there are no available M/T Honda Fits in White (2010 or 2011). So I had him look up Silver and he was able to locate a 2011 Storm Silver Fit Sport with M/T.

After paying $17,900 OTD tax, tag, title etc. he notified me that OTD on the new fit I would be at $18,700 which would cost me a difference of $800 to ultimately cover the transfer of the vehicle from about two hours away along with some other BS. Anyways the mistake I made I kind of feel fortunate that it is only $800.

Some background on my car owning exp.

2004 Honda Civic Si
1999 Civic Hatch
2006 Ford Mustang GT (I still own this)
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
2008 Honda Civic Si
1993 Civic Hatch
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
1992 Civic Hatch

Every single car has been a manual transmission, but my dilemma still continues. Should I be rational and realize I should keep the 2010 Fit Auto because of my daily work situation or follow my car enthusiast path and say I can handle the rush hour traffic and extended daily driving time?

Help me verify my decision. The 2011 Fit M/T has been pulled for me until tomorrow when I give the Sales Manager my final decision.

I have posted a pole to see what you think. I would also love to hear from people who have a similar scenario as myself.

I know i'm nuts, but for almost 18 grand I want to be confident I made the right decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

:confused:

UPDATE FOR FUN.

Pictures of some of my previous rides:
Attachment 38491
Attachment 38492
Attachment 38493
Attachment 38494
Attachment 38495

I still have this one:
Attachment 38496

Olyar15 02-16-2011 01:04 AM

I drive a M/T Fit as my daily driver, with virtually all in rush hour traffic. The clutch doesn't bother me at all. It is so light and the shifter so smooth that I don't find it tiring at all. All the cars I've bought have been manual trannies. Probably the next car I get would have a flappy-paddle trannie since true manuals are getting rare, but I always opt for the manual box.

So, if you really like driving a stick shift, I say go for the trade.

TurboManGT 02-16-2011 01:05 AM

Do it!! You'll have way more fun with the MT.

Pooks 02-16-2011 01:09 AM

I was a similar situation deciding between manual and auto. Ultimately I went with auto simply because it still has sport mode. It isn't the same as a manual but with the amount of rush hour driving I do in LA it is nice to have both options.

With that said the 2011 does have VSA which is nice as well as a few other extras, so that $800 might be worth it in that sense.

Good luck with the decision.

jashton 02-16-2011 01:11 AM

Olyar,

The manuals are hard to find but if you go to the right dealership they will find anything you want in the state.

Well right now you and Turboman GT have reassured my decision thus far. :)

2Fit 02-16-2011 01:13 AM

In my little experience of owning cars I would never go back to auto ... only if it was a luxury car like a Lexus of some sort or an SUV. I've driven an Audi A4 that was 5 spd and I modded it with coilover, rims, tune, intercooler etc. etc. Not once did I regret it. I then got into a 2010 Evo X and I can't even remotely imagine that in an Auto.

With that said and being financially responsible I got rid of the evo and picked up a fit. The only way I would drive a fit is if it's manual and I find it incredibly fun. The fit itself just impresses me and bottom line I couldn't be happier. I think going with the manual is great ... I would do the same since I've driven an Auto fit and tried the paddle shifter and it's no where near the experience of driving manual.

Not sure if any of this helps you since it just sounds like me rambling lol. Good luck!

Hootie 02-16-2011 01:16 AM

Well, that depends on what do you want and what do you need?

Three key things to consider with this is the car's depreciation if you decide to trade and the pros and cons between the manual and auto transmissions.

For one, you will get less trade in value for the '10 due to it being considered used once you sell it (of course) and a little less since the new 2011 year model is out.

Another thing to think about is the driving conditions your work situation has you drive in. If you are going to be in a lot of stop and go situations with a little highway action occasionally, then a manual would be fine and may even yield better fuel economy than your current auto Fit. On the other hand, if you do a ton of highway/freeway driving and seldom do stop and go traffic then you're auto may be the way to go since it has taller gearing to aid in highway fuel mileage.

Last but not least is your driving preference. Yes, rowing through the gears of a proper manual gear box is the icing on the car for any car enthusiast but for *insert the initial price difference* is it really worth it to you? If so, how about the amount of time it'll take you to recoup the your cash from that price difference by running and maintaining the manual vs keeping the automatic.

Once you give this a thought you may have a better idea on which choice to make on your decision.

jashton 02-16-2011 01:38 AM

Well I figure the $800 on the 2011 model will be made mostly up on resale. The additional cost isn't much of concern especially since i'm going from a 2010 to 2011 and the difference is only $800. I drive in a mixture of highway and city and conditions vary based on the area and traffic scenarios for that day.

