Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   tire rotation: longest life with least effort (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/67263-tire-rotation-longest-life-least-effort.html)

raytseng 09-12-2011 02:42 AM

With the least amount of effort this would just be 1 rotation on this car.
As least on my car, wear is pretty much equal across the tread, so the main equalization is for front/rear as compared to side/side.

Approximating the fronts wear 2x as the rear then:
Rotate when the rears are at 66% left, and fronts have 33% left, then both will reach 0% at the same time.

Really consider what you are gaining by excessive rotations over minimal rotations? If you don't rotate at all, you maybe wasting 50% of the rear tires when replacing all 4 tires.

If you're the type rotating every 5k miles, what are you really gaining over more minimal rotations.
Even if rotations are free, time is a very precious thing....

cfran55 09-12-2011 09:15 PM

does the tpms go off if you rotate the tires? if so how do you reset? just wondering cause i never had tpms before and want to rotate my tires

Mugenfeet 09-12-2011 09:19 PM

defiantly a lot of good info in this thread!

Goobers 09-12-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by raytseng (Post 1031668)
With the least amount of effort this would just be 1 rotation on this car.
As least on my car, wear is pretty much equal across the tread, so the main equalization is for front/rear as compared to side/side.

Approximating the fronts wear 2x as the rear then:
Rotate when the rears are at 66% left, and fronts have 33% left, then both will reach 0% at the same time.

Really consider what you are gaining by excessive rotations over minimal rotations? If you don't rotate at all, you maybe wasting 50% of the rear tires when replacing all 4 tires.

If you're the type rotating every 5k miles, what are you really gaining over more minimal rotations.
Even if rotations are free, time is a very precious thing....

But not everyone's tires wear evenly even side-vs-side.

I got my DWS tires at about 13k miles on the odo. Rotated them once at about 16k miles (for the fun of it), then again at 19k miles (shortly after an oil change). forgot to rotate at 26k miles... and finally did it at 32k miles.

The front driver side the the most worn out. the front passenger and rear driver side were about equal to each other. rear passenger side had the least wear.

I think the reason were because I take highway on ramps faster than normal, and you know, most are right handed turns. Even if you made a left to get onto the ramp, many still end up making right handed curves. And even on my road trip, I took right hand curves faster than left handed curves (especially when on side is a drop off cliff). Even then, going back and forth on the same curve, you'll notice making the left is wider than the right, for US and many right side roads. I would guess that where you drive on the left, the opposite would be true.

Originally Posted by cfran55 (Post 1031940)
does the tpms go off if you rotate the tires? if so how do you reset? just wondering cause i never had tpms before and want to rotate my tires

no, just rotating them won't trigger the TPMS light. The car doesn't care which position they're at... only that they are somewhere.