2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Tips For Towing with Automatic Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Any Tips For Towing with Automatic Fit?

Hey guys!

I own a 2013 Honda Fit. I need to be able to haul some things around (relatively light furniture, boxes, etc) and was thinking I would need to buy a truck which is totally not in my budget.

I ended up googling my way to this forum where I found out that *gasp* I CAN TOW WITH MY FIT!

I'm getting a tow hitch put on tomorrow then I'm looking for a light trailer to buy.

I've done quite a bit of reading so I know some of the basics but I was wondering if I should do anything special with an automatic trans while towing? I can see some people only recommend using a manual.

I'm not planning on towing any more than 700-800lbs, I'll be extremely careful and I've done lots of research on balancing the load and such.

And while I'm asking questions, can cars "get in trouble" for pulling trailers? I'm going to register it with my province but I'm afraid we may attract some attention from the boys in blue, a little car pulling a little trailer might turn some heads.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
The good news for you is that you have a 5-speed automatic instead of the CVT. I would not tow with the CVT for fear of failure. Some have done it, but I would not.

Heat is the number one enemy of a transmission. I recommend installing a transmission cooler in line with the factory cooler located in the radiator.

https://www.etrailer.com/tran-2013_Honda_Fit.htm

That alone will make a big difference.

Second part is make sure your car is up to the task. Make sure your brakes and fluid are in good working order and your coolant isn't past the mileage/time date according to the owners manual. Follow the transmission fluid change interval for severe duty.

Make sure to balance the load on the trailer. You want tongue weight so the the trailer will not sway, but not so much that it crushes the back suspension. Shoot for more weight toward the front than the rear, but back off on the total load of the the car is sagging too much

I don't know about Canada, but in the US police are clueless when it comes to towing rules. As long as your trailer has lights and the car doesn't look overloaded, I don't think you'd have any problem here. Not sure about Canada.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
The good news for you is that you have a 5-speed automatic instead of the CVT. I would not tow with the CVT for fear of failure. Some have done it, but I would not.

Heat is the number one enemy of a transmission. I recommend installing a transmission cooler in line with the factory cooler located in the radiator.

https://www.etrailer.com/tran-2013_Honda_Fit.htm

That alone will make a big difference.

Second part is make sure your car is up to the task. Make sure your brakes and fluid are in good working order and your coolant isn't past the mileage/time date according to the owners manual. Follow the transmission fluid change interval for severe duty.

Make sure to balance the load on the trailer. You want tongue weight so the the trailer will not sway, but not so much that it crushes the back suspension. Shoot for more weight toward the front than the rear, but back off on the total load of the the car is sagging too much

I don't know about Canada, but in the US police are clueless when it comes to towing rules. As long as your trailer has lights and the car doesn't look overloaded, I don't think you'd have any problem here. Not sure about Canada.
Thank you Thank you Thank you!

We've been debating on putting the transmission cooler on, I think we will do it though. The gist of what I got is that if we do 700lbs and not much more, and go really easy, avoid hilly terrain, etc that we can probably get away without a transmission cooler. However I obviously don't want to risk my car so I think we will just have one put in. Not sure if it's something my husband would be able to do himself, we'll have to look into it more.

I'm so excited and anxious to be towing with my Fit. I've never towed anything before so I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the first little while.

If this works out it will save me thousands and thousands of dollars that I would have had to spend on a truck! All I really need is a bit more towing capability, don't truly need a truck. Definitely wasn't thinking of towing capability when I was car shopping so this is such a nice surprise.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
A transmission cooler is always a good idea for any automatic. Consider it a cheap investment that will help even if you never tow.

You will be fine towing. Just take it easy at first and get the feel of how your car behaves. I don't recommend higher speeds until you are completely comfortable.

If needed, some have found Monroe air shocks that work on the Fit that will help with the load if the car is sagging too much. You'll have to do some research. The MA811 reportedly worked well on the GD Fit, but I see a YT video of a guy saying the MA793 works better on the GK. Got sure which is better for your GE.

Most important is your cars maintenance status. As I said before, make sure it's up to the challenge. Fresh coolant, transmission, and brake fluid, if it's time for those and make sure your tires and suspension are OK.

How many miles are on your Fit? That will be the judge for what all needs to be serviced if none were done previously.