Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Does the 2010 Fit Sport have a "black box" (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/93482-does-2010-fit-sport-have-black-box.html)

shawnshank 06-09-2016 07:42 AM

Does the 2010 Fit Sport have a "black box"

Does anyone know if the 2010 Honda fit has a black box that records things like speed, when a brake was applied etc?

SS

ezone 06-09-2016 11:02 PM

Only if there is an SRS deployment.

shawnshank 06-10-2016 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 1346863)
Only if there is an SRS deployment.

Thank you!

ezone 06-10-2016 01:36 PM

When most people refer to a 'black box' they are usually talking about the airbag (SRS) system computer that records the last several seconds of data leading up to a crash and deployment event. (Possible incriminating evidence?)

Along the same lines, but rarely referred to as a 'black box' of sorts, whenever a fault is detected and codes are stored in some of the onboard computers (check engine light, ABS warning light, transmission flashing D light, etc.), there CAN be a "snapshot" of operating data parameters stored that can help a tech understand the running conditions and give them an idea of how the car was being used at the time the fault was detected and trouble code was stored.

dwtaylorpdx 06-10-2016 07:03 PM

Side related story... Couple months back I had to sit at a accident scene where Corvette violated some laws of physics, after the ambulance left with the driver the state trooper jacked in to the OBDII port under the dash and downloaded the cars history for the last 20 to 30 minutes. He showed me the readout with Peak speed at 125 and the braking force at like 3.5 g's until the 12G's when the car hit the tree.. He said pretty much all the high hp cars have this in them.. Porsches, Vettes, and the like.. Since 1996... Of course the FIT isn't quite in that class.. LOL

Desmond Lamar MacRae 06-10-2016 07:37 PM

My 5th gen Prelude broke the timing belt 3 days after having it replaced and the ECU told the mechanic i was revving at 7200 rpm b4 it popped. If a 98' Prelude Type-SH had a black box, I'd def think any new model after that would.

Mister Coffee 06-13-2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx (Post 1346920)
Side related story... Couple months back I had to sit at a accident scene where Corvette violated some laws of physics, after the ambulance left with the driver the state trooper jacked in to the OBDII port under the dash and downloaded the cars history for the last 20 to 30 minutes. He showed me the readout with Peak speed at 125 and the braking force at like 3.5 g's until the 12G's when the car hit the tree.. He said pretty much all the high hp cars have this in them.. Porsches, Vettes, and the like.. Since 1996... Of course the FIT isn't quite in that class.. LOL

Is that data readout admissible in court?

Uncle Gary 06-15-2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Coffee (Post 1347037)
Is that data readout admissible in court?

although the data "belongs to the vehicle owner", I'm pretty sure any such data could be subpoenaed by a court if it chose to do so.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

dwtaylorpdx 06-16-2016 02:48 PM

Many states have "implied consent" to search laws when there is a injury or death in a traffic accident.

For instance if you refuse the breathalyzer test and there is an injury or death in an accident, the cops can haul you to a hospital and draw blood, and they will strap you down if they have to.. Most don't believe this but I sat on a jury trial for a DUI and the judge made it very clear it was 100% admissible.. YMMV

ezone 06-16-2016 03:13 PM

We have had a state police officer show up at my dealer holding an airbag control unit, asking if we can retrieve the data out of it for them I guess so they could do an accident reconstruction.

I said they need to contact American Honda (corporate), as dealers are not allowed access to that info.

phenoyz 06-18-2016 12:37 AM

how about this: iDatalink - Maestro - Home

phenoyz 06-18-2016 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by shawnshank (Post 1346823)
Does anyone know if the 2010 Honda fit has a black box that records things like speed, when a brake was applied etc?SS

i guess the best thing to do is buy a car front/rear dash cam ...

hella fit 06-24-2016 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx (Post 1346920)

haha thats awesome!