2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield cracked by its own - from bottom middle where cowl is

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz
hmm i got farmers will they cover it mines not crack but i got a 100/300k cover with them.. yes on my fit yes idk why i got it that high lol said fuk it u never knw lol
It depends on what coverage you got, we can't automatically tell by the insurance company. I'm not sure if they offer that coverage on their policies though, but I can check.

The 100/300 coverage you mentioned has nothing to do with your vehicle, that refers to your BI (bodily injury) liability coverage limits per person and per occurrence (hence the two split limits) in thousands of dollars.

The kind of car you have doesn't really dictate how much liability coverage you should or shouldn't have. You'd be surprised at how easily bodily injury claims can climb to higher amounts, and they don't have to be at the hands of Hummer owners. It's good to have higher liability coverages anyway, whether it's one step above the state minimum requirement or accompanied by a $1 million umbrella policy. They don't always cost as much more as you'd expect (unless your driving record is terrible or you're just a young, inexperienced driver), though of course you can pick a liability limit that is within your budget while properly protecting you and your assets.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
I expect the windshield to last the life time of the car if no external event was responsible for cracking it. Have you heard of any cars where the windshield will crack on its own due to internal defect, but NOT due to chipping, temperature fluctuation (i.e., dumping hot boiling water on ice covered windshield - which I've done before ) etc?

My gripe with Honda is that they KNOW there is a defect that will crack the windshield on its own for 2009-2010 Fit, but not owning up to it.

---
Thanks for the advice regarding the insurance, but my insurance company categorizes the windshield replacement into comprehensive coverage. They do, however, provide free windshield chip repair.
Yea but they don't know which ones will break, and it's not feasible to just say, ok, bring them all in until the the end of time. There has to be a line drawn in the sand, and some people are going to be right on the line. It lasted 3.1 years, if it were truly completely defective, it should have failed earlier. So it was perhaps a borderline windshield.

But this is life, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
That being said, IF you were buying a $60,000 luxury car, and had a relationship with the dealer, I think the "goodwill" repairs probably would be extended. But this is the least expensive car Honda makes, and to be honest, your value as a repeat customer is not as high as a $60k car owner.

But anyway, if this happens again, it would not have been covered by chip repair, so the deductible still applies.

So look at your Comprehensive coverage and do out the math and it maybe reasonable to reduce that to $50.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-31-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
It is a comprehensive claim. Your comp deductible will apply. I have had State Farm replace several windshields over the years at no charge. I carry 0 deductible comp because it is cheap where I live. Your comp rates are based on the loss history of where you live and not your driving record.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
It lasted 3.1 years, if it were truly completely defective, it should have failed earlier. So it was perhaps a borderline windshield...this is the least expensive car Honda makes, and to be honest, your value as a repeat customer is not as high as a $60k car owner.
On your assessment on the two points above in italics, I believe I know what you were trying to illustrate, though I don't quite agree with your generalization.

What if the warranty was 5 year bumper to bumper, then should the cracked windshield at 3.1 years going to be categorized as truly defective, and not borderline? The warranty duration alone should not the sole criteria to judge if the part was defective or not.

The dealer's service manager could never authorize a windshield replacement repair on his own. It's always been Honda's decision requiring submission of photos and paper work.

Finally, I don't buy cars from a dealer per say, but from a particular sales person I've built relationship with. My gripe was with Honda who made whatever rules the dealer had to follow and not with the dealer's service department.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
you know, i had a big post written up disagreeing with your perspective, then I deleted it, as it won't change a thing about what happened, nor change Honda's policy or give any help to anyone and probably wouldn't change your mind either.
It'd only serve to continue an internet argument and maybe just kick you while you were already down with the bad luck of the busted windshield.

So anyway, glad your car's fixed for relatively cheap; and it's pretty clear where HONDA stands on their policy, so will leave it at that.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Moral of the story -- everyone should just get glass coverage on their policy, if it's available. Ironically a client of mine with an Evo IX e-mailed me this morning asking about it (since he had a cracked/broken windshield) and luckily he had selected it. Additionally it won't count negatively against his insurance, so there's not really a harm in making the claim (unless you do it a silly amount of times).

Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
My 11' cracked at the bottom right in front of the drivers position while my daughter was driving it. She said something fell out of a tree but I am thinking it is a stress crack. I had glass insurance so it was replaced anyhow...

Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
She said something fell out of a tree but I am thinking it is a stress crack.
Haha nice conclusion you drew there.

Probably would've made more logical sense to go along the lines of, "Something fell out of a tree and hit the windshield, which caused it to crack."

Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
crack

Originally Posted by doctordoom
Haha nice conclusion you drew there.

Probably would've made more logical sense to go along the lines of, "Something fell out of a tree and hit the windshield, which caused it to crack."
Glass insurance is glass insurance. It does not matter as to the "why" it cracked, assuming that I didn't go hit it with a hammer...

I have a hard time thinking what could fall out of a tree to hit/crack it... But it could happen...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
My 09 sat at work over the weekend, come in monday and notice a crack in the bottom left coming up into the wiper arm. I took the car to the honda dealer and the lady just basically said nope they wont cover that. I had my dad look the windshield over (professional glass technician ~35 years) and he agreed looked like a stress crack.

I didnt feel like dealing with honda so i had him replace it through insurance.