Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   2012 engine oil drains in 2 months (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/97635-2012-engine-oil-drains-2-months.html)

Matthew Falzon 02-20-2018 12:51 PM

2012 engine oil drains in 2 months

Hello,

Can anyone help me with something?
My engine oil is draining every 2 months.
I don't have any leakages and the oil that I am giving it is 5-20.

Can anyone help?
thanks

bargainguy 02-21-2018 12:03 PM

Your oil is going somewhere, so detective work is needed to figure out where.

You can get a rough idea of how much oil you're going through via the dipstick readings. Start with a fresh oil/filter change, check to see how much oil is on the dipstick and make a note of it. Check the dipstick every time you drive to see how much oil is remaining. This will at least show whether you're losing it all at once (not as likely) or a slow leak over time (more likely).

To confirm no leaks from the bottom of the engine/oil pan/drain plug, put a big piece of cardboard underneath the engine after you've driven the car and parked it. If anything drips out, that's your answer, or at least part of your answer.

It's possible that a valve cover gasket has blown. If you look at the engine from the top, does it appear that there are oil deposits anywhere? Might also be some blown oil on the underside of the hood.

More ominous would be major engine work - bad rings, blown head gasket, etc. Is there any whitish smoke blowing from the exhaust?

larrymcewin 02-23-2018 12:24 AM

Has the car ever been overheated? Those aluminum heads on Hondas will warp causing oil to leak into the cylinders, sort of like a bad head gasket.

(If so, you'll see white/bluish smoke when you rev the engine).

ardvark2175 02-23-2018 07:55 AM

I had same problem.

Caused by a bad pcv valve on mine.

iFitFITS 02-23-2018 10:35 AM

sounds like some shot rings to me.

spike55_bmw 02-23-2018 04:24 PM

I had a crankcase ventilation system hooked to the intake manifold (Volvo) that had too much vacuum. Plugs in #3 & #4 oil soaked. Brazed nipple shut then drilled smaller hole. Greatly improved. Was only getting ~160 miles per quart of oil on new car.

sneefy 02-23-2018 08:58 PM

"Engine oil is draining" is imprecise and "every two months" is meaningless. How much are you losing over how many miles?

steve37 02-23-2018 10:47 PM

Four days since he posted...no answers from him.....

Henus 10-08-2018 03:09 PM

What were the signs your vehicle gave for a bad PCV Valve.

Henus 10-08-2018 08:25 PM

Help

Originally Posted by ardvark2175 (Post 1394066)
Caused by a bad pcv valve on mine.

What were the signs u were getting for a bad pcv valve.

spike55_bmw 10-10-2018 06:14 AM

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve

Wealth of knowledge here on PVC valve operation

To answer the OP's question, he should look to see if the engine's air filter is coated with oil getting sucked through a "stuck open" PVC valve.

Henus 10-10-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw (Post 1414875)
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve

Wealth of knowledge here on PVC valve operation

To answer the OP's question, he should look to see if the engine's air filter is coated with oil getting sucked through a "stuck open" PVC valve.

Thanks air filter was not coated with oil though. But for some deep feeling I feel its the PCV valve causing the probs but mechanics says he see no signs of a bad pcv valve.

spike55_bmw 10-11-2018 07:43 AM

I just posted this under "Bad PVC" and could apply here:

Well, if you start out with the proper oil level in the crankcase and you don't see any oil dripping off of the engine, the only way out is to the atmosphere is through the combustion chamber. Again, you don't see any oil spots on the pavement where the car is parked and/or you don't see oily residue on the bottom on the engine / car surfaces?

There are two routes to the atmosphere through the combustion chamber: in the old days, valve covers had "breather caps" that allowed crankcase pressure & oil fumes to escape but now that is controlled by the PVC system of valve & tubing that feeds back into engine intake at some location. OR, the oil is leaking into the combustion chambers around bad valve guides or bad piston rings. With the volume of loss you're experiencing, I'd have to say that there should be some oily residue on the surface of the exhaust tip if not "blue" smoke and/or the odor of burning motor oil if you sample the exhaust fumes with a "calibrated" nose.

Your spark plugs could provide some info. If they are black / oily then you know that the oil is being burned: bad valve guides, piston rings, PVC system. If only one / two spark plugs are black / oily then you can eliminate the PVC system because all spark plugs should be seeing the same amount of oil mist under that scenario. But a black / oily plug isn't good if you haven't seen the Check-Engine-Light (CEL) indicating a misfire. A misfire would say the the plug is bad, and if not firing, that cylinder could have weird pressure / vacuum cycles and be "sucking" oil past the piston rings / valve guides. All new plugs and possibly a new coil pack on the bad cylinder would fix it. Absent a CEL, that would indicate a bad cylinder system = $$$ because then it would be piston rings and/or valve guides.

Keep us updated, Thx

Henus 10-16-2018 01:05 PM

Changed the pcv valve today. A lot of air was getting through the one i took out, comparing to the one i bought. Now watching to see the difference. Also a lot of moisture was on the side leading to the intake.

Henus 10-28-2018 09:14 PM

Really fustrated

Changed the PCV Valve and still loosing oil where and no Mechanic can diagnose the prob well guess I will just have to buy a quart of oil each month to top up😒😒😒😒. Cause I have no smoke, clean engine, no oil in tail pipe , no signs of leak and it drives good.

ezone 10-28-2018 09:57 PM

From your other thread:

Originally Posted by Henus (Post 1414687)
In July 2018 at around 33,000 km I checked the Dipstick it was at half quart. I topped it up with all the quart.
In August at around 34, 000 km I checked it again and it went back to that same position (Half Quart) also topped it up with all the quart.

Overfilling the oil is not good.
The engine may simply expel the excess oil leading you to assume there's a problem when in fact there is not, but at the same time overfilling it may be creating a new problem;

Overfilling can cause leakage, and overfilling can cause loss of oil pressure.

spike55_bmw 11-03-2018 06:50 AM

Matt & Henus, is your engine oil still disappearing?

Henus 11-19-2018 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw (Post 1416456)
Matt & Henus, is your engine oil still disappearing?

yes it is.

spike55_bmw 11-20-2018 06:09 AM

Very odd that there's no sort of evidence that the oil is either leaking out of the engine, being pushed into the intake, or pushed into the combustion chambers and burned.

Henus 11-21-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw (Post 1417645)
Very odd that there's no sort of evidence that the oil is either leaking out of the engine, being pushed into the intake, or pushed into the combustion chambers and burned.

no there is none.