Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Suddenly I wish I had a cr-z (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/66620-suddenly-i-wish-i-had-cr-z.html)

Lyon[Nightroad] 08-04-2011 01:29 AM

Suddenly I wish I had a cr-z

I was driving home from work when suddenly it hit me, electric intermittent supercharger. If I had a CR-Z I would be ripping out the electric motor assist this very second and sourcing a suitable motor for intermittently powering a blower. I can see it now. Everything is already there, plenty of electric power, a means of rapid charge, a power gauge, just about everything I would need and I already know how to tune the L15A7. Too bad those CRZ drivers are even bigger (plurral explicative relating to the female anatomy) than Fit drivers. In the course of my job I speak with alot of new car buyers. I always ask the CRZ drivers why they bought their car over the Fit. They ALWAYS give the same stupid answer: "It's sportier" to which I always reply: "No, you mean it LOOKS sportier" ugh

Hootie 08-04-2011 02:09 AM

Hmm, now how in theory would this work? Would it be along the lines of the "push to pass" system used in F1 or the regenerative system that Porsche uses in their GT3 Hybrid Cup Cars that charge up under braking and once a button is pressed, gives the driver a temporary increase in power & torque?

GGPJON 08-04-2011 01:02 PM

Lyon, I love your semi-condescending remarks. They make me chuckle. :)

kenchan 08-04-2011 05:27 PM

http://www.the370z.com/images/smilies/th_wtf.gif

Lyon[Nightroad] 08-04-2011 05:53 PM

To be clear I'm not talking about one of those rediculous bilge fans. I mean stripping off the hot side of a turbocharger attaching a 150-200 amp motor to the shaft and making real boost.

Lyon[Nightroad] 08-04-2011 06:32 PM

I can see it now, I would use a Hobbs switch hooked up to a relay to the motor to function effectively as a wastegate.

kylerwho 08-04-2011 09:09 PM

so would you have the ability to physically turn on the blower or would it come on via throttle position and load?

Jamy 08-04-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by kylerwho (Post 1019916)
so would you have the ability to physically turn on the blower or would it come on via throttle position and load?

That would be interesting to set up.

Lyon[Nightroad] 08-04-2011 09:37 PM

Well, the reason electric superchargers are normally not an option is due to incredible power requirements to drive the compresssor. But as I see it hybrids solve that problem. There is a vast store of energy that is regenerated faster a normal alternator can do and with far more capacity than just 1 or 2 12v lead acid batteries. So I would have it turn on under WOT, and with sufficient charge. It would be very similar to those Thomas Knight superchargers except the power source of the hybrid would be far superior. No Parasitic drag. No exhaust fabrication.

Even then, the power requirements of the motor for the compressor to make even 6-8psi are enormous. It could not run continuously for very long. That's why it would have to run intermittently on wot.

Jamy 08-04-2011 09:39 PM

Technically this would work on an insight as well right? Except you can't get it in a 6 speed. It would be crazy cool to power boost like that. Pretty much an ESC that actually works and isn't a scam!

Lyon[Nightroad] 08-04-2011 10:11 PM

I like the idea of a manual switch too. That would save juice for the pulls when you really need it.

Subie 08-04-2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by GGPJON (Post 1019767)
Lyon, I love your semi-condescending remarks. They make me chuckle. :)

I'm with you. Definitely a blast to "watch" :popc: the mad professor at work. Can almost see the wheels turning... (burning rubber may be better) :D

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad] (Post 1019946)
I like the idea of a manual switch too. That would save juice for the pulls when you really need it.

Like a switch on the Batmobile? U Da Man Lyon... :D