Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Rims for 2010 Sport (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/63934-rims-2010-sport.html)

charmedimsure 04-04-2011 10:12 AM

Rims for 2010 Sport

I have a 2010 Fit Sport. I want to use the same tires that came with the car (185/55 R16) but I want to put plain steel rims on.

After all I have heard about theft, I don't feel comfortable parking it during a road trip this summer unless I have less desirable rims on it on account of the fact that I might be parking in some areas where I'll be vulnerable.

I called Honda and the Parts guys was less than helpful. First he told me I'd need 15s. When I told him I wasn't buying new tires he was like "oh, yeah, we don't have Honda steel rims that will fit those tires. You have to go aftermarket". And that was all the info he had for me :/

So what size exactly do I need. I know they have to be 16" but what width would be perfect? I know that if they don't fit absolutely right then I'll have problems like vibration. Is this the kind of thing that will be readily available, or is this going to be a huge pain in the butt?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ray731 04-04-2011 10:21 AM

wheels and tires

There is a whole section for this. There are a lot of different wheels that will fit. I am by no means a wheel expert. Any 4x100 wheel should bolt on but offset would be key. 98 or 99 Accord LX I believe had 16" steelies but not sure if the offset would work. If you go to the 2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums you would likely get your answer.

Good luck and have a safe trip!:vtec:

-Ray

charmedimsure 04-04-2011 10:34 AM

Yeah. I'm such a girl who knows nothing about cars that I'm totally lost in that section. I have no idea how to wade through all that. Thanks anyway.

Ray731 04-04-2011 10:40 AM

If you were close I'd sell you mine. They have 11 miles on them. :rolleyes: I switched them out the first day I had the car. I'd check the tire shops that work with dealers. They sometimes have "pull offs" which are OEM wheels and tires from the new cars when dealers put aftermarket wheels on them. Or post in 2nd Generation GE8 Specific For Sale/WTB Used Parts Sub-Forum - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums that you want to buy some.

Wish I could be more help.

-Ray

Brain Champagne 04-04-2011 01:12 PM

Assuming you have someplace to store them, it might make sense to buy used (junkyard or craigslist or dealer take-offs) 15" Fit steel rims and get new tires, and use them. But when you're back someplace safe switch back to the 16" alloys. Because your tires will wear out eventually anyway so you're only buying them early (unless you don't keep the car long enough to wear out tires).

hollis 04-04-2011 10:33 PM

Save money and hassle in the long run by going with 15" steelies with new tires. 15" tires will be cheaper, and you'll save by not needing your tires switched-out repeatedly.

Some tire shops will refuse to swap the tires more than a couple of times.

Goobers 04-04-2011 10:47 PM

Or... just buy some wheel locks.

While determined thieves will beat it... not all thieves are determined.

fitchet 04-05-2011 10:59 AM

I'd second Goobers recommendation on this.

Seems like you are opening a huge can of worms just to make your rims "less desirable".

While putting generic or less desirable steel rims on your vehicle certainly would lessen the potential that anyone would steal them, so would buying wheel locks. If your fear is theft primarily during a road trip, where you are likely to be unexpected and moving on....I would think you chances of having your wheels stolen with 1 or 2 sets of wheel locks would be pretty slim.

Given that you seem commited to keeping the same tire's, and equally worried about any issues changing size might create, changing your whole approach might be the best route. You could also call your insurance company and make sure your covered incase this theft occurs.

Philosophically? I tend to think, if you like something, like the better looking sport rims, but let fear of theft move you to placing cheaper or "less desirable" rims on your vehicle, then from one perspective the "Thieves" have already won. You've stolen the OEM sport rims from yourself....

I say, buy a set, maybe two, two different brands of wheel locks. If you going on a road trip, you could make sure your insured against theft...and then simply don't worry about it...

