2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Fit Low Tire Pressure Light - How To Reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
2012 Fit Low Tire Pressure Light - How To Reset

I got a low tire pressure light, not the tpms light. Checked all tires and brought them up to 32psi. The owners manual says the light will go off by itself but doesn’t say how long it will take. I drove about 5 miles but the light didn’t go off. Does anyone know how long this will take?

Old 11-11-2017, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, 5 miles always worked for me (2011 AT).

Old 11-11-2017, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
2012 has a real TPMS sensor in each tire....
Simply air it up to spec and drive it up to 30 MPH, it should go out almost immediately after you hit about 20-25 MPH. Speed is important because centrifugal force activates each sensor.

If a sensor is inaccurate (transmits pressure data lower than the actual pressure), that could cause it to not turn the light off.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
2012 has a real TPMS sensor in each tire....
Simply air it up to spec and drive it up to 30 MPH, it should go out almost immediately after you hit about 20-25 MPH. Speed is important because centrifugal force activates each sensor.

If a sensor is inaccurate (transmits pressure data lower than the actual pressure), that could cause it to not turn the light off.
So if I drove 65mph for a couple miles it should have gone out? Might have a bad sensor. How in the heck would I determine which one is bad?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mharnisch
So if I drove 65mph for a couple miles it should have gone out? Might have a bad sensor.
Consider maybe you have an inaccurate tire gauge......You could air them up another 6-10 PSI (don't go past whatever max pressure is stamped in the sidewall) and give it a quick drive just to see if the light goes out

FWIW the system is set to turn the warning light on when any tire sensor reading drops below a certain pressure, probably like 26-29 PSI on a Fit.

How in the heck would I determine which one is bad?
Now you need more equipment.....like a sensor reader such as an ATEQ TPMS tool....

I'd expect you could stop in just about any tire store and see if they can check if a sensor went brain dead or tell you if any read well under what you think you put in the tires (and verify electronic data vs. actual tire pressure with a known good gauge).......and get a price to fix it, same for any dealership.
Fees will probably vary greatly.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Consider maybe you have an inaccurate tire gauge......You could air them up another 6-10 PSI (don't go past whatever max pressure is stamped in the sidewall) and give it a quick drive just to see if the light goes out

FWIW the system is set to turn the warning light on when any tire sensor reading drops below a certain pressure, probably like 26-29 PSI on a Fit.

Now you need more equipment.....like a sensor reader such as an ATEQ TPMS tool....

I'd expect you could stop in just about any tire store and see if they can check if a sensor went brain dead or tell you if any read well under what you think you put in the tires (and verify electronic data vs. actual tire pressure with a known good gauge).......and get a price to fix it, same for any dealership.
Fees will probably vary greatly.
I have a small digital compressor that I just dial in the Pressure I want, turn it on, and it shuts off at the set pressure. I have a couple other manual pressure gages that I can use to check the pressure to see if they all match. Assuming they do, tomorrow I will take the pressure up as you suggested and see what that does and go from there. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
OK. Here is the latest. I used a digital gage to compare the readings with my compressor gage. The first three tires were within 1 or 1.5 psi, pressures were 31.5 to 32. The last tire was 25. No wonder the light was on. Either I did not inflate that tire yesterday to 32 or it has a leak. Once I brought it back up to 32 I took it for a ride. Only went about one block and light went out. Doubt that I even got up to 20 mph. So I then removed the questionable tire, inspected it and gave it the soap test. Did not find any obvious leaks. So now will just wait and see. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Just had to deal with 2 sensors go out at the same time, had to make 3 trips to the tire shop before they could fit me in and finally went somewhere else after becoming frustrated

Must have been a month with me driving with the TPMS on my dash, very annoying!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waiz
Just had to deal with 2 sensors go out at the same time, had to make 3 trips to the tire shop before they could fit me in and finally went somewhere else after becoming frustrated

Must have been a month with me driving with the TPMS on my dash, very annoying!
So you had the tpms light on, not the low tire pressure light. How did they determine which sensors were bad?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
So you had the tpms light on, not the low tire pressure light. How did they determine which sensors were bad?
This is where one would need a specialty tool such as the ATEQ TPMS tool I mentioned earlier. (google it for company info)
This tool can electronically activate individual sensors and display their data, any that do not respond to the tool are deemed faulty.

One can also use a scanner to read fault codes stored in memory and view live data of the TPMS control unit, along with using the TPMS tool.
The scanner could be part of the TPMS tool, or a dedicated standalone scanner.

Sometimes the sensors stop transmitting intermittently, so reading codes and using that info is more thorough than just seeing which sensors can't be read with the other tool.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Correct, obviously not the same issue as you since I think you either had a faulty gauge or you might have a leak

The manager had this tool that told him the battery strength, pressure, and temp in each tire:

Amazon Amazon

I wish we had temp and exact pressure in our cars since the sensor can track it, we should be able to see it but I know I am asking for a lot from Honda's entry-level car

I also have this tire gauge that I have found is the most accurate when compared to anything else:

Amazon Amazon

This is where one would need a specialty tool such as the ATEQ TPMS tool I mentioned earlier. (google it for company info)
This tool can electronically activate individual sensors and display their data, any that do not respond to the tool are deemed faulty.

