2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When did you replace your stock OEM battery?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:27 PM
When did you replace your stock OEM battery?

2013 Honda Fit Sport owner here. Purchased in May 2013.

I know the Fit battery is smaller and weaker but my mechanic says my battery is low and I should look into replacing it. He said it 8 months ago but I drove my Fit almost daily with no start up issues.

Took it in for an oil change and tune up and he said the same thing about the battery. I told him it starts up fine so I wasn't going to replace the battery until next year. I figured 5 years should be good.

My work commute is 13 miles each way and on weekends I sometimes drive 100 miles one way to visit friends and parents. I occasionally use it to charge my phone and I have always used a USB thumb drive to play MP3s all the time.

Was wondering if I should not risk needing a jump start and replace the battery now? My first car, a 2000 Honda Civic I didn't replace the battery until 7 years.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:22 PM
My battery was replaced after 10 years.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM
I had mine well over five years and decided to replace it just because I didn't want to risk getting stranded somewhere late at night. I figured I'd be buying a new one at some point, why not avoid waiting an hour for AAA at 2 AM?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced mine after 6yrs, 100k miles. Was starting to crank slower, so I replaced it before it stranded me somewhere.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Mine was replaced after 1.5 years under warranty.

Since I do not trust those small batteries, I'll replace it again this Fall with a 51R.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moneygrabber

I know the Fit battery is smaller and weaker but my mechanic says my battery is low and I should look into replacing it. He said it 8 months ago but I drove my Fit almost daily with no start up issues.
did you ask him what "low" meant ? hooked up to a tender for a night could be all it needed. 8 months after and it is still working....didn't need replacing when he said it did

april 13 is when i bought mine, no battery concerns here

Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
My Fit is also a little over 4 years old too. The battery feels like it cranks a little slower than when brand new but otherwise still working. I tested it with a Schumacher bt-100 battery tester and it shows the battery still outputs enough amps. I believe the factory warranty on the battery is 10 years? If it is weak you should be able to take it to dealership to replace it for free?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
In Canada, battery warranty is 3 years from dealer...

Old 07-09-2017, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
US OEM battery warranty is three years- according to the warranty guide from my 2009 Sport....

Old 07-09-2017, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced mine on my 2009 in late 2015 with a 51R, having a higher capacity. Mine was still fine, but with winter coming, I didn't feel comfortable leaving my wife stranded somewhere. Her daughter needs the wifes Civic, an automatic so my manual is shared.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
US OEM battery warranty is three years- according to the warranty guide from my 2009 Sport....
Ah Ok, I must've been thinking about the replacement battery warranty section. Page 33 says a replacement battery purchased from your Honda dealer is covered by 100 months limited warranty. Still much longer than any aftermarket battery I've seen.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
around here, every 3-4 years or so. if la jolla is a warm place, then less often :P

Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moneygrabber

Took it in for an oil change and tune up and he said the same thing about the battery. I told him it starts up fine so I wasn't going to replace the battery until next year. I figured 5 years should be good.

My work commute is 13 miles each way and on weekends I sometimes drive 100 miles one way to visit friends and parents. I occasionally use it to charge my phone and I have always used a USB thumb drive to play MP3s all the time.

Was wondering if I should not risk needing a jump start and replace the battery now? My first car, a 2000 Honda Civic I didn't replace the battery until 7 years.

You do understand in regard to the battery it's not just about starting your car. A low battery might start your car, but can play havoc on the ECU. You're right, don't buy one. Wait to you car doesn't start or starts randomly throwing codes. Obviously your mechanic is trying to take advantage of you and cheap Fit owner s on this forum are a better source than the guy who physically touched your car?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
You do understand in regard to the battery it's not just about starting your car. A low battery might start your car, but can play havoc on the ECU. You're right, don't buy one. Wait to you car doesn't start or starts randomly throwing codes. Obviously your mechanic is trying to take advantage of you and cheap Fit owner s on this forum are a better source than the guy who physically touched your car?
"a little low" this is what the guy "who touched the car" said. i asked what that meant ? you could test a bunch of cars in any parking lot and most likely find some "a little low" does it need water? or, as i asked, a night on a tender? either of these could be easy fixes to a little low.

"a little low" is certainly not justification to replace a battery. more information is needed from the guy who touched the car and from the owner. had the car been sitting for a month, etc?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
2009. I'm on my third battery.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Battery worked fine but replaced anyway. 2009 Fit at the start of the winter of 2015. I've had plenty of problems with our bought-new Fit but the battery/charging system hasn't been one of them.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
5 years and 210K miles the original battery crapped out. It went pretty suddenly...started in the morning, drove the kid to school, sat for about 10 minutes in the parking lot with the car off but the radio on, then it wouldn't start. We bump-started it (manual trans) and drove it to the auto parts store for a new battery.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM
I am on my third battery... put into service 3/4/10.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Changed mine last summer after 5 years at ~50k. OEM 2011 battery was still working fine but I was doing some travelling far from home and didn't take the risk. I'm a preventative maintenance kind of guy (although I just changed the brake fluid for the first time, it was pretty dark and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner) and don't mind spending a few extra dollars to do things early just so I don't get stranded. The accessory belt will be next. Even though it "looks fine" it's something that will be a major headache if it lets go.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i posted numerous times but the GD, 2 GE's all lasted over 5-6yrs and never had to replace one before trade-in/sale.

the trick for me is to maintain the battery water level even if it says NO MAINTENANCE battery.
and if im not going to be driving the car for more than 2 weeks, plug it into a battery manager and keep it at float.

i had a 12yr old car with original battery, still cranking strong when i traded her in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When did you replace your stock OEM battery?