Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Fit or Scion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/69544-fit-scion.html)

fstyle751 01-09-2012 01:29 PM

Fit or Scion

I'm down to buying a Fit or Scion XD.

Did any of you consider the Scion XD? If you did why did you buy the Fit?

Thanks!

jzerocsk 01-09-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by fstyle751 (Post 1062798)

Thanks!

I actually have one of each!
The xD is peppier, quieter, much smoother ride.
The Fit handles better and has way more cargo space.

I don't know if I could get by with just the xD because the trunk is so small, but otherwise the xD is very nice for the price.

fstyle751 01-09-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jzerocsk (Post 1062805)

I don't know if I could get by with just the xD because the trunk is so small, but otherwise the xD is very nice for the price.

JZ you are a valuable resource I am down to buying either the XD or Fit.

The deciding factor is which has the more comfortable seat? Which eat goes back further (for a tall driver), do either have lumbar support, and which is more comfortable for those long drives?

Many thanks!

jzerocsk 01-09-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by fstyle751 (Post 1062824)
JZ you are a valuable resource I am down to buying either the XD or Fit.

The deciding factor is which has the more comfortable seat? Which eat goes back further (for a tall driver), do either have lumbar support, and which is more comfortable for those long drives?

Many thanks!

LOL...I am probably useless in this department...I'm only 5'7" so I've never tried to move the seat back very far! I would guess it goes back farther in the xD. Also my xD is a lease so I never take it on long trips. For what it's worth I've done 6-8 hour trips in the Fit and had no trouble but there are taller folks here on Fit Freak that said they were definitely feeling it after a long trip.

Neither have true lumbar support (at least not the kind where you can turn a knob and to stiffen the cushion).

fstyle751 01-09-2012 07:19 PM

XD or Fit

Thank you JZ you have been very helpful.

lowkeymods 01-09-2012 07:25 PM

I'm 6'5" and am mostly comfortable in the Fit. I don't have any room to spare, but it's workable. It's not super comfortable, but for all of the other benefits I get out of the Fit, it's more than comfortable enough, especially considering the price point. I like the versitlity of the Fit and I think it looks way better. I have hauled furniture, friends, kickboxing gear, whatever...I don't think twice about what I can or can't haul. I feel like I drive a pickup truck made for the city. Plus I can park just about anywhere with the size of the Fit.

sooznd 01-09-2012 07:37 PM

I also considered the Scion XD. I chose the Fit for its cargo capacity, since I was replacing a Subaru Wagon. I am short so the Fit is very comfortable for me.
I took a 4500 mile cross country trip in the Fit and found it very comfortable. You can always add a lumbar support foam pillow to any car.

phenoyz 01-09-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jzerocsk (Post 1062805)

who has better MPG?

fstyle751 01-09-2012 08:42 PM

XD or Fit: Better MPG

Originally Posted by phenoyz (Post 1062898)
who has better MPG?

Phenoyz: Great question thank you.

JZ: Your expertise would be appreciated again.

jzerocsk 01-10-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fstyle751 (Post 1062920)
Phenoyz: Great question thank you.

JZ: Your expertise would be appreciated again.

They are very similar for MPG...32-35 usually.

larrymcewin 01-10-2012 01:08 PM

I ruled out the XD because of cargo space and visibility. Inside the XD, I felt like I was inside a panel van. The Fit feels more like a baby SUV which has awesome handling. I, too, was replacing a Subaru Wagon --- and the Fit fit the bill well!

If you are just a commuter and aren't into "having fun" then I'd say get the XD. It's more isolated from the road and smoother. If you don't mind feeling the bumps a bit but want to feel like you are in a sporty-ish car, get the Fit.

Regardless, they are both excellent cars. But make sure you get the MANUAL transmission. Both cars felt really soggy and slow in automatic.

(BTW, Honda makes the best manual transmissions on the planet ---- no exaggeration)

Under_Score 01-10-2012 01:28 PM

XD or Fit

I also considered both quite seriously. Even though I could have gotten a $1,000 college grad credit on the XD, I went with the Fit. I probably cost me a few grand more, but I still like my decision to go with the Fit. Here is why:

1) Back seat room. My dad has a Lexus IS250, and the back seat is cramped. I don't know why they sell a car with a Lexus badge where the back is uncomfortable for a 5'11" adult. I have loads more room in the Fit, the Scion, not quite so much.

