2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

400k+ '09 Fit "build" thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
400k+ '09 Fit "build" thread

First post is basically copied/pasted from my newbie thread-

I purchased an '09 Fit (base, manual) from a buddy of mine at 389k miles back last May. He was the original owner and used it for work for a few years until he had switched careers. It was sold to me to try and continue it's legacy since I also drive a lot... and no one else wanted to buy it.

As of now (04/25/17) it is in the 428k range.

The day I got it-

Took it on a journey from Delaware to Toronto in July looking a lot better than the day I got it. It was buffed, new-ish 2012+ black headlights, OEM fogs...

400k money shot

Then drove it to Texas the following month, along with some stops...

Not too much has changed with it besides many more miles, non-threatening airbags, Osram blinding headlight bulbs, Ohtsu tires all around, a variable intermittent wiper switch, and slotted EBC rotors paired with Akebono ceramic pads. I have a few other things on it I haven't mentioned and also have a stash of goodies for it as well such as early-Sport front bumper and skirts for example, few OEM accessories here and there... Right now it's awaiting passenger side airbag replacement as well as new inner/outer tie rods

Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Some more photos/documentation-

At 420k, a buddy of mine did a valve adjustment for me as well as swapped out spark plugs. Yes, it's that clean for the mileage.

Took a photo at 425k, hit up some spots in the NoVA wine country area, and recently did the rotors and pads.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
What is the interval of oil and transmission fluid changes?

What engine oil has been used? How is the oil consumption?

How were the valves and plugs? Have those been serviced/replaced before?

How did the starter, water pump and the alternator hold up?

Awesome mileage. Thanks for sharing. Inspiring.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Fuck Yea!!!!

:v tec::vte c: :v tec::vte c: :v tec:

Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
What is the interval of oil and transmission fluid changes?
I follow the maintenance minder since that's what the previous owner did, so roughly 10k miles or so. Never let it go under 15-20%. Transmission fluid was always changed when the clutch gets replaced.

What engine oil has been used? How is the oil consumption?
Since owning it, I've been putting Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic heavy duty diesel oil since that's done well for me in past Hondas as far as burning the least. Before then, the previous owner took it to an oil change place he frequented and used some sort of synthetic Shell oil. I figured it's not *too* different than what it's used to. In between those ~10k miles, I wanna say maybe 3/4-1 quart of oil has to be put in. Haven't kept track, but I know for sure it's not much.

How were the valves and plugs? Have those been serviced/replaced before?
Only had two fairly loose valves when the adjustment was done and plugs definitely needed replacement. Previous adjustment and plugs were done sometime in 2011 with almost 196k miles. T'was definitely overdue. If I recall correctly, a plug change was done as well prior to that.

Everything internally is still original! Although the valve springs have been replaced at 196k due to the recall.

How did the starter, water pump and the alternator hold up?
Starter and water pump are still original. Debating on replacing the latter one of these days just from paranoia.

Currently on it's third alternator (remanufactured Mitsubishi), previous one was a used OEM unit and the pulley started whining and wobbled a bit. Also changed out the belt tensioner due to noise and play as well.

Awesome mileage. Thanks for sharing. Inspiring.
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. Wow, the car hasn't been exactly "babied" and still survived to this great mileage.
Yeah, I would definitely replace the water pump, along with hoses and the thermostat (and radiator cap).

I use Rotella t6 5w40 in my air cooled CRF230L dual sport motorcycle. It's a good oil.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the information. Wow, the car hasn't been exactly "babied" and still survived to this great mileage.
Yeah, I would definitely replace the water pump, along with hoses and the thermostat (and radiator cap).

I use Rotella t6 5w40 in my air cooled CRF230L dual sport motorcycle. It's a good oil.
Nope, not at all. Its living an easier life with me, but I'm still doing 3k miles a month and on occasion rev the piss out of it.

That's the plan. Hoping I don't have to replace the water pump just because it failed on me. If I didn't have to get my Miata running again, it would've been done already!

I love using Rotella. Even run the T5 10W-30 in my Miata and CB360.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Is your friend crazy? 400k miles in a Fit sounds like a painful experience.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Amazing...simply amazin!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have nothing constructive, just wanted to say this is awesome!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 PM
That intermittent wiper switch you mentioned, is it the one that adjusts the timing of the wiper when it's onthe lowest setting? do you have a part number or what car it's from?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Xtina
That intermittent wiper switch you mentioned, is it the one that adjusts the timing of the wiper when it's onthe lowest setting? do you have a part number or what car it's from?
I forget which model Honda they take one from but the mod can only work on stick shifts not autos. Something about a certain wire not in harness on the autos. Pity

Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Is your friend crazy? 400k miles in a Fit sounds like a painful experience.
Probably did, but it paid the bills I suppose lol

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
Amazing...simply amazin!
Originally Posted by axlline
I have nothing constructive, just wanted to say this is awesome!
Thanks, guys!

Originally Posted by Xtina
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I forget which model Honda they take one from but the mod can only work on stick shifts not autos. Something about a certain wire not in harness on the autos. Pity
Here's the DIY for it! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-non-navi.html

Did someone actually try to install it in an automatic? It only said in this one that the guy had a manual, but couldn't find any failed attempts in autos...

Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by julianachos

Here's the DIY for it! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-non-navi.html

Did someone actually try to install it in an automatic? It only said in this one that the guy had a manual, but couldn't find any failed attempts in autos...
Well I am pretty sure it will not work as some pin connector is not in the Auto wiring harness. I can't give you the specific reference but |I would have done it if possible.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM
pac
5 Year Member
Inspiring is an understatement. Can I ask which EBC rotors are you using? Have they matched up well with the Pro-ACT Akebono? Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pac
Inspiring is an understatement. Can I ask which EBC rotors are you using? Have they matched up well with the Pro-ACT Akebono? Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! They are EBC USR850. Ordered them through Amazon Prime.

The pair works great! I have to change out my BMC though since it's not being used to its full potential. A while back, a caliper went on me and lost all pedal pressure. The fluid was dirty and pedal went to the floor. Since then, my pedal feel has been out of whack.

Even changed out the fluid recently to ATE's Typ 200 DOT4 fluid. It got better, but I'm not 100% happy with it, so it's getting changed next week along with the CMC for an Integra one.

Fit it is currently at 430,9xx now. Here's a 430k shot-

Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
pac
5 Year Member
Those USR850s get really good reviews from Fit owners on AMZN.

Did you consider the more expensive BSD850 at all? Any reason you didn't pair with EBC pads? What will you be using instead of type 200?

Congrats on hitting a new milestone.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pac
Those USR850s get really good reviews from Fit owners on AMZN.

Did you consider the more expensive BSD850 at all? Any reason you didn't pair with EBC pads? What will you be using instead of type 200?

Congrats on hitting a new milestone.
i stuck with the USRs just cause I know I didn't need much more than that. Price-wise, the Akebonos were a better choice and still reputable.

I'm still sticking with the Typ 200 fluid actually. Just realized how I typed that, it sounded different than what I had meant!

I wasn't happy with the pedal pressure due to the questionable master cylinder. I'm sure it'll be much better once it is swapped out for a new(er) one.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Time to add nitrous and a snail! Just kidding.

Looks like you're going to hit the half a million mile mark.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
430k damn! Look forward to seeing how far this thing will go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 400k+ '09 Fit "build" thread