Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Anyone learn to drive stick in a Fit? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/77027-anyone-learn-drive-stick-fit.html)

fastredshoes 03-13-2013 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by sy_edison (Post 1168098)
Yeah, the Fit is easy to learn on like everyone says. Each person is different but getting the basics down will take no time, maybe a few days at most. Getting to the point where it becomes second nature where you don't have to even think about it and everything works off reflexes I think takes a little bit longer, maybe a few weeks, it depends on you. Try to put yourself into every possible situation you may encounter to get some confidence. When I first started I was pretty comfortable after about a week, but didn't encounter a steep hill in heavy traffic with a guy literally tailing a few inches off my rear until about a month later. It was a bit nerve wracking, but once you get used to it its no worry. Then you can get into rev matching, heel toe braking etc once you get the basics down if you want.

That's pretty much exactly the timeline I'm trying to learn in. Luckily there aren't too many steep hills around here to worry about.

SilverbulletCSVT 03-13-2013 08:10 AM

I taught both my daughter and son on my Fit. I have a different method of teaching but it seems to work very well and takes less time than other methods.

1) Clutch in, car in gear, have them dump the clutch and stall the engine. This teaches what not to do and shows no harm to the car even if done wrong (reduces stress factor).
2) Then foot completely off the gas, car only idling, release the clutch very slowly until car takes off without stalling. This teaches clutch grab feel and precise slow pedal release.
3) after 2) mastered then instead of idling, hold gas pedal at 2,000 - 3,000 rpm, use normal clutch release but now with a faster take.
4) after 3) mastered then instead of steady gas pedal pre clutch release a gradual gas pedal increase (normal operation).
5) after 4) mastered I then make them repeat but starting out in 2nd gear.
6) after 5) mastered then on to a hill start and repeat until it can be done without rolling backwards any. Another test I use is a speed bump stop. Start with front wheels touching front of speed bump, release clutch to climb speed bump and be able to stop with front wheels on top of speed bump. This is not as easy as you would think and probably half manual trans drivers can't do this without practice. Once comfortable with those they are ready for the open road.

_

n9cv 03-13-2013 09:51 AM

Do not make to big of a deal out of driving a manual transmissions vehicle. It is just another component of learing how to drive.

How long did it take you to master when and how hard to press on the brake or accelerator?
How long did it take you to learn when to start turning and how far to turn the steering wheel to go around a corner?
You tired it and felt the reaction of the vehicle. After a few tries it was all automatic to you. This is just another component of driving and easily masteredafter a few outings. Yes. some vehicles act slightly different on the clutch but it is no different then getting use to the differences of the steering, or accelerator, or brakes on a different vehicle. After 10 minutes or so you adapt and it is all automatic to you.

When I was a kid and went in for my first license test, the state would put an "automatic transmission only" restriction on your license if you showed up with an automatic vehicle to take the test. My parents had an automatic trans car so I borrowed a friend's stick shift so I would not have that restriction on my license. I'm pretty sure they do not do that any more.

Good luck. You will not have much problem with the Fit or almost any other vehicle after a few outings.

V-fit 03-13-2013 11:14 AM

I learned to drive stick in a MKIV Supra Turbo. It was pretty damn scary.

SilverbulletCSVT 03-13-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by n9cv (Post 1168206)
Do not make to big of a deal out of driving a manual transmissions vehicle. It is just another component of learing how to drive. ...This is just another component of driving and easily masteredafter a few outings. ..After 10 minutes or so you adapt and it is all automatic to you.

Disagree. It is another component of driving and likewise needs proper training and instruction and practice to be proficient and safe. 10 minutes and you master it? nobody does that sorry. My kids drive in populated Los Angeles and I would not let them behind the wheel of a car they could not fully control. Maybe if you lived out in the country it would be different but conjested city driving would be unsafe for any untrained noob.

_

Wanderer. 03-13-2013 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT (Post 1168198)
I taught both my daughter and son on my Fit. I have a different method of teaching but it seems to work very well and takes less time than other methods.

1) Clutch in, car in gear, have them dump the clutch and stall the engine. This teaches what not to do and shows no harm to the car even if done wrong (reduces stress factor).
2) Then foot completely off the gas, car only idling, release the clutch very slowly until car takes off without stalling. This teaches clutch grab feel and precise slow pedal release.
3) after 2) mastered then instead of idling, hold gas pedal at 2,000 - 3,000 rpm, use normal clutch release but now with a faster take.
4) after 3) mastered then instead of steady gas pedal pre clutch release a gradual gas pedal increase (normal operation).
5) after 4) mastered I then make them repeat but starting out in 2nd gear.
6) after 5) mastered then on to a hill start and repeat until it can be done without rolling backwards any. Another test I use is a speed bump stop. Start with front wheels touching front of speed bump, release clutch to climb speed bump and be able to stop with front wheels on top of speed bump. This is not as easy as you would think and probably half manual trans drivers can't do this without practice. Once comfortable with those they are ready for the open road.
7) after 6) mastered rev to 5k and dump clutch, learn how to control wheel hop, loss of traction and torque-steer.
8) after 7) mastered repeat 7) and include 1-2 shift timing pedal work to avoid banging synchros on 2nd.

