Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Low beam headlight bulbs burn out too quickly (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/92088-low-beam-headlight-bulbs-burn-out-too-quickly.html)

JoelR 12-31-2015 04:37 PM

Low beam headlight bulbs burn out too quickly

I have a 2010 Fit that seems to go through headlight bulbs more quickly than any car I've ever had. Since new in 2009, I feel like I've replaced the driver's side bulb about once every 6 months, maybe 12 and the passenger bulb about every 10 to 15 months. Thinking it might be inferior aftermarket bulbs, I tried OEM bulbs (from the dealer) but they too burned out within months. Someone with a German car gave me some extra H4 bulbs and claimed they lasted many years. Nope, not on my Fit. Eventually, I sprung for an LED conversion kit thinking the LEDs would last like they do in my home but the driver's side died in about 1 month, the passenger in about 2 months. The kit was the highest rated of its kind at the time.

So, I'd like to resolve my constant burn-out issue with a more long-term and cost-effective solution but don't know which route to go: stock up on OEM H4's and just keep replacing every 6 months or so, get another LED conversion kit, HID, lasers? (j/k) :) BTW, the LED kit did a great job at illuminating the whole area in front of the car better than the OEM halogen bulbs but didn't illuminate as much further down the road where it really, really matters--like the spot you'd like to see a deer, etc. I'd be hesitant to go LED again unless I knew this issue was resolved.

While we're at it, has anyone else noticed the increased burn-out issue on their GE8 Fit and better yet, know of a solution?

sultanofslide 12-31-2015 05:41 PM

I'd start by checking your wiring to mare sure the connectors aren't corroded and the grounds are good. I'm on 3 years with my OEM bulbs and am going to replace them due to age/dimness.

dwtaylorpdx 01-01-2016 02:57 AM

Its also likely connects dot the pulsing of the voltage due to their wierd low charge levels at idle.

space egg 01-05-2016 12:17 AM

don't touch the glass of the bulbs :^P

The Fitness 01-05-2016 01:43 AM

Yes. Lights do burn out more than they should.

Originally Posted by JoelR (Post 1330950)
I have a 2010 Fit that seems to go through headlight bulbs more quickly than any car I've ever had.

While we're at it, has anyone else noticed the increased burn-out issue on their GE8 Fit and better yet, know of a solution?

I just had my second headlight replaced at 44K miles. Also had both parking lights replaced at around 35K. I do drive with lights on all the time but still, I have never had a car burn through bulbs as fast as this one.

My FirFreakFriend said that some of the 2009-2012 Fits have wiring issues so maybe that's what's going on. Mine's a '12 Sport.

JoelR 01-05-2016 02:18 AM

@space egg: So you're saying that holding the new bulb in my ear while I remove the old one isn't a good idea? :D

I ended up getting Sylvania Basic bulbs for about $10 ea @ the shitty parts store formerly known as Schucks. While doing so I noticed the expected life span is 1100 hours (and it states avg. usage is 100hrs per year). I re-read this looking for a decimal point after the '111' - nope, over eleven-hundred. Then I looked at the Silverstars: 150hrs. This doesn't explain the OEM bulbs burning out quicker than expected but I do know I tried to run the Sylvania Silverstars a few times, loved the extra light, and never imagined the life could be SO dramatically short by comparison. The Sylvania Basic bulbs are definitely...basic in performance, color temperature, etc. but for the price, they're getting the job done while I search for a better solution.

Desmond Lamar MacRae 01-14-2016 11:27 PM

This sounds like a Honda issue unless you burn halogen headlights 24/7 I have no answer for you. Put stock head lights back in and make a complaint. This is why you get extended warranties if you don't carry one because I don't have the answer. Most of us have gone HID. Only thing that I can think of is that you're touching the bulbs which is a huge no no because oils in our hands don't mix with bulb glass of headlights.

JoelR 01-15-2016 01:33 AM

@Desmond: I'm definitely not touching the bulbs during install, I know better. :) As for extended warranties, I don't about the rest of you but this car has been just about 100% fault free for the past 6 years so I think that would have been a waste of money but of course you never know until you need it.

Update: I took the car into the dealer to have the wiring checked out. It's fine. They said for the best diagnostic testing, we should put in the OEM bulbs and see how long they actually last so that's what we did. While this experiment runs, LED kits will only get better and cheaper so I guess it's fine to wait.

Desmond Lamar MacRae 01-15-2016 09:06 AM

See... Exactly what I told you to do. The one headlights I had trouble with was my 5th gen Honda Prelude. The low and high beams were the new bulbs for cars H1. The always ran hot and would blow every 2-3 months all Prelude owners tell me im lie'g??? lol. Was Aweful wht not switch to 35 watt HID's All those Halogen bulbs have wasted piles of money. At least HID's have 3yr warranty through Amazon.com. Some Send Replacement And dont want to chuck the burned up parts. I've used HID's since i swapped to hids when i switch to hondas the kit was 3xx.xx in mid 2000 for the cheapest ones. But i'd never go back to dark yellow lights. Not even my 68yo mom in her 13 civic EX-L NAVI.

