2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire question- front and back different sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Tire question- front and back different sizes

So I ordered 2 avid ascends to replace worn out dunlops. But, I am a dumba** and ordered 185 60r16 instead of 185 55r16 . Would it be ok to pair these with bridgestone turanza 185 55r16. I really know nothing about tires, but I am assuming this would void the warranty at least. But would it work out ok? If it would work which should be in the back and the front?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

The difference in the 2 sizes will be the overall diameter of the tire.

The 60 will be 24.7" vs the 55 which is 24". If I recall, the Fit has a "rake" from the factory favoring the front meaning the front end of the car sits lower than the rear end.

In addition to the diameter difference, if you install the larger at the front it will affect your overall odometer reading and speedometer reading as well by 2.9%. Which isn't much, but just something to note.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't think that small of a difference would matter. You do, of course, want to keep the similar tires paired across an axle. The only significant concern I can think of would be some of the computer bits being confused by the wheels turning at different speeds, which would affect the ABS and VSA systems.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Seems to me we need an answer to this from someone who knows what they're talking about. Can someone who knows for certain answer the OP: Is it going to mess with braking? OP, def put pairs on either side as DrewE says above. but someone please speak to the safety issue.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome.

You will be okay put the new tires up front and the old one to the rear. The fronts wear considerable faster and as a rule of thumb new rubber should always go on the fronts on a FWD car.

It is perfectly safe the difference in tire size is barely noticeable. Also no it won't void any warranty. Tires are a consumable item, like oil, brake pads and bulbs.

So no need to worry OP, just next time you order tires be sure to get the same size. Also be sure to rotate your tires!! You really shouldn't be wearing out the tires that unevenly to only replace 2 at a time. Most tires shops will do it for free or for a very low cost if you don't feel up to the task yourselves.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 AM
what Mr. Hollow said. Perfect answer.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Welcome.

You will be okay put the new tires up front and the old one to the rear. The fronts wear considerable faster and as a rule of thumb new rubber should always go on the fronts on a FWD car.

New tires should always go on the rear regardless of front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

From Tire Rack

Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However, in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

"When tires are replaced in pairs...the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front."

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.

Hydroplaning occurs when the tire cannot process enough water through its tread design to maintain effective contact with the road. In moderate to heavy rain, water can pool up in road ruts, depressions and pockets adjacent to pavement expansion joints. At higher speeds, the standing water often found in these pools challenges a tire's ability to resist hydroplaning.

Exactly when hydroplaning occurs is the result of a combination of elements including water depth, vehicle weight and speed, as well as tire size, air pressure, tread design and tread depth. A lightweight vehicle with wide, worn, underinflated tires in a heavy downpour will hydroplane at lower speeds than a heavyweight vehicle equipped with new, narrow, properly inflated tires in drizzling rain.

If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.

Experience
Members of the Tire Rack team had the chance to experience this phenomenon at Michelin's Laurens Proving Grounds. Participants were allowed to drive around a large radius, wet curve in vehicles fitted with tires of different tread depths -- one vehicle with new tires on the rear and half-worn tires on the front and the other with the new tires in the front and half-worn tires on the rear.

It didn't take long for this hands-on experience to confirm that the "proving grounds" name for the facility was correct. The ability to sense and control predictable understeer with the new tires on the rear and the helplessness in trying to control the surprising oversteer with the new tires on the front was emphatically proven.

And even though our drivers had the advantage of knowing we were going to be challenged to maintain car control, spinouts became common during our laps in the car with the new tires on the front and the worn tires on the rear. Michelin advises us that almost every driver spins out at least once when participating in this demonstration!

Experiencing this phenomenon in the safe, controlled conditions of Michelin's Laurens Proving Grounds rather than in traffic on an Interstate ramp in a rainstorm is definitely preferred!
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=52

Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Discount Tire will rotate your tires no charge. For best results, rotate every 5,000 miles.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
New tires should always go on the rear regardless of front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.
I've seen such articles a few times, and I remain somewhat skeptical.

It appears to me that they (the tire makers and so forth) are perhaps as much trying to limit their liability as promoting actual safety and performance. The tire companies pretty universally recommend that new tires go on the back, and if a tire installer dares to put them on the front and there's a serious accident, the lawyers and insurance companies come after the installer because they did not heed the tire maker's suggestions. Which axle is actually better depends on what the vehicle is doing; in the case of hydroplaning (which is what is usually used to prove the need for better tires on the back), having the front hydroplane first is certainly preferable, and hydroplaning very much can and does lead to serious accidents. On the other hand, in the case of climbing a snowy hill with a front wheel drive vehicle or stopping in wintery conditions, having the better tires on the front is preferable--you climb better and stop sooner. The latter may well factor into preventing an accident, but insurance companies don't pay out and people don't sue over close calls.

As someone who needs to climb snowy hills and stop at lights during the winter, I can assure you I will continue to keep my better tires on the front drive wheels. What others decide is entirely up to them, of course.

It goes without saying that the best option, in any case, is to have good tires all around.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
I've seen such articles a few times, and I remain somewhat skeptical.

It appears to me that they (the tire makers and so forth) are perhaps as much trying to limit their liability as promoting actual safety and performance. The tire companies pretty universally recommend that new tires go on the back, and if a tire installer dares to put them on the front and there's a serious accident, thlawyers and insurance companies come after the installer because they did not heed the tire maker's suggestions. Which axle is actually better depends on what the vehicle is doing; in the case of hydroplaning (which is what is usually used to prove the need for better tires on the back), having the front hydroplane first is certainly preferable, and hydroplaning very much can and does lead to serious accidents. On the other hand, in the case of climbing a snowy hill with a front wheel drive vehicle or stopping in wintery conditions, having the better tires on the front is preferable--you climb better and stop sooner. The latter may well factor into preventing an accident, but insurance companies don't pay out and people don't sue over close calls.

As someone who needs to climb snowy hills and stop at lights during the winter, I can assure you I will continue to keep my better tires on the front drive wheels. What others decide is entirely up to them, of course.

It goes without saying that the best option, in any case, is to have good tires all around.
You can do what you want. Yes it might climb a hill or go through snow better, but you have the same risk of spinning out. I know this from first hand experience. Had a flat that wasn't repairable on one of my snow tires. Figured winter was almost done so I put my regular tires on the rear. The next time it snowed littery the 3rd corner I went around the back end swung around and spun out in the intersection. Maybe you drive allot slower, maybe I drive to fast for conditions? Regardless, the same risk applies. Like I said, you or anyone else can do what the please. Doesn't make it right, certainly doesn't make it safe, just means you've been lucky