_

Added essentials.

Both are essential for freeway merging safely from a timing light in a Fit :p

Machine_Punk 03-14-2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by fastredshoes (Post 1167956)
I'm strongly considering getting a 2012 or 2013 Fit in a manual transmission. I got driving lessons on a manual fit from a friend, and test drove one at the lot. I'm still pretty shaky at driving stick, but considering making the leap.

Can any of you speak to driving stick in a Fit? Did any of you learn on one?

My son is, whether he likes it or not. I learned on a Mazda GLC a Looong time ago. Part of the reason I got the manual transmission on my 2013 Fit was so my son could learn to drive a manual transmission. (The other reason is that driving a manual transmission is FUN!)

A couple of points, as I teach him...

1. You HAVE to learn to tell when the clutch begins to engage. There are several clues: the car may roll forward a bit, the engine changes sound (as you apply the load), and there is a sort of rumble you will feel 'in the seat of the pants.' (turn your radio off while practicing! A lot of learning to drive a stick revolves around hearing what is going on).

2. The Fit like a Slooow release of the clutch. Once you feel the clutch engage, start immediately counting off the seconds...one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three (I have my son actually count this out loud, while engaging the clutch)--while slowly adding gas. Keep counting this out, until it becomes second nature to you. I have my son use 3 seconds for starting from a stop in 1st gear and 2 seconds for changing into gears 2 through 5.

3. When you feel flustered (someone sitting behind you and you stall the engine a couple of times at a stop sign), stop for a moment and take a deep breath. Nobody is dying. Take your time and don't let the pressure get to you.

4. First gear is ONLY to get you moving from a standstill. If you are rolling AT ALL (like when you slow down for a corner in the neighborhood, then slowly accelerate through that corner), you should be in second gear.

5. Don't rev over redline, unless you like buying new engines.

6. Once you've got the swing of basic shifting, hop back on the thread and we will discuss 'engine braking.'

Third gear is a beautiful thing in the Fit. With the huge power band on this car, I can pull all the way through 65 MPH, when getting on the freeway.

Have fun!
Kev

fitchet 03-14-2013 01:49 AM

Man, I learned to drive a stick on a 1980's Toyota Tercel that had it's clutch replaced.

It was a devil to shift. So easy stall out or jerk.

Took me weeks of practice to get it right.

Later when I was accomplished enough and experienced enough to drive other vehicles I noticed how easy any other stick shift was to drive in comparison. I mentioned this to my dad.

He just laughed. He KNEW the Tercel was a monster to shift but figured if I could learn to drive it? Everything else would seem easy.

Well he may of been right, but it still was a month of pain.

fastredshoes 03-14-2013 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT (Post 1168252)
Disagree. It is another component of driving and likewise needs proper training and instruction and practice to be proficient and safe. 10 minutes and you master it? nobody does that sorry. My kids drive in populated Los Angeles and I would not let them behind the wheel of a car they could not fully control. Maybe if you lived out in the country it would be different but conjested city driving would be unsafe for any untrained noob.

_

I don't think he was being quite as cavalier as you're implying. Obviously it takes longer than 10 minutes to learn to drive manual. I don't plan on putting myself in a dangerous position without exhaustively practicing first

mike410b 03-14-2013 02:41 AM

You're in Madison, people are very accepting of bad driving there.

MTLian 03-14-2013 02:21 PM

Congrats on learning how to drive manual transmission. It took me a day or so of stalling and a few days of nervous driving on the open road before I really got the hang of it. Manual transmission makes driving a real joy for me but some people don't like it because you need to be very involved in the control of the car.

When I started learning, I just got used to taking off in first. Take off in first then clutch in and stop. A good take of is smooth but you should eventually learn to avoid slipping the clutch. Slipping the clutch is when you apply gas and just gradually release the clutch, you are preventing the clutch from fully engaging and although you might be heavy on the gas, the engine cannot provide much drive to the wheels. The trick is to be light in the gas and to release the clutch at a moderate speed (not suddenly nor in a long 4-5 second release). It's not a terrible thing to do, but it will cause your clutch to wear more rapidly. If you can take off in a manual, then driving in other gears is relatively easy. Remember that when rolling downhill you car needs less gas to get it rolling and when going up a hill your car needs much more gas or else it will stall.

I find the gas pedal on the Fit extremely "frugal". I find to drive appropriately, one must depress the pedal a lot. If you learned how to drive stick on a fit, you might want to be cautious when attempting to drive an older vehicle with a mechanical clutch. If I gave my old Saturn the same amount of gas pedal as I do my fit, I'd jet rocket out of a stop and would probably screech my tires!