4thCornerFit 01-19-2016 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoelR (Post 1330950)
I have a 2010 Fit that seems to go through headlight bulbs more quickly than any car I've ever had. Since new in 2009, I feel like I've replaced the driver's side bulb about once every 6 months, maybe 12 and the passenger bulb about every 10 to 15 months. Thinking it might be inferior aftermarket bulbs, I tried OEM bulbs (from the dealer) but they too burned out within months. Someone with a German car gave me some extra H4 bulbs and claimed they lasted many years. Nope, not on my Fit. Eventually, I sprung for an LED conversion kit thinking the LEDs would last like they do in my home but the driver's side died in about 1 month, the passenger in about 2 months. The kit was the highest rated of its kind at the time.

So, I'd like to resolve my constant burn-out issue with a more long-term and cost-effective solution but don't know which route to go: stock up on OEM H4's and just keep replacing every 6 months or so, get another LED conversion kit, HID, lasers? (j/k) :) BTW, the LED kit did a great job at illuminating the whole area in front of the car better than the OEM halogen bulbs but didn't illuminate as much further down the road where it really, really matters--like the spot you'd like to see a deer, etc. I'd be hesitant to go LED again unless I knew this issue was resolved.

I was intrigued by some LED plug-in units (direct replacements for the H4 bulbs), until I saw the "not to be used on cars with low-voltage daytime running lights" disclaimer on the web page. Since that's how the Fit does DRLs from the factory, and I'm not interested in adding supplemental units and doing the rewiring to bypass the headlight DRLs, I guess I'll pass on them...

kenchan 01-19-2016 01:56 PM

of the 4 fit's ive owned/own, none has required new bulbs. i had the 08GD and 09 GE for 5-6yrs..

there's definitely something wrong with your wiring or charging system (check alternator?)

bensenvill 01-19-2016 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JoelR (Post 1331393)
the Silverstars: 150hrs.

ugh that explains my problem. wow, that is pathetic.

Desmond Lamar MacRae 01-22-2016 01:15 PM

Yup. Go HID's and enjoy... ��

xxryu139xx 01-22-2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae (Post 1333449)
Yup. Go HID's and enjoy... ��

please don't. glare and blind people. go retrofit projectors and be much happier.

adamnnn 09-25-2018 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by JoelR (Post 1332634)
@Desmond: I'm definitely not touching the bulbs during install, I know better. :) As for extended warranties, I don't about the rest of you but this car has been just about 100% fault free for the past 6 years so I think that would have been a waste of money but of course you never know until you need it.

Update: I took the car into the dealer to have the wiring checked out. It's fine. They said for the best diagnostic testing, we should put in the OEM bulbs and see how long they actually last so that's what we did. While this experiment runs, LED kits will only get better and cheaper so I guess it's fine to wait.

im pretty sure i’m having the same problem. my low beams on both my driver and passenger side keep blowing out, but the high beams and drls work fine. the low beams never blow out at the same time though. usually one blows out first, then the other. but when i turn on my brights, the bulb lights up all the way. i’ve been using silvania silver stars and LEDS though. have you found the OEMS to last. has your problem fixed since switching to the OEMS?

Flashesbuck 09-26-2018 08:21 AM

I would check for moisture in the housing. Look when its wet out. Any kind of leak, with any amount of moisture getting in will shorten the life of any bulb.

4thCornerFit 09-26-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by adamnnn (Post 1413742)

im pretty sure i’m having the same problem. my low beams on both my driver and passenger side keep blowing out, but the high beams and drls work fine. the low beams never blow out at the same time though. usually one blows out first, then the other. but when i turn on my brights, the bulb lights up all the way. i’ve been using silvania silver stars and LEDS though. have you found the OEMS to last. has your problem fixed since switching to the OEMS?

As has been noted in a previous post, Silver Stars aren't rated for a long life span; that's what they trade for their brightness. Unless someone has come up with LED units that can handle being used for DRLs, that's not an option for me either.
FWIW, I'm getting what I consider a good balance between brightness and endurance with NAPA White Lite Premium bulbs - brighter than OEM, longer lasting than SilverStars.

Steve

GAFIT 09-26-2018 02:59 PM

Short answer is that a. Silverstars are not good bulbs and b. 95% of LED's are also poorly made.

I've had good luck with regular halogens, PIAA halogens, and quality HID's. Anyone have other options that actually last? As in, you've run them for 5+ years and they are still working?

adamnnn 09-27-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1413796)
Short answer is that a. Silverstars are not good bulbs and b. 95% of LED's are also poorly made.

I've had good luck with regular halogens, PIAA halogens, and quality HID's. Anyone have other options that actually last? As in, you've run them for 5+ years and they are still working?

i hate halogens so much. yes, does anybody have good recommendations on really durable HIDS? i hate the gross yellow color of halogens lol.

GAFIT 09-27-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by adamnnn (Post 1413867)

i hate halogens so much. yes, does anybody have good recommendations on really durable HIDS? i hate the gross yellow color of halogens lol.

HID's in the stock housing are a complete mess. The light just scatters in all directions. We tried it, but it really is as bad as people say.

The only good solutions in my opinion are either a proper HID retrofit or live with Halogen bulbs. A good set of PIAA halogen bulbs aren't cheap, but at least they are not yellow and they last.