2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's wrong with me? Stop me from buying a Prius Plug In.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
What's wrong with me? Stop me from buying a Prius Plug In.

I've had my 2009 Honda Fit with Navi for the past 3 years. The car has about 28K on it. I have 5 years left on the 8y/120K Honda Care warranty. No problems ever with the car. Just changed the tires to the Conti DWS 205/50-16s. Did the brake fluid flush at the dealership since it's been 3 years. Oil changed every MM interval with Mobil 1 0W-20 since it was bought. Engine filter changed recently. Cabin filter changed every 10K.

I ordered the 2012 Prius Plug-In for $40K. I'll be getting about $4500 in rebates.

My other car is a Lexus and everytime I ride the fit, it feels like I'm riding in a tin can, especially when it's loud on the freeway. The Prius is not much better I guess but at least it has leather seats and other fancy options like the HUD.

I think I have some disease. My wife is trying to convince me not to buy the Prius. She's was always against even the Fit saying it was too small and dangerous. She want to buy a huge SUV.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Walking across the street's dangerous.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit's noisiness and cheap materials annoy me too. But I wanted cheap (without sacrificing reliability and function) so that's what I got.

Fuel economy doesn't support paying 35grand for a small car that you're not particularly in love with.

I'd keep shopping if I were you (and you can afford it).

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow how toyota rips people off and ruin the environment with a $40k economy(?) hatch.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing at the leather seats in an "environmentally friendly" car!

At the same time, I can relate. I love my Fit, but I have the car "disease", too. I usually trade for another new car every two years or so. I'm fortunate to have done so even though it wasteful and not financially responsible. But I would say to trade the Fit for a plug-in Prius does not make any sense. JMHO...

Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just not sure the transaction makes sense. You don't drive near enough miles to ever recoup the cost of the trade up. A leather kit is a lot cheaper than a $40,000 car. Also keep in mind that the Prius doesn't hold value as well as a Fit.

I find HUD to be very distracting. The last car I had with it, I turned it off.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
A leather kit is a lot cheaper than a $40,000 car.
true. or he could just buy clazzios. great product.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Buy what you want, I say, but does it make sense? If the new car bug has you, then you could get a Lexus CT-250 for a LOT less. You could keep some utility of a hatch and get Lexus build, which, let's face it, is rock solid. A plug-in car is just... Well, honestly the technology isn't up to snuff yet, really. The ranges are short and they are very expensive. Just my .02

Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
We considered buying a Prius instead of the Fit. Sure, the Prius felt more solid and quiet, but we felt the 2012 Fit was pretty darn quiet too. Given the fact that you'd have to drive the prius for many years to recoup the extra cost and it wasn't as fun to drive, well we just went for the cheaper tin can in manual transmission. Is the gas savings or tree hugging aspect of the prius truly important to you? If so, you'd need to keep it for at least 5 years to recoup that extra cost and why would you want leather seats? Getting a huge SUV definitely doesn't scream "environmentalism". You have some very opposing priorities...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
In that price range I'd start looking at what the Germans have to offer. An Audi A4 quattro 6sp MT comes to mind... Nicely equipped for under 35K.

The fact they give loaner cars for warranty service makes up for the reliability deal.

Don't kid yourself about MPG when you're spending that much for the car.

But hey the Audi Quattro still gets 21/31 city/hwy.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
misread, editting post

That being said, I'm not going to talk you out of it, buy whatever you like the best. don't second guess yourself.

But in terms of the Fit, it is cheap enough that you can just keep it around I would think. Use it as a mini-utility vehicle, when you need to take the dog or get some houseplants or whatever.

That being said, listening to your wife maybe more important then your car habit.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with what has been said so far. I want to add that all cars age. So if you are tired of the Fit after a few years, you my also get tried of the Prius after a few years. If money is relevant, keeping the Fit is the best option, install some upgrades and see if they help liven the car up for you. Check out these sweet seat covers installed by another member: Ivory Seat Covers

Maybe test drive a 2012 and see how the noise level compares to your '09.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
If noise were the issue for me (may get to that) I'd be investing in sound deadening material under the carpet, in the doors and cargo area, and behind the dash, before getting a 2012 copy.

I think newcarbugitiss is the issue. I'm not sure a 35grand Prius is the cure though.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the viewpoints. I'm about 70% at canceling my Prius Plug-In order. I get to cancel up to the point of delivery with no penalty. Meaning as long as I don't drive it off the lot, I'm good. I rather cancel early because I don't want to take a car away from someone that pre-ordered like myself.

