2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Fit vs Fit Sport (which do u recommend)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM
2012 Fit vs Fit Sport (which do u recommend)

Hey guys!

Old car died and have to get a new one. Don't have lots of money. Relative has Fit and highly recommends it, so I'm gonna get a Fit. Not sure whether to get 2012 Fit or Fit Sport. I would like to have 6 speakers and rear stabilizer bar. But there's a 1,750 dollar difference.

I'll be getting a manual transmission either way. I was hoping you guys could help me decide which model to get. Thanks.

[I know there is a previous Fit vs Fit Sport thread. However, much has changed in the 2012 model Fit. For example, the 2012 Fit has USB, Cruise control, among other things. Here's differences between the two: 2012 Honda Fit Overview - Official Site.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Used 09-11 model, or pay the difference. I think the extra money is a good value, especially in the aesthetics department.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
Used 09-11 model, or pay the difference. I think the extra money is a good value, especially in the aesthetics department.
It is very hard to find a used Honda Fit gen2. If it appears, I'll take it but otherwise expecting to buy new.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
If I had to start over again with the 2012, I would choose the non-sport. Good luck with your car shopping.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by blassty
If I had to start over again with the 2012, I would choose the non-sport. Good luck with your car shopping.
Could you say more about why? are there some things that bother you about the Sport?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
My 2012 Sport manual is available if you prefer a manual and red.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by samw
Could you say more about why? are there some things that bother you about the Sport?
I'll answer for me. Got a 2012 Base MT. Didn't need the aesthetics of the lip and side plastics. Still got the peppy performance, USB conn, and gas mileage I wanted. I'm tricking it out as I want rather than the Honda bean counters. Nothing really bothered me about the Sport except the additional $2K they wanted.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by samw
Personally I like the front end more. =)

Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blassty
Personally I like the front end more. =)
+1
I envy the simplicity base models.

Last edited by circa40; 06-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
OP i think you can't go wrong with the '12 Fit Base. It'll save you money, the stuff that matters to you (the stereo / rear sway bar), you can add later.

Last edited by blassty; 06-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
For the MT, I'd go base unless you've got money coming out the wazoo. All that the sport adds is plastic crap to drag when you turn into/out of driveways. The only plausible reasons would be the fog lights and the steering wheel audio controls on the sport.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
For the MT, I'd go base unless you've got money coming out the wazoo. All that the sport adds is plastic crap to drag when you turn into/out of driveways. The only plausible reasons would be the fog lights and the steering wheel audio controls on the sport.
I agree, if I were to get another Fit, the only way i'd spend the extra on a Sport is if I was forced to get an AT so I could use the paddles. Everything else I don't really care for, except the rear sway bar.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
There was a thread on here a little while ago showing how the Sport is more bang for your bucks (if you were in to the extra's). Even if you don't care for the alloy's you could sell them and recoup some cost, iirc BB sold his 2012 rims for over $800, and his first set sold for almost $1000. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...els-tires.html
Depending on what the other options over the base are it might be worth it.

IMO the 2012 w/Navi is not worth it. Back in 2009 when I got my Sport Navi, the Nav package was the only way to get the steering wheel audio controls & VSA, now it's included in the Sport.

If you don't care about the extras over the base then definitely go with the base, it's less expensive.
One great thing about the base is that you don't have to deal with replacing any broken fog lights.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I think the extra money is a good value, especially in the aesthetics department.
Yeah I wouldn't be driving this car if it wasn't for the Sport's looks.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I had the choice between identical Sport and Base models in a manual and I chose the Base model for a couple reasons. First reason is price. I just didn't see the value for the extra money for the Sport. It does look better, but not that much. Second, I like the tires better on the Base model. The car rides rough enough without putting the lower profile tires of the Sport model on it. The Base rides a bit smoother and also I live in snow country and the lower profile tires of the Sport are not as good on the snow. I do like the look of the alloys better than the steel wheels, but again, I can't justify spending the money for them.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a 2010 base mt, and wish I would have bought the sport. Although now they added cruise and stability to the base it's not that big of a difference between the two. I actually like the look of the base. Im always surprised by the comments floating around that people hate the look of the base. The base, or sport they both look awesome.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Sport...hands down. Better all around

Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
if price is a big deal to you, the base is ok,
I like the fit sport, the wheel upgrade, spoilers, VSA....and Navi and bluetooth are really nice features.
The 2012 if also quit a lot nicer then the 09-11 in the quietness and the ride.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I like the sport... so I got that. granted the audio extras were part of my need and i'm past the DIY point in my life for most things.

If you like the body kit, want (and like the factory) alloys, would prefer a rear sway bar, go for the sport. you can likely come up with the extra money to cover the monthly payments: spare a few latte's or mountain dews a month (or eat out one less day a week). There's tons of ways to cover the additional cost.

Aftermarket Wheel/tire combo will cost you a nice $800 - $1000 for a decent set after mounting/balancing shipping, etc... Also, on the sport, all of the components are under warranty for 3 years and by buying them with the car, you roll them into payments. is it slightly more expensive than if you did it yourself? sure, but how much is that minimal extra $$ in savings worth to you (vs. your time, and remember, there's a limited warranty on those components if purchased separately)

~SB

Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by michholl
I had the choice between identical Sport and Base models in a manual and I chose the Base model for a couple reasons. First reason is price. I just didn't see the value for the extra money for the Sport. It does look better, but not that much. Second, I like the tires better on the Base model. The car rides rough enough without putting the lower profile tires of the Sport model on it. The Base rides a bit smoother and also I live in snow country and the lower profile tires of the Sport are not as good on the snow. I do like the look of the alloys better than the steel wheels, but again, I can't justify spending the money for them.
Let me get this right... you based your choice almost entirely on wheels and tires? You do realize they are only held on with 4 bolts and can be swapped out for different ones? And with the replacement rims you can get different tires put on.

Quick Reply: 2012 Fit vs Fit Sport (which do u recommend)