Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Do you feel confident safety-wise driving your babies/children in this vehicle? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/81651-do-you-feel-confident-safety-wise-driving-your-babies-children-vehicle.html)

fiem14 03-13-2014 04:20 PM

Do you feel confident safety-wise driving your babies/children in this vehicle?

Just curious!

Wanderer. 03-13-2014 04:23 PM

Yes. 10char

GeneralLee86 03-13-2014 04:45 PM

I know I feel a lot safer driving my Fit versus any other car that's for sure.

kenchan 03-13-2014 04:51 PM

yah, the car feels fine. i used Recaro Sport 5 point harness for when my kids were younger, then Recaro booster seats. the recaro sports my kids still use in one of the Fits i have as booster. in total i have 4 recaro boosters, 2 recaro sports. :D (i own 4 cars).

p nut 03-13-2014 07:40 PM

We usually take the bigger car when running around and on road trips, mainly because the seats are already installed in the other car. I wouldn't have a problem driving around with the kids in the Fit, though.

DeltaBond 03-13-2014 09:30 PM

I posted a thread on here recently titled "rearended". I recommend you check out the photos I posted of my Fit that was recently rearended. I was stopped, and the other driver was going 75. I had minor whiplash, sure, because I was rearended, but look at how little damage was done on my car.

I really did some reading the last few weeks about "do I really want my car back?" as I am driving a rental sedan, feeling faux safety with my daughter in the back. Honestly, I don't ever feel safe with my child in my car, period. But what has made me decide to keep the Fit is my driving style. Almost all of the time, I'm granny driving. What makes me feel safer in my Fit rather than this boat I'm in now, albiet ''safer" to some, is the reaction time. Why? Because 2 days ago I was not able to get out of the way of a rogue wheel flying through the air over the interstate that hit the front of my rental car, going under it.

Had I been in the Fit, I would have had my usual level of high comfort with my visibility ALL around me and I would have known if I could change lanes quickly or not AND my car could have moved as quickly as my mind wanted it to. The Fit is peppy, and as you become an experienced driver, you'll figure out if you feel safer in a boat only able to slow down (as many do) or safer being able to react and dodge... dodging has gotten me out of close calls WAY more times than simply slowing down. SO I guess it depends on which two vehicles you are comparing, or three, whatever.

This is my personal experience.

And what color Fit did you get?

mike410b 03-13-2014 09:33 PM

Dodging stuff is generally more dangerous than just slowing down.

carolina_cruising 03-14-2014 06:11 AM

My wife and I have two cars: my 2013 Fit base with a manual, and her 2014 Ford Escape SE. Both do well in crash tests so I have confidence in their crash-worthiness. The bigger Escape feels more solid and composed when driving in strong winds but that's the only time I've felt more safe in that than my Fit. The Fit offers tremendous visibility plus a whole complement of modern safety features. We don't have kids yet, but we bought these cars with the idea of carting kids around in the future. I imagine the Escape will be the primary child hauler but I have no reservations about the Fit keeping them safe.

Fit Charlie 03-14-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mike410b (Post 1226769)
Dodging stuff is generally more dangerous than just slowing down.

Slowing down is one method of dodging.

No worries. If the trip is going to be more than a couple of hours one way, we'll take the minivan because even with the kids in the second row seats there's more room for us- the kids' bags, a cooler backpack, all the things you end up needing with the family.

Short of that, if we're all together then it's the Honda unless we specifically need something that only the minivan will do for us. We'll even switch cars if she's going to be driving significantly farther than me on any particular day- I don't mind the minivan, she misses having a manual and neither one of us likes paying for more gas than we have to.

mike410b 03-14-2014 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fit Charlie (Post 1226844)
Slowing down is one method of dodging.

Obviously, however anyone who read that sentence would realize I'm talking about people swerving wildly to avoid a tire/pheasant/boulder/etc.