One can also use a scanner to read fault codes stored in memory and view live data of the TPMS control unit, along with using the TPMS tool.
The scanner could be part of the TPMS tool, or a dedicated standalone scanner.

Sometimes the sensors stop transmitting intermittently, so reading codes and using that info is more thorough than just seeing which sensors can't be read with the other tool.
Great info

Old 11-13-2017, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Although I can't find it now, I seem to remember that the TPMS sensors' alert pressure is different between a 15" rim versus a 16" rim. Think that the TPMS sensor is identical but the car's computer "triggers" the low pressure alert at a different psi. Sort of makes sense since Honda's recommended psi is different for the 175-15 series on the Base model and the 185-16 series on the Sport. Probably nothing to worry about.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I got a low tire pressure light, not the tpms light
Not sure what you mean.
As far as I know there is only 1 indicator light that has anything to do with the tire pressure and that is the TPMS light.
There is no separate low pressure light and TPMS light.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, two different lights and they monitor two different parts of the system and "alert" for different reasons (BTW, I have a 2011 Sport).
"TPMS" light comes on when some part of the system fails: TPMS batteries are dead, sensor is broken, sensor is missing like when you use the spare that doesn't have a sensor in it at all, etc.

The low pressure light (sort of looks like a cross section of tire with an exclamation mark in middle) only comes on when one or more tire pressures are below what Honda set (I think it is 27 psi on my 16" rims), but the system is working properly otherwise.

Also, if the "TPMS" system light is on, indicating a failure, I think the VAS (traction control sort of thing) light comes on, indicating that it is disabled until the system gets fixed.

The VAS system gets disabled when the check-engine light is on too.

Again, not sure what yr FIT you have but Honda introduced VAS in 2011 but the TPMS has been consistent for several yrs. They might have changed it on the Generation 3 FITs to work off of the ABS sensors rather than a stand alone pressure monitor.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Yep, two different lights and they monitor two different parts of the system and "alert" for different reasons (BTW, I have a 2011 Sport).
"TPMS" light comes on when some part of the system fails: TPMS batteries are dead, sensor is broken, sensor is missing like when you use the spare that doesn't have a sensor in it at all, etc.

The low pressure light (sort of looks like a cross section of tire with an exclamation mark in middle) only comes on when one or more tire pressures are below what Honda set (I think it is 27 psi on my 16" rims), but the system is working properly otherwise.

Also, if the "TPMS" system light is on, indicating a failure, I think the VAS (traction control sort of thing) light comes on, indicating that it is disabled until the system gets fixed.

The VAS system gets disabled when the check-engine light is on too.

Again, not sure what yr FIT you have but Honda introduced VAS in 2011 but the TPMS has been consistent for several yrs. They might have changed it on the Generation 3 FITs to work off of the ABS sensors rather than a stand alone pressure monitor.
My apologies then.
I didn't realize there were two indicator lights.

I need to go back to my owners manual and learn.

I've had the TPMS light, falsely indicate for me...didn't realize there were separate indicator lights one for low pressure...and one for the TPMS system itself.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX.
I just checked my owners manual, and there is a big multi-page section that shows "Indicators".
There is an indicator...the open tire with the exclamation point in it...
and in my manual it is described as "Low Tire Pressure/TPMS Indicator"

I can find no other separate or different indicator light for ONLY low tire pressure.

Possible I'm missing it, but my owners manual would suggest there is no other indicator light for the system.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
fitchet: You're posting in the Generation 2 Fit section and you have a Gen 3. That's why our advice doesn't match your problem. I have no idea how the Gen 3 Fits works.

Ask over there.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
That's true.

But I don't have a problem.
I'm just saying, I don't think there is a separate indicator for TPMS and Low Tire Pressure.
I think one is the other and vice-versa.

Google Search for 2012 Honda Dash Indicator Lights also seems to agree.
There is the Tire with the exclamation point....and that is an indicator of both the TPMS "system" and the warning indicator for possible low tire pressure.
Still don't think there are two separate lights.

I could be wrong...would welcome anyone posting the actual low tire pressure light...if there is actually a separate indicator. Gen 2 or Gen 3.
I owned a Gen 2 and never thought there was a separate light.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
What google search I did...
Defined the open tire with the exclamation point in it as being BOTH a potential Malfunction Light for the TPMS system AND a Low Tire Pressure condition warning light.

But again...not two separate lights.

Plus, I think you are talking about VSA...vehicle stability assist.
Which is also a totally separate system. Doesn't have anything to do with monitoring your tire pressure. It's the icon with the vehicle with the squiggly lines following it.

Last edited by fitchet; 11-13-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Page 59 of the 2011 and 2008 owners manual shows two indicators. One for low pressure and one for TPMS.

Not sure what years that applies to. Probably only cars with "real" sensors.

Quick Reply: 2012 Fit Low Tire Pressure Light - How To Reset