Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Damaged plastic on center instrument panel (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/65115-damaged-plastic-center-instrument-panel.html)

melissa 05-23-2011 11:01 PM

Damaged plastic on center instrument panel

I have a 2010 Fit (not the Sport model).

Recently someone gave me one of those oil air fresheners for cars that clip to your car's air conditioner vents. Yesterday, a friend of mine accidentally clipped it upside down and the oil spilled on the instrument panel, below the central air vents and above the stereo display, eating into the plastic in that area. It's a bit of an eyesore and I would like to do what I can to fix it. The grey color is rubbed off over a few inch area, and there is a small spot where the oil actually almost ate through the plastic.

Looking on yourhondaparts.com, it appears that that the whole front of the panel is one giant piece, and that the damaged piece cannot be replaced on its own. Is this accurate? The same website lists the cost for the piece at around $350, not to mention it's probably a pain to install.

Is it possible to just replace the damaged middle part? It looks like its own piece. If not, can anyone recommend a way to repair the finish on the grey plastic in that area? I want to make it look better, but don't want to spend $350. I found yourhondaparts via google... Any other sites to check out for a possible better deal?

Thanks!

Java^FiT 05-23-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by melissa (Post 996650)
I have a 2010 Fit (not the Sport model).

Recently someone gave me one of those oil air fresheners for cars that clip to your car's air conditioner vents. Yesterday, a friend of mine accidentally clipped it upside down and the oil spilled on the instrument panel, below the central air vents and above the stereo display, eating into the plastic in that area. It's a bit of an eyesore and I would like to do what I can to fix it. The grey color is rubbed off over a few inch area, and there is a small spot where the oil actually almost ate through the plastic.

Looking on yourhondaparts.com, it appears that that the whole front of the panel is one giant piece, and that the damaged piece cannot be replaced on its own. Is this accurate? The same website lists the cost for the piece at around $350, not to mention it's probably a pain to install.

Is it possible to just replace the damaged middle part? It looks like its own piece. If not, can anyone recommend a way to repair the finish on the grey plastic in that area? I want to make it look better, but don't want to spend $350. I found yourhondaparts via google... Any other sites to check out for a possible better deal?

Thanks!

It might help a little bit if you can post a picture up of the area your referring to. But you can also try collegehillshonda and bernardiparts in the mean time

sooznd 05-23-2011 11:55 PM

I remember someone else posting recently with this exact problem--there were several suggestions
--wonder what he ended up doing.

Neebs 05-24-2011 12:40 AM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...6901_b1610.png

I'm assuming its part #1, which you would have to replace the whole panel.

melissa 05-24-2011 12:44 AM

Thanks. Here is a photo of the damage to get a better idea. oil damage | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Neebs 05-24-2011 01:31 AM

You can place a sticker over that damage, but it would probably be cheesy.

If you plan on replacing it, its best to get an aftermarket in-dash navigation, otherwise you would have an extra radio panel unit.

malraux 05-24-2011 01:38 AM

I'd call to junk yards/Pull a Parts to see if they have any totaled fits. That'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new panel, assuming there's on in stock somewhere.

melissa 05-24-2011 02:11 AM

Yeah I'm really looking for the cheapest (if possible) way to fix it. This is my first car and I've really been working hard to keep it in great condition, so I'm pretty bummed that this happened. Would like to fix it asap. Does anyone know what the name for that part would be? There's so many parts out there for the instrument panel, I am not sure what's what.

Neebs 05-24-2011 03:21 AM

Radio panel.

Virtual 05-24-2011 06:53 AM

Remove the panel and disassemble.
Use sandpaper to prep the area.
Fill with plastic body filler and sand any uneven areas if necessary.
Spray paint the whole radio panel (mask out any labeling).
Reassemble and reinstall.

Krimson_Cardnal 05-24-2011 07:33 AM

A nice wood grain dash trim kit would hide 80% of that damage and draw the eye away from the rest quite well, a careful touch-up would finish the job nicely I'm thinking.

vwli 05-24-2011 09:06 AM

I replaced that panel when I upgraded the stock radio with a Metra kit. I vaguely remember that kit is under $60. You might want to replace the stock radio and the panel at the same time.

Steve244 05-24-2011 04:01 PM

This looks like a cost effective solution: Used Fit Factory Radio and faceplate. You don't need the extra radio but maybe you could sell it on ebay...

edit: hard to tell from the picture, but it may have "cosmetic defects" as bad as yours... watch out...

sooznd 05-24-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 996705)
A nice wood grain dash trim kit would hide 80% of that damage and draw the eye away from the rest quite well, a careful touch-up would finish the job nicely I'm thinking.

Check out the dash trim kits here- for $85, you can get some nice trim kits, which will cover up the mess.

REMIN® - W/O Navigation, Mini Kit, 24 Pcs. - 2010 Honda Fit Dash Kit

I covered my radio with the carbon fiber trim.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/pict...pictureid=4014

Cat 05-24-2011 09:20 PM

I say good time to get that CF dash kit! Let us know how it goes. I hate having anything like that happen to my baby- you just notice it that much more too.

Occam 05-25-2011 03:44 PM

I'd think damaged plastic would look better than wood. It almost always looks tacky unless the car was designed for it.

sooznd 05-25-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Occam (Post 997254)
I'd think damaged plastic would look better than wood. It almost always looks tacky unless the car was designed for it.

I agree about wood trim (looks very 1980's to me), but I dig my carbon fiber trim ;)

Krimson_Cardnal 05-25-2011 05:06 PM

80's, aw come on. My buddy has a beautiful new Jag XK. You've got to see that interior, burled walnut to die for!!! But then again, it was designed for it. Let's see... what was the Fit designed for???
Oh yea - plastic. Seriously now.

Occam - you got rid of your Fit 'cause it don't fit but left me with a sweet way to mod the seats... lurkers should be kind ;-)

I'm curious to hear back from YouTube - Melissa where did she go, what did she do?? I'm thinking parts, not pieces.

K_C_;)

Blackbeard 05-25-2011 07:11 PM

No Wood in Fits...LOL

Originally Posted by sooznd (Post 997273)
I agree about wood trim (looks very 1980's to me), but I dig my carbon fiber trim ;)

I wonder also what the Factory Match (OEM)...is...

They also have metallic...

sooznd 05-25-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 997297)
80's, aw come on. My buddy has a beautiful new Jag XK. You've got to see that interior, burled walnut to die for!!! But then again, it was designed for it. Let's see... what was the Fit designed for???
Oh yea - plastic. Seriously now.

Occam - you got rid of your Fit 'cause it don't fit but left me with a sweet way to mod the seats... lurkers should be kind ;-)

I'm curious to hear back from YouTube - Melissa where did she go, what did she do?? I'm thinking parts, not pieces.

K_C_;)

Krimson- isn't the wood on a Jag real wood, not plastic? My 1995 Subaru has a tiny bit of trim in burl wood and I really do not care for it.