Those are the people that hit oncoming traffic/end up in ditch/hit trees/roll/etc.

1toughfit 03-15-2014 01:55 AM

maybe im the only owner that feel somewhat unsafe with my kids in back seat...

most of cars including honda, don't get rear-ended crash test...NHTSA? only do front mid/small off set, roll over, side, whiplash seat tests....
so I dont feel safe when SUV or taller vehicles drive behind me....
Fit's lower rear bumper is good when loading heavy stuffs, but weak when it gets hit by taller vehicles...

slimchriz 03-15-2014 11:03 AM

I feel safe with my kids.
Sure there are safer vehicles but the fit is relatively safe compared with other cars.
Mid and large size SUVs with ESC are the safest bet statistically but if you bought a fit chances are your not looking for a vehicle with SUV characteristics.

moniz 03-15-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by fiem14 (Post 1226734)
Just curious!

Yes I do. I carry my son(3) and daughter(6), both in 5 point harnesses in my 2012 Fit Sport. As safe as anything I've ever owned.

don@annapolis 03-15-2014 11:10 AM

in a fit, are kids safe?

tough call. overall, i would wait for the 2015 Fit to come out. the Institute for Highway Safety (very reputable!) had a bad review of the 2013-4 Fit--offset crash. the NHTSA crash tests were more favorable but the IHS really sets the bar for crash tests. Ever look at a Subaru Imprezza 5 Door Hatchback?

1toughfit 03-15-2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by slimchriz (Post 1226984)
I feel safe with my kids.
Sure there are safer vehicles but the fit is relatively safe compared with other cars.
Mid and large size SUVs with ESC are the safest bet statistically but if you bought a fit chances are your not looking for a vehicle with SUV characteristics.

not looking to get SUV out of fit but weak is weak

1toughfit 03-15-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by don@annapolis (Post 1226986)
tough call. overall, i would wait for the 2015 Fit to come out. the Institute for Highway Safety (very reputable!) had a bad review of the 2013-4 Fit--offset crash. the NHTSA crash tests were more favorable but the IHS really sets the bar for crash tests. Ever look at a Subaru Imprezza 5 Door Hatchback?

i heard that 2015 has better small off set crash rating....
i would wait for 2015 also...

YouKantPimpInaKIA 03-16-2014 12:04 AM

Best handling car I have ever owned...like a Go-Cart! You can steer around most problems if you're paying attention. But yes, I feel safe :thumbups:

jakeytehpirate 03-16-2014 01:28 PM

One of the reasons I bought a fit was because of the safety ratings. I drove a 2000 Camaro when I was dating and married, then traded it in for a 2008 Frontier when I needed cargo space for moving. The half doors on the back cab weren't conducive to a car seat and I changed jobs (increasing commute to to almost an hour one way), so when I was looking for another vehicle, the Fit seemed a great fit (pun intended) for my family and I haven't regretted it one bit. Its a great little subcompact for a small family!

mike410b 03-17-2014 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1toughfit (Post 1227097)
i heard that 2015 has better small off set crash rating....
i would wait for 2015 also...

Small offset crash rating has ZERO impact on children.

Also, isn't buying a 2008 and having 10k in your pocket better than a theoretical 'its safer' for your kids?

Originally Posted by 1toughfit (Post 1227096)
not looking to get SUV out of fit but weak is weak

The Fit isn't weak in accidents.

SUV's are not that safe. SUV's are driven by the worst drivers, people who think the only way to be safe on the road is in an SUV should not be allowed to drive.

555sexydrive 03-17-2014 12:48 AM

Or should at least take a different license test to drive around 2+ton vehicles. On top of that, go back to all cars being manual so more people pay attention to what they are doing behind the wheel. If you can't cut it, well get on a city bus and if you live in the country and don't have city buses, get on a bicycle and pedal away even though you should be changing gears on that as well.

If you take what I typed seriously, just go off yourself because you're part of the problem with the dumbing down of society. :P