Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   blown plug - need new motor (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/96822-blown-plug-need-new-motor.html)

spike55_bmw 12-30-2019 08:53 PM

Again, I'm curious why everyone wants to change coil packs when they are still working. Easy to change later it here's a code.

Goobers 12-31-2019 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw (Post 1441121)
Again, I'm curious why everyone wants to change coil packs when they are still working. Easy to change later it here's a code.

"Everyone?"

When I changed my plugs at 134k, it was already long after the maintenance minder code for it came and went.

Unless you're talking about waiting for a DTC to pop... now, that would be silly.

spike55_bmw 12-31-2019 06:41 AM

To me, a coil pack can easily / cheaply be gotten and be installed in less than 60 mins when changing all 4. I'm just skeptical about a display telling me what to do that is simply based on miles driven not matter how easy / hard / rain / desert / etc. I'm more willing to wait for the code / engine missing (1 cyl at a time - what are the chances multiple coil packs fail all at once and leave you sitting?).

That said, I'll get new tires (deep tread) prior to winter (Pennsylvania) even though my tires would be good / pass the state's annual safety inspections for another 10,000 miles in Florida / Texas. I just approach this differently. No right or wrong implied by me.

Red 05 12-31-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw (Post 1441128)
To me, a coil pack can easily / cheaply be gotten and be installed in less than 60 mins when changing all 4. I'm just skeptical about a display telling me what to do that is simply based on miles driven not matter how easy / hard / rain / desert / etc. I'm more willing to wait for the code / engine missing (1 cyl at a time - what are the chances multiple coil packs fail all at once and leave you sitting?).

That said, I'll get new tires (deep tread) prior to winter (Pennsylvania) even though my tires would be good / pass the state's annual safety inspections for another 10,000 miles in Florida / Texas. I just approach this differently. No right or wrong implied by me.

So much of the car has to come out/off to be able to replace coils and plugs that I seriously doubt it's a 60 minute job. And the point of automotive maintenance is to not wait until failure to fix a wear item. I'd rather perform preventive maintenance on my time when it's convenient for me.

spike55_bmw 12-31-2019 09:30 AM

I can guarantee that I can reach in on the passenger side with my left hand / arm with a 10mm socket on wrench for the coil pack bolts and replace each coil pack in less than 60 mins. If you're not fussy about torque specs, changing the spark plugs at the same time doesn't add much more time.

I agree it would take hours, if you are going to remove the windshield wipers, the plastic cowling, the full airbox, so you can access the rear of the engine and use a torque wrench on each plug, and them put it all back together. I'm done with that process, tried it and the plugs worked loose again anyway. I did the 'left-arm reach in' and put blue threadlocker on each plug and it has held up for 30,000+ miles. I guess I'm one of the luck ones since that process has worked so well for me.