ThEvil0nE 04-05-2011 11:33 AM

+1 on wheel locks

codenamezero 04-05-2011 01:36 PM

You could get some cheap alloy from discounttiredirect.com
Steelies are bad, after a while they just rust to hell, and then it can also be hard to take them off... not to mention the steelies are heavier which could lower your mpg.

kenchan 04-05-2011 04:39 PM

wheel locks dont really do anything other than false sense of insurance.

check out www.tirerack.com for your wheelsets.

also check your local speed shops for ROTA brand wheels. they are mostly knock-offs but they work fine and are pretty cheap.

Goobers 04-05-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by kenchan (Post 980288)
wheel locks dont really do anything other than false sense of insurance.

check out www.tirerack.com for your wheelsets.

also check your local speed shops for ROTA brand wheels. they are mostly knock-offs but they work fine and are pretty cheap.

I bought wheel locks, not to PREVENT theft, but to deter it.

I know how easy it is to beat the typical wheel lock. All you have to do is get a similar size socket and jam it on. This was shown to me by a CALTRANS guy a bit over ten years ago when I had a flat tire getting on the highway (and I couldn't find the socket key, which turned out to be at home).

All these locks with the "unique" splines are the same, defeatable in the same manner. Which is why I got a one with a free spinning outer sleeve. This way, unless they have the master key or a lot of time to cut/bend/break that sleeve, or even other tools (drill out the whole thing), they're less likely to steal my wheels.

Again, it's not a preventive measure, just a deterrence against those that don't want to put the time or effort.

DiamondStarMonsters 04-05-2011 07:00 PM

Or use two sets of wheel locks?

Or a set of locks with a set of spline lugs?

Or one of those south african flame-thrower security systems:
YouTube - South African Car Flamethrower

CNN - Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars - December 11, 1998

:D

mahout 04-05-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by charmedimsure (Post 979777)
I have a 2010 Fit Sport. I want to use the same tires that came with the car (185/55 R16) but I want to put plain steel rims on.

After all I have heard about theft, I don't feel comfortable parking it during a road trip this summer unless I have less desirable rims on it on account of the fact that I might be parking in some areas where I'll be vulnerable.

I called Honda and the Parts guys was less than helpful. First he told me I'd need 15s. When I told him I wasn't buying new tires he was like "oh, yeah, we don't have Honda steel rims that will fit those tires. You have to go aftermarket". And that was all the info he had for me :/

So what size exactly do I need. I know they have to be 16" but what width would be perfect? I know that if they don't fit absolutely right then I'll have problems like vibration. Is this the kind of thing that will be readily available, or is this going to be a huge pain in the butt?

Thanks in advance for any help!

There is a less expensive choice: you could use the specialty wheel nuts, one per wheel, to make thievery a 'little' harder to do. There are some key lock ones but they are costly.
I could only find 16x7 wheels with 4x100 bolt patterns in alloy wheels at discount tire and tire rack. the less expensive ones, ca $85, are not very pretty so that could be a reasonable choice.
In my wheel books I couldn't find 16" steel wheels with 4x100 mm bolt circles so discount tire or Tire rack may be your only choice in a cheap alloy wheel.
You might try going to a junkyard near you and asking them to search for a set of used 16" wheels on a honda with 4 bolt bolt circles. Not too likely but who knows.
good luck.
ps if you decide on 15' wheels there's a bunch of 15x6 etc honda wheels with 4x100 bolt circles, even in junkyards.

specboy 04-05-2011 07:46 PM

Charmed,

One of the big problems is finding a steel wheel in 4x100 lug configuration is almost impossible as no one makes one. The Accord 4 lug wheels are all 4x114.5 so they won't work. Only a few vehicles run 4x100 and in the Honda line, it's been the civic & FIT and neither have ever run steel wheels larger than 15".

Options are essentially:
  1. 15" steel wheel with new tires
  2. 16" ugly as hell alloy wheel and keep your tires but pay to swap over your sensors and tires.
  3. Craigslist 15" alloy wheels (which are very available - look for integra or 2005 or earlier civic wheels)
  4. Wheel Locks.
My suggestion would be locks first, then craigslist alloys (I did this for my winter Wheels).

Also, for the amount you'll spend on finding wheels plus mounting/balancing, you could add an alarm.