I'm interested in the Prius Plug-In because of the tech in it, not to save gas. I care about the environment as much as the next person but it's not the reason I'm getting it. I think I would get a kick out of driving around on electric only and not visiting the gas station often. Hence, I would get a big SUV if somebody came out with a SUV with a lot of tech in it. Currently, also have the Lexus HS250, it's a hybrid, didn't buy it because it was a hybrid, bought it because it has the HUD display, which I really love, Navi, pre-collision, Lane assist, radar cruise, etc.. all the fancy options. The other Lexus at the time and even now still don't have all that except the RX.

The leather in the Prius, is a synthetic leather.

I follow bogleheads.org too and I know it's financially crazy to go from a Fit to a Prius Plug In.. but I got the disease.

If the Lexus CT was out when I bought my HS, I would of probably got it but the CT does not have any of the fancy things on it like the HS, I don't think it even has the HUD.

Thanks again for the advice and input.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
I know I'm coming out of left field with this suggestion, but have you checked out the new Mazda 3's with the SkyActive drive train. I'm in the hunt for a new hatchback and I'm down to that or the Fit. I've test driven both and they seem pretty comparable in the handling department, but the Mazda 3 definitely has a more upscale feel and was much quieter inside (of course it's more $$$$ also). You could get one of those decked out for around $25K and get a little closer to Prius gas mileage (I've heard average 37mpg is pretty easy to achieve with mixed driving). I believe it would be a good bit faster as well. Just my 2 cents.

-Dustin

Edit: I didn't realize the Prius got close to 50mpg, so I adjusted my statement above.

Last edited by Bama3Dr; 01-23-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
I know I'm coming out of left field with this suggestion, but have you checked out the new Mazda 3's with the SkyActive drive train. I'm in the hunt for a new hatchback and I'm down to that or the Fit. I've test driven both and they seem pretty comparable in the handling department, but the Mazda 3 definitely has a more upscale feel and was much quieter inside (of course it's more $$$$ also). You could get one of those decked out for around $25K and get a little closer to Prius gas mileage (I've heard average 37mpg is pretty easy to achieve with mixed driving). I believe it would be a good bit faster as well. Just my 2 cents.

-Dustin

Edit: I didn't realize the Prius got close to 50mpg, so I adjusted my statement above.
A good friend just got a 5-door Mazda3 skyactive with the 6-speed and she loves it. It is a nicer car than the Fit, gets better mileage, and you can actually haggle with Mazda dealers. In the end, she bought it cheaper than she could a Fit.

To the OP, sounds like you are a tech geek. Nothing at all wrong with that. The Fit is probably the farthest thing from a tech car. It is plain and simple as are all Honda's.

For the price of that plug in Prius couldn't you get close to a BMW and have the tech AND a great driving car?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 AM
$40.000 for a prius? was that a typo?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
All I can say and it probably is not at all relevant to you, but the Prius has a dull, lackluster drive. It doesn't engage the driver. People that buy them should just take mass-transit instead. Would be saving the environment even more actually.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Prius ?

Originally Posted by ShadowMoses
Buy what you want, I say, but does it make sense? If the new car bug has you, then you could get a Lexus CT-250 for a LOT less. You could keep some utility of a hatch and get Lexus build, which, let's face it, is rock solid. A plug-in car is just... Well, honestly the technology isn't up to snuff yet, really. The ranges are short and they are very expensive. Just my .02
I agree with shadowmoses ,If you want more luxury and sweetness test drive the Lexus - I owned a new 2010 Prius ,for a yr, it was very nice , but am happier with my 2010 Fit sport- For me it was all about saving money ! I got every cent back when I sold my Prius privately ,& I would not invest big bucks for the Plug in. I do understand your gripes with the Fit , you have valid points.Take your time ,you will reach the right conclusion.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I laugh every time someone buys a new car to "save the environment"! Most of the time it's much "greener" to buy a used car or continue driving the car you have now.Buy a New Car or Keep the Old: Which is Better for the Environment?

50mpg would be awesome, but it can be done without the "smug" or 40k price tag

I don't think I would look to Toyota when searching for luxury or tech items. After all that's why Toyota has a luxury brand named Lexus.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with me? Stop me from buying a Prius Plug In.