A great trick for starting uphill is to keep your thumb on the handbrake button. I use the handbrake when waiting to take off; as soon as your clutch engages and you feel your car inching forwards, slam down the handbrake. This manoevre will be easier if you hold the button and don't "lock" the handbrake. Don't forget to give it lots do gas so you don't stall! If you do stall on a hill, use the hand brake to help hold your car and get your bearings and start up again. You don't want to accidentally lift you foot of the brake and bump the driver behind you.

shortstop 03-14-2013 09:59 PM

Just go ahead and get it. You won't regret it and remember it's ok the squeal the tires or kill it. Everyone here has. Only advice is be careful about starting the vehicle with it in gear (friend back in the day jump started another car and forgot it was in 1st and it hit the other car)

agavinwoods 03-16-2013 10:56 AM

I had the same questions as you. My 2012 Fit is my first stick shift car. After spending 30 minutes in my buddy's fit for the first time driving a stick ever, i decided to buy one myself. Its a VERY easy car to drive and I don't ever want to go back to an automatic. No offense to Fit owners with automatics, but when I test drove the auto with the flappy paddles, I was pretty underwhelmed.

I'd say, after two weeks you'll get past the stallouts - Most drivers are forgiving. If they're a blow hard, who cares. After a couple months, you'll start learning how fun it is to drive a stick! But I can say, as long as you're a good driver by nature, driving a stick isnt for the first time isnt that dangerous. I spent about 15 minutes in a sub division after work every day to practicing launches and i had it down pretty good after a week.

I'd say, go test drive a stick shift Fit at the dealership - learn from test driving :) If you can't find one, try other ars too, most compacts have a light clutch like the Fit's. But don't go off an try driving a heavy clutch car like a muscle car - you may have a hard time with the launches.

fastredshoes 03-23-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by agavinwoods (Post 1168871)
I had the same questions as you. My 2012 Fit is my first stick shift car. After spending 30 minutes in my buddy's fit for the first time driving a stick ever, i decided to buy one myself. Its a VERY easy car to drive and I don't ever want to go back to an automatic. No offense to Fit owners with automatics, but when I test drove the auto with the flappy paddles, I was pretty underwhelmed.

I'd say, after two weeks you'll get past the stallouts - Most drivers are forgiving. If they're a blow hard, who cares. After a couple months, you'll start learning how fun it is to drive a stick! But I can say, as long as you're a good driver by nature, driving a stick isnt for the first time isnt that dangerous. I spent about 15 minutes in a sub division after work every day to practicing launches and i had it down pretty good after a week.

I'd say, go test drive a stick shift Fit at the dealership - learn from test driving :) If you can't find one, try other ars too, most compacts have a light clutch like the Fit's. But don't go off an try driving a heavy clutch car like a muscle car - you may have a hard time with the launches.

I got it! Driving has been a cinch! I stalled out once on the way back from the dealership. After having the car for about 20 minutes, I drove it from madison to cedar Rapids, and i made it in one piece!

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post and encouraged me to go for it!

blaaaackfit 03-23-2013 11:29 AM

My first ride stick was an 87 mustang gt with alot of mods.....big mistake, but I learned quick what to do and what not to do. A honda fit would be ideal to learn, easy clutch and not a whole lot of power to make mistakes in. Just find an empty parking lot and take your time to learn were the clutch engages. After a day or two it should come natural.

Wanderer. 03-23-2013 01:17 PM

Congrats, another addition to the 3rd pedal camp :)

Si2Fit 03-23-2013 03:06 PM

It's becoming a lost art. I learned to drive stick on a 2000 Civic SI. It's funny I went there and I told the salesman before the test drive that I had never driven stick before. He took me out on some back roads for like 40 minutes and I had the basics down enough to drive us back with no problem.

Subie 03-23-2013 03:23 PM

Congrats OP for taking the leap! Definitely is day and night driving an A/T and a manual, comparably speaking. Eventually though, once it becomes 2nd-nature, it's no big deal. But definitely an advantage to know how.

Those who "stick" :D with manuals, become part of a niche group of those who enjoy the driving experience. To others, it becomes cumbersome, and give in to the convenient lifestyle. Marketing doesn't help either, as one has to look hard or special order for a manual config. Then there are those who never knew and don't care of the "stick" side of driving.

In Europe and Asia, it's a must to know how. Enjoy your ride and may each flick of that shifter give you a smile... :wavey: When it no longer does, then it's time to go auto... Just my take. :ohnoes:

Lakersbrah32 03-24-2013 08:31 AM

congratz fastredshoes! :thumbups: I too just learned how to drive stick on my new fit sport haha. Its only been almost 2 weeks and I feel pretty confident already but I have yet to face a giant super steep hill yet. Hope your enjoying the new experience as much as I am.

MPA 03-24-2013 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats on learning to drive stick. The best thing is the better you get, the more fun it is.

I learned on an '81 Accord hatch that I bought before I knew how to drive stick. It had one of these emblems on the back :thumbups:
:bowdown:Attachment 20479