2) The automatic transmission is way way better. The Fit has a very good 5 speed box, whereas the XD has a 4 speed box. I just felt that the fit made a much better and smoother use of its power.

kitenok 01-10-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by fstyle751 (Post 1062798)

Thanks!

I Considered Scion XD as well as Yaris.
They are very similar cars cost about the same (price, cost to operate, and residual value) - all good cars.
There are some small things on Honda Fit that Toyota-scion does not have.
Fit has better handling and acceleration more cargo room and versatility and nice stereo usb input.
Compared to the Fit Sport Scion feels a bit cheaper and with 4-speed automatic it cannot get the power from it's heavier engine.

I would suggest you to go to a local dealer and take a look at both cars and see which one feels better for you.
And IMHO fit sport absolutely worth extra money compared to base fit

If you like looking at the numbers I like to use cars.com compare tool

clemsonteg 01-10-2012 09:31 PM

After test driving my fit and feeling all the room I have in it I wouldn't consider anything else. Plus the 38 mpg is far better than the 15 I was getting in my truck.

Sooner97 01-10-2012 09:46 PM

[/QUOTE](BTW, Honda makes the best manual transmissions on the planet ---- no exaggeration)[/QUOTE]

+10000000!!!

I love Honda's manual transmissions, they are so buttery smooth. I am in the process of selling my 2009 Fit sport AT b/c I just bought a 2012 Fit Sport to get the stick. I love driving this thing.

BTW, my last car was a 2004 Infiniti G35 manual.. the Fit is almost as fun to drive as the G but the Honda manny is so much more fun and smooth compared to Nissan's.

Howdy 01-10-2012 10:46 PM

I considered the XD before I bought the Fit. They are comparable cars. In price, size and MPG. The XD has a more flexible engine, it has the 1.8 Dual VVTi from the Corolla.
I can haul two road bikes upright inside the Fit. If I didn't need to carry bikes inside the car I would seriously consider the XD.

blassty 01-10-2012 11:45 PM

I considered the xD. The interior space of the Fit won me over.

phrancis 01-11-2012 01:40 AM

I grew up in a family that kept cars around for a long time - 10 years or more, so when it came time to add a new car we researched and test drove many small wagon / hatches for almost a year before buying a 2012 Fit Sport MT a few weeks ago. The XD was smooth, but I hated the look of it and it's driving dynamics wasn't all that enjoyable. It would probably last a long time, being a toyota, but it still didn't feel as refined or put together as well as the Fit.

As others have mentioned, the Fit is just a fun car to drive and with more usable interior space. It's also ranked at the top of it's class in Consumer Reports and Car n Driver for years now, despite increased competition. The XD can't claim that. In the end you should drive em back to back and make your own decision.

fstyle751 01-11-2012 07:44 AM

XD v Fit

Wow!

I don't know how to thank you guys for all your valuable feedback based on your experience.

Based on your response I am leaning heavily towards the Fit.

Some of you really recommend the MT. I haven't driven an MT in 30 years so I'm not sure if I want to go back to it. But based on some of your responses I'm now very tempted. The problem is the MT gets worse MPG than the AT.

GAFIT 01-11-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fstyle751 (Post 1063345)
Wow!

I don't know how to thank you guys for all your valuable feedback based on your experience.

Based on your response I am leaning heavily towards the Fit.

Some of you really recommend the MT. I haven't driven an MT in 30 years so I'm not sure if I want to go back to it. But based on some of your responses I'm now very tempted. The problem is the MT gets worse MPG than the AT.

That's only true when using the EPA's flawed test. My wife and I have a manual and my parents have an auto. We drive our Fit much more aggressively than my Mom drives hers. Her best tank has been 33 with the auto and she regularly gets 32. With the manual our lowest tank in 60,000 miles was 32 and we see 36+ on a regular basis.

If you look around these forums, you will find that overall the manual seems to get better mileage. Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.