2fit, I respect your decision for changing from the Evo to a Fit and i'm sure some of your friends question your decision. I bet in the end you are probably pretty happy with your decision. I don't know if it was heavily modded but sometimes the simplicity of a car like the Fit can easily be overlooked and that in all honesty is what makes these cars great IMO.

RubyQQ1211 02-16-2011 01:39 AM

You posted this thread because you want the change. You made a mistake because you didn't study before going into the dealership. On the point of view of the dealership, they are doing business. Ignore the color factor, it only cost you $800 more to get a newer year, with VSA, maybe less miles and a manual tran. that you are looking for. I would say take it and enjoy the manual, that's the most important.

jashton 02-16-2011 01:49 AM

Ruby,

TBH I did plenty of planning over the past few months all down to paying for this car in cash. It wasn't until I drove the car for the 115 miles that I realized I may have made a mistake.

Just to make this straight, i'm not actually trading in the car as if I was just coming off the street. They are basically refunding my money and i'm paying for $18,700 OTD for the 2011 Fit Sport Manual.

I needed this car for my job which is why I chose the manual, but after owning it (my first automatic) I have felt as if something is missing.

I really appreciate your input and vote! Getting the 2011 year along with VSA are definitely attractive.

GGPJON 02-16-2011 02:54 AM

first off, clean rides, bro! Do what makes you happy. Why drive something that doesn't make you happy?

Also, SSM is no longer used in 2011. It's PMM now, which looks much nicer IMO.

Hootie 02-16-2011 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by GGPJON (Post 961931)
Also, SSM is no longer used in 2011. It's PMM now, which looks much nicer IMO.

[off topic]

Very close, Alabaster Silver Metallic actually replaced SSM. Polished Metal Metallic is more than likely the replacement for Black Berry Pearl when it comes to dark colors.

[/end off topic]

jashton 02-16-2011 03:15 AM

You are absolutely right, I will be getting Alabaster Silver not Storm.

Vash 02-16-2011 08:19 AM

you remind me of myself... i almost bought an automatic transmission.. and what it came down too was that i just don't enjoy driving automatic cars...

after test driving the manual it was sealed... it was hands down the best manual car i have ever driven (perhaps because I was used to driving on a spec stage III clutch on a mustang, and anything coming from that is easy...)

ricks 02-16-2011 08:35 AM

MT or auto

After 6 months and 18000 miles I would probably go from MT to auto. No problems with MT other than the throw (or what ever you call it) is a bit long.

thanks
rick

know-nothin 02-16-2011 08:50 AM

Life is too short to be saddled with a car you're unhappy with--especially for $800 difference. Even when stuck in traffic jams, I've never reconsidered buying my MT. I'm 53 years old and buy a new car very rarely. I just hope next time around, I still have the option of an MT car that I like and can afford.

bboarder711 02-16-2011 08:57 AM

DO IT! hahaha this is the first MT car I have every owned my legend being an AT and driving that for the past 10 years I thought i would have problems. My daily 30mile commute is all red lights and I love running through the gears. My parents keep telling me im gona regret this decision when i get into some heavy traffic on the highway...... I am NEVER (knock on wood) in the traffic laiden areas near me sooo

$800 is allot cheaper then a manual swap

here is my alabaster silver MT just over 600 miles on the clock
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/...9aa65cd7_b.jpg

Committobefit08 02-16-2011 09:01 AM

Different strokes for different folks... do what makes YOU happy. A poll of others opinions is worthless imo.

SSMTEN 02-16-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ricks (Post 961977)
After 6 months and 18000 miles I would probably go from MT to auto. No problems with MT other than the throw (or what ever you call it) is a bit long.

thanks
rick

That was the only annoying thing, but a short shifter fixed that no problem.

MT (for me) is just way for fun to drive. I commute about 40 miles daily in start/stop traffic......and I LOVE my MT.

hayden 02-16-2011 09:25 AM

I went out and bought a bright shiny nicely equipped $28K Passat automatic - ready to "grow up" a few years ago. I was stuck with it for a little less than a year, unlike your fortunate situation, and probably lost a ton more money. It was my first automatic as well, and man, I just couldn't do it. Obviously, to take that big of a hit, it was worth it to me, and a big deal. There is no replacement, so I say, do it. It will open up the car to a lot more fun, and manual transmissions are on their way out of the industry, and I imagine especially for economy cars if having CVT only bumps the whole lineup to where the need to be to meet government regulations over the next 5-10 years. Honestly, if my Fit were auto, even if I liked them, it seems like it might border on being just too slow, as it borders on that already. That's a subjective statement of course. My manual feels pretty quick, more like "responsive" in traffic, and I can zip around good enough.

edit: and I too, love my short shifter. Makes tons of difference to the overall experience, and gives me confidence that my fit can be manned like a performance car and not a spongy eco-driver.