2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mice evidence

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Mice evidence

We recently had a cold snap, and the following day we started a road trip... for some reason we open the glove box and we found mouse droppings on a rag I use to wipe the windows...
Quickly disposed of this, and cleaned out the glove box... over the span of the trip I have not found other evidence, BUT driving home last night there was a cold draft on the passenger side... the dash piece between the 2 glove boxes was freezing, and the foot well had a draft.
I am guessing these mice made a hole somewhere, but i have no idea where to even start looking, and it is way too cold to just sit outside and start randomly looking.
Hoping someone has had a similar issue and could point me in the right direction...

Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Who Knows?
I think you're just going to have to wait until it warms up and look.
Mice, rodents...are pretty much evolved to get into tight spaces. It doesn't take a lot of gap or space for them to make their way in.

If you're "lucky" the mice or mouse, just made it's way in through some path of least resistance.
Or it used it's ever growing front teeth to gnaw a hole somewhere you don't want it.

But I wouldn't feign to try to speculate exactly how or where a rodent may of made it's way to your glove box.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as fitchet. I will just add that looking for the point of entry will probably involve removing the cowl area.

If you're due mileage wise, might be a good time to change the spark plugs.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
If you see evidence of one...there are more. Get some poison place paks and put them around the walls of the garage (preferably behind things where they like to run)
Don't open the paks...they are attracted to the smell of them and will chew into them for the bait.
If you keep the car outside...snap traps might get them.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:25 PM
looks like it is time to find a friend with a heated-garage...

all the clever-ideas i had would be impractical if not downright-dangerous... like filling the cabin with incense-smoke to see where the smoke-comes-out... lol...

if i were a mouse, i would start in the engine-compartment and work-my-way in... presumably the air-intakes would be the easiest points of entry (set to recirc?), but most critters (rats) around here just go for the anti-freeze hoses - which presents its own sets of problems...

gl, h.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
We've had at least two instances of mice "nests" on top of the cabin filter, which is behind the glove box. Might want to check that area while you are at it.

Are you getting heat out of the system on the passenger side in addition to the cold air draft? If everything works, I'm not sure how a mouse could cause a draft. They can get in the cabin with little effort, so they don't have any incentive in creating a hole big enough to cause a draft.

I use "Bounce" dryer sheets to try to keep mice out of our vehicles, which are parked outside. Seems to help, but can't say for sure.

Last edited by cfesting; 01-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
We always get them (nests) on top of the cabin air filter (CIVIC & FIT). Mine (FIT) was big enough the stop the RECIRC flap from working. I check ours 3 to 4 times a yr.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
These work very well if you are parked inside with 120VAC available. I use them in my garage, my hangar, and my motorhome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152810923308

If parked outside with no 120 VAC, mothballs work well under the hood or in the engine air intake. I usually put a few in an old nylon stocking. DO NOT get them near the air intake for the heater / AC. The smell will drive you out of the car.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
These work very well if you are parked inside with 120VAC available. I use them in my garage, my hangar, and my motorhome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152810923308

If parked outside with no 120 VAC, mothballs work well under the hood or in the engine air intake. I usually put a few in an old nylon stocking. DO NOT get them near the air intake for the heater / AC. The smell will drive you out of the car.
cool, thanks for the info. going to get one for my garage..!

i had mice dropping in the engine bay of my previous hobby car so i know for certain my area has mice too...

Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Get a couple of them. They are cheap. I have 2 in my 2.5 car garage and 2 in my 54x54 hangar. I also have 1 inside my motorhome and 1 in my basement at home. My wife claims that she can just bearly hear them. I can not hear them at all. I have not seen a mouse or mouse droppings for years since I got them.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
cool. i got mine just now. going to go install them in my garage.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
The mice in Pennsylvania aren't bothered by the Victor PestChaser with Nighlight but Victor's other product line was effective.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
i think youre suppose to put those things near the floor. my vensmile is on the floor and have not had any rodents in my garage this season.

if i put cheeze traps and other food based traps i found that it does more harm than good as it INVITES rodents into my garage from the scent. good job catching one though!

Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have any outlets close to the floor but maybe the smell of cheese overruled the critter's repulsion to the ultrasonic waves. I have four (4) ultrasonic units in operation out there in a 720 sq ft garage, and only two (2) old school traps.

Just a curious visual worthy of a pic between repellent and trap.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
It's interesting to read about mice problems. I live in Phoenix, AZ, so no critter problems here in the city. There have been occasions of roof rats in some parts of Phx area & those are nasty to deal with. Worst problems I have are heat related. Get heat cracks on the tires and the batteries usually last about 2 years.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I don't have any outlets close to the floor but maybe the smell of cheese overruled the critter's repulsion to the ultrasonic waves. I have four (4) ultrasonic units in operation out there in a 720 sq ft garage, and only two (2) old school traps.

Just a curious visual worthy of a pic between repellent and trap.
i suppose you could use an extension cord.. but then again you already have a working solution so..

in my area that cheeze (or any foods) would just invite more mice.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
We are out in the country and these mice really have a good "work ethic". Pic is from wife's CIVIC that was driven every day to work and on weekends, so the critters would have had to go for a ride at least once.

If you let them go too long the recirc flap gets hung up on new material brought in to the HVAC system. A big area of Honda's plastic bubble wrap sound damp material is stripped off my FIT's firewall behind the glove box.

Another interesting thing is that at times, we have had up to 7 cats (inside / outside) living here, and some were real killers but apparently they never crossed paths

Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
kia even uses chipmunk actors in their TV commericals..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i suppose you could use an extension cord.. but then again you already have a working solution so..

in my area that cheeze (or any foods) would just invite more mice.
I have mine up high as well and seems to be working. No mice but no Fit in garage either. Peanut butter works best here for bait in the traps.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
I wiped out a clan of four (4) over 1 hr on a single trap. After I set the trap with peanut butter, I picked it up with pliers and ran it through a candle flame to get my scent off of it. Careful placed the trap with the pliers - no re-contamination. They threw caution to the wind - SNAP!

Caught another one in the garage by the electronic repellent. I can't have the garage / cars smelling like a two-week hamster cage.

Quick Reply: Mice evidence