Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Frequent Headlamp Outage(s) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/94597-frequent-headlamp-outage-s.html)

mdoss2202 11-13-2016 09:14 PM

Frequent Headlamp Outage(s)

Hi there,

I've got a 2013 Fit and have a question about the headlamps, wondering if there may be another source of the problem that I'm having.

I got in my car yesterday and noticed that the low beam headlamp is out on the driver side of the vehicle. The default 'no beam' light works still, as does the high beam. Is this normal?

I follow this up in saying that this will be the third headlamp that I will be replacing in the last 6-7 months, the second time with the left lamp specifically. I could be wrong, but this seems like an unusually high rate of change. I've owned the car since Sept of 2013 and haven't changed any of the headlamps prior to early last spring.

Wondering if there may be something else going on rather than just burning the lamps out. Thanks for your help.

DrewE 11-13-2016 09:45 PM

The daytime running lights (the "no beam lights") are just the high beam filaments run at low power.

If you replaced the factory bulbs with high-brightness/high-performance light bulbs, then it's not at all surprising that they're burning out more rapidly. The high performance bulbs have much lower lifespans than plain old ordinary bulbs--as in somewhere around 10-20% of the life.

It's also not unusual for both bulbs to burn out in close succession since they are both operating for exactly the same length of time. It's usually easier I think to just replace them in pairs.

Howdy 12-01-2016 09:15 PM

Maybe you touched the halogen bulb accidentally during the install?

If this is an ongoing issue, you might need to get the charging system checked out. It is possible that the voltage regulator is going bad.

Shreck 02-21-2017 09:03 AM

Don't use any of the Sylvania brand bulbs, their is a class action lawsuit against then for mis-representing the life and brightness.
Sylvania SilverStar, Ultra and XtraVision Automotive Halogen Headlight National Class Action

I replaced my bulbs in pairs, but kept burning out in 8-10 months,

The class action involves the deceptive, misleading, false, and unfair advertising of the SilverStar, SilverStar Ultra, XtraVision, and Cool Blue premium halogen automotive headlamps as (i) being brighter, (ii) providing a wider beam, and (iii) enabling the user to see further down the road than standard automotive lighting products. However, Osram Sylvania omits to adequately disclose to consumers that their comparative “studies” are valueless and scientifically unsound.

Contrary to the representations made, the SilverStar, SilverStar Ultra, XtraVision, and Cool Blue premium halogen automotive headlights are no different than standard automotive lighting products in terms of visibility. In addition, Osram Sylvania fails to disclose that their Automotive Lighting Products have a significantly reduced life span when compared to regular halogen automotive lighting products.