~SB

Eric67 04-05-2011 08:57 PM

these wheel locks look great but i'm not sure if they work with OEM wheels cause they are'nt ball seat.

Bull Lock Wheel Locks - Black, Chrome: Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST

maybe someone else chime in?

also maybe tilt alarm?

Goobers 04-07-2011 06:54 AM

Ball Seat conversion washer adapters. & https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ck-wheels.html

I don't know how useful (or even usable) they are... they are so-called adapters that allows you to use conical nuts (most aftermarket) in ball seats (current stock honda).

I forgot that I had replaced my wheels (even more tempting to steal :( ), which was why I was able to use the sleeved locknut (conical seat only, so far).

Some other sites that have talked about switching seat types have mentioned remachining the wheel to accept the other, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, since it's now thinning out the part the nut holds.

GE8749EW 04-07-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 980372)
Charmed,

One of the big problems is finding a steel wheel in 4x100 lug configuration is almost impossible as no one makes one. The Accord 4 lug wheels are all 4x114.5 so they won't work. Only a few vehicles run 4x100 and in the Honda line, it's been the civic & FIT and neither have ever run steel wheels larger than 15".

Options are essentially:
  1. 15" steel wheel with new tires
  2. 16" ugly as hell alloy wheel and keep your tires but pay to swap over your sensors and tires.
  3. Craigslist 15" alloy wheels (which are very available - look for integra or 2005 or earlier civic wheels)
  4. Wheel Locks.
My suggestion would be locks first, then craigslist alloys (I did this for my winter Wheels).

Also, for the amount you'll spend on finding wheels plus mounting/balancing, you could add an alarm.

~SB

A Toyota Yaris has 4x100 bolt pattern and I believe if you go to tirerack.com and put in a Honda 07-08 Fit, you can order a set of 15'' steelies.

charmedimsure 04-08-2011 08:49 PM

So much to read after only a few busy days when I didn't get around to logging in! You guys are so helpful!

The thing with the road trip is that I'm actually going on a cruise in June. So I'm going to be parked for a few days and won't be able to check on my baby. I've been told that the lot is fenced and they are making us pay a ton to park there so I would assume that you can't just drive in and out but, I mean, who knows how strict the are. And who knows if anyone would be around to notice if someone tried to jack my rims in the middle of the night.

First I wanted to keep the tires and get shit rims. My husband also has a Fit Sport so we figured if his wheels ever got jacked, we'd have spares. But, as has been mentioned & as a dude from a garage told me, I'll be hard pressed to find steel ones that will first properly.

Then I decided that maybe it would be better to buy 15" rims and new tires. But, honestly, I just spent a shit ton on winter tires so I'm really not prepared to buy another set before I go away in June. I only bought this car in November and I got the winter tires 2 days later.

Then I decided I'd just get more wheel locks. I have the ones from Honda, but figured that adding in some different ones to have two locks per wheel would be helpful for my piece of mind. So I went to PartSource and the dude had nothing that would fit my car. He also looked it up online for me and said that he didn't see any info on McGards or the like that would fit on a Fit Sport either. He was probably bullshitting me because he didn't know what he was doing. But I don't know what I'm doing either. LOL.

So right now I don't know what I'm going to do besides call my insurance company and see about a $0 deductible (I think it is either $300 or $500 right now...) and to make sure that theft is included. I'm just going to be really pissed if I get back from my cruise and I'm stranded.

charmedimsure 04-08-2011 08:59 PM

Me again!

I'm actually seriously considering the alarm option. Anyone know how much a tilt sensor will run me? In general. Is that something I'd go to Honda for? I don't want to take chances with my warranty. But I don't even know where to begin researching kinds and prices... :/

And, I know this is a dumb question, but the Fit Sport comes with an immobilizer which (in girl speak) translates to "there is absolutely no way possible to start or steal the actual vehicle without my key" Right?

I tell ya, this whole thing is stressing me out. I never would have gotten the Sport rims if I knew they were attractive to thieves. I'm so worried about them being jacked when I'm on vacation and being left stranded that I've considered switching them out for my winter tires just for the trip. hahaha. No, really.