Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   I love the Fit! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/79755-i-love-fit.html)

Huy Bui 09-24-2013 02:47 PM

I love the Fit!

This may be my favorite car so far...

I have owned the following cars, all of which were modded:
Acura Integra LS
Subaru WRX
Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
VW Golf GTI
Acura NSX

and currently:
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Honda Fit

I have driven countless cars including Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porsche's... I actually got another Honda because of the NSX. This was a car I would hop into after driving these other fine machines and not feel like it was lacking anything other than straight line speed. (which is fine)

The Fit just checks so many boxes for me... comfy to get in/ out of, roomy, practical, doubles as a cargo van, steering is perfect, handles great when modded, ice cold AC, etc. I love it!

1SickVeilsideZ 09-24-2013 03:15 PM

I agree with you. Out of all the cars I've ever owned and driven for some reason this little bastard I love the best. It's really a fun car to have. Great gas mileage, great cargo space and looks good with the right mods.

Wanderer. 09-24-2013 03:33 PM

I never thought i'd "make a connection" with a new car until I got the Fit. It just has some sort of character that is generally missing from most new cars I've driven. If I were to lose it for some reason i'd be a little sad. I mean my Fit in particular, sort of like replacing a dead dog with another one, it just isn't the same.

The only other new car i've driven I felt that bond with was my friend's S2000 back in 05. My Element wasn't new (but newish) and I never built that bond with it and was so happy to trade it in I didn't even look back once. It was super useful but that was about all I appreciated out of it, and the reliability I guess.

mike410b 09-24-2013 04:16 PM

I envy you guys a bit on this one. I really like some aspects of the car and it makes so much sense, but I don't connect with it at all. I connected with my '91 Civic Si instantly and regret selling it every day.

I will say this, having driven a BRZ/Focus ST/Mini Cooper/FG5/tC/Yaris/Fiat 500/V6 Mustang, I make even less of a connection with those. At least the Fit feels right-ish

kenchan 09-24-2013 04:31 PM

i too like my '12 FitSport MT. :)

Huy Bui 09-24-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1203350)
I envy you guys a bit on this one. I really like some aspects of the car and it makes so much sense, but I don't connect with it at all. I connected with my '91 Civic Si instantly and regret selling it every day.

I will say this, having driven a BRZ/Focus ST/Mini Cooper/FG5/tC/Yaris/Fiat 500/V6 Mustang, I make even less of a connection with those. At least the Fit feels right-ish

maybe you need a GE8? :vtec:

or wait til the new one. its supposed to have more power and a 6 speed manual.

kenchan 09-24-2013 05:38 PM

the GE8 MT is definitely a car person's work horse car. im not sure about the AT's. i could not get the connection on my 09 which is AT.

Huy Bui 09-24-2013 06:35 PM

i have an AT and i love it. GE8 is the key. ;)

mike410b 09-24-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Huy Bui (Post 1203365)
maybe you need a GE8? :vtec:

or wait til the new one. its supposed to have more power and a 6 speed manual.

I drive a '12 on a regular basis, I enjoy it. Do prefer my GD, but I do like the GE.

cjecpa 09-24-2013 10:05 PM

I really like my 12 Fit Sport a lot it is really hard for me to think of a previous vehicle that I have owned that was this fun to drive. The car is so versatile and to think it almost offers as much cargo room as my neighbor's Nissan Rogue 57.9 vs 57.3

MPA 09-24-2013 10:34 PM

I didn't think I would like my Fit as much as I do - it handles really well since I took those LRR Dunlops off after picking up a nail shortly after delivery.

On my favorite back road route I was amazed by it - I kept the cruise on at 60mph and the only turns I had to slow down a bit on were the ones marked 35mph, and even then it was just a slight touch of the brakes:vtec:

And I managed a best MPG of 37.6mpg on my 290 mile ride

SBFT09 09-24-2013 10:35 PM

Definitely my fav too. I have been fortunate enough to sample various flavors, in order:

'89 Civic Hatch (fwd)
'91 Miata (rwd)
'03 WRX (awd)

I would like to think i know how it feels to drive a fun car. However, at the end of the day, i feel that my GE incorporates a little bit of everyhting that im looking for in a daily driver and wouldnt trade it for any of my previous vehicles. I wouldnt mind getting another miata though (i kinda miss the top down).

Shu 09-25-2013 08:35 AM

That's funny, I was just having this same conversation with my brother yesterday. I've owned some great cars:

- 1995 BMW M3
- 1999 Subaru 2.5RS with WRX swap
- 2001 Honda S2000
- 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon
- 2008 Subaru Legacy GT
- 2008 Subaru STI

As you can tell, I have an affinity for turbo Subarus; the AWD coupled with the power and boxer engine noise is intoxicating to me. That said, I think the Fit might be the most satisfying car I've ever owned. It really does incorporate a little of everything, from utility to good looks to quick steering to good handling.

