Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Key lock/unlock not working well (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/75403-key-lock-unlock-not-working-well.html)

gboates 11-23-2012 06:59 PM

Key lock/unlock not working well

My '09 Fit A/T has 105,000km and has just had its first Premium rotors and Honda pads done at a tire shop by a very good mechanic. I mention this because now (next day) one of my two electronic keys does not always operate the trunk. And the doors lock slowly - at least that is my spouse's analogy. My wife has the car away for three days so I cannot try the other key. The dew/ground fog has been hell these last few weeks here on the east coast of Canada. In the morning everything is dripping... any suggestions??? The car has been absolutely perfect until now. Is there a main solenoid or relay that operates all locks when the lock button :confused: is pressed on the key? Is there a dying battery in the one key that we use all of the time?? BTW, it seems to lock without funny noises but slowly however I never did check all the doors so... who knows? The trunk handle did feel mushy and unresponsive the one time I used it and then she took possession of it... I sat in a 2013 - do you think its jealous?

Steve244 11-23-2012 07:30 PM

for all the locks to be "working slowly" I'd suspect low voltage caused by the car battery on the way out. I'd have the car battery checked.

Each lock has its own solenoid to actuate it. I don't think anything else besides the car battery would have an effect on all locks. Keys shouldn't make a difference; they either work, or they don't (send a digital rf signal to the car's receiver).

Or it's possessed.

edit: or the key batteries are failing and just the locks just "seem" to work slowly. I'd have the car battery checked at your friendly neighborhood Canadian Tire (do they still have funny money?). They probably also stock the coin cells the keys use. They may even have an exorcist on staff.

gboates 11-28-2012 12:51 PM

Finally got the car back. My wife said it only did the funny lock thing for friday and saturday and that by sunday it was fine. Today is wednesday and is still OK although the rear hatch handle now binds.

I see a 3" by 3" plastic trap door on the inside plastic of the hatch which I will attempt to pry open and see if there is anything needing cleaning and/or lubricating. It may fix the binding rear hatch handle which right now may signal that a door is ajar. I hated those cars that said that...

It was the perfect storm for this to occur: two days of the heaviest dew that I have ever experienced, Friday morning the winter tires permanently on the stock pizza pan wheels installed and new Honda pads/aftermarket rotors and then that night immediate winter with snow and salt on the roads. We had only one week of fall weather this year!

Don't joke about the car being possessed. Your talking to a guy that saw the Exorcist at least 12 times!