This is going to sound weird, but I think the lack of power actually makes this car more fun to me. I can thrash on the motor, go WOT, take it to the rev limiter, but it's so slow I don't actually get anywhere. In the more powerful cars, I could do that for only a brief period before I'm already doing 100 mph. Fun over. The slowness of the car, coupled with the lightweight and quick steering and good handling make this car an absolute blast to drive. The added bonus of filling up for less than $35 is just gravy.

cjecpa 09-25-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SBFT09 (Post 1203395)
Definitely my fav too. I have been fortunate enough to sample various flavors, in order:

'91 Miata (rwd)

I would like to think i know how it feels to drive a fun car. However, at the end of the day, i feel that my GE incorporates a little bit of everyhting that im looking for in a daily driver and wouldnt trade it for any of my previous vehicles. I wouldnt mind getting another miata though (i kinda miss the top down).

Brought a 95 Miata NA in 2010 as my fun car had 50k on it. Drove on average 6k a year and modified it. Then in 2012 with my purchase of my Fit I have decrease driving it to the point I did not even take it out of storage until the first week in July this year.

Originally Posted by Shu (Post 1203434)

This is going to sound weird, but I think the lack of power actually makes this car more fun to me. I can thrash on the motor, go WOT, take it to the rev limiter, but it's so slow I don't actually get anywhere. In the more powerful cars, I could do that for only a brief period before I'm already doing 100 mph. Fun over. The slowness of the car, coupled with the lightweight and quick steering and good handling make this car an absolute blast to drive. The added bonus of filling up for less than $35 is just gravy.

Low power and low weight seems to add to the fun. The manual takes off at stops quickly and ramps downshifting increases the acceleration. Just lack in some situations in the midrange or sudden stopping on inclines it takes time to get back up to speed. But no complaints.

kenchan 09-25-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjecpa (Post 1203440)
Low power and low weight seems to add to the fun. The manual takes off at stops quickly and ramps downshifting increases the acceleration. Just lack in some situations in the midrange or sudden stopping on inclines it takes time to get back up to speed. But no complaints.

yep, my '12 definitely keeps me on my toes when i want go quick. :)
one slight mistake and i bascially lose the opportunity to do watever i wanted to do, like merge or pass someone, etc.

but then even on the other side of the spectrum, it's enjoyable to drive slow and relaxed when crusing around town or just going shopping with family.

knowing you can do so much with your car just adds to the fun factor. :D

Huy Bui 09-25-2013 04:24 PM

I think the thing is the car is fun, yet easy to live with. Its like having your cake and eating it too. (although I don't quite understand what that actually means. lol.)

My AMG provides what the Fit does not... class and power. I am pretty happy with this set-up, as both are comfy. Choice of what to drive really is dependent on mood and not affected by comfort like the NSX was. As much as I wanted to drive the NSX, I did not want to crawl in and out of it.

Rabee 09-25-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Huy Bui (Post 1203486)
I think the thing is the car is fun, yet easy to live with. Its like having your cake and eating it too. (although I don't quite understand what that actually means. lol.)

My AMG provides what the Fit does not... class and power. I am pretty happy with this set-up, as both are comfy. Choice of what to drive really is dependent on mood and not affected by comfort like the NSX was. As much as I wanted to drive the NSX, I did not want to crawl in and out of it.

I concur with you, the Fit is fun ( with swift springs, light wheels and sticky tires) but slow. The Fit is a surprise to what it does, if I ONLY had 20 more HP at the wheels...Hondata, PLEASE PLEASE crack the ECU

I connected with my Subaru STI more though (sold)
I also have Mustang Boss 302, which, in my opinion, does not belong to public roads, only road courses!

Huy Bui 09-26-2013 12:06 AM

If you need more power, I would think a Level 3 Bisimoto cam would be ideal. You probably need valve springs and such with that and an AEM standalone. Then a full exhaust. I would consider that but its not really worth the trouble for me. Actually, trying to race a slow car really helps improve your skills because you rely so much on maintaining momentum.

haha, there is nothing undriveable on the street as long as you know what you are doing. I used to go to the track every weekend, it was expensive but way fun and it gives me great confidence no matter what I am driving. i drove the 2013 Shelby GT500 (662hp) and that thing spun the tires in 1st and 2nd gear... that is a tad difficult to daily drive for the average Joe, but I was fine with it. Its far from ideal, but that said, the Boss 302 is a piece of cake.

Rabee 09-26-2013 06:55 AM

The Boss is not very street friendly because of its harsh ride, especially for Michigan roads lol

Huy Bui 09-26-2013 03:30 PM

sounds like the Boss 302 isn't your ideal car... but at least you have the Fit. lol.