2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Oil pan

So I went to the dealership today to get an oil change they come back and tell me that the drain plug won’t come out because the threads on the oil pan are stripped out which I think happened because of one of there damn guys tried to use an impact so then they say it’s gonna be 800 bucks to get a new oil pan install so I left cause that’s ridiculous so my question is since I have a manual transmission do I specifically need to get a new oil pan for a manual or does that not matter an responses help really could use it

Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Can they really not remove the oil plug? Sounds suspect to me. I'll bet you're right that they cranked it on with an impact gun.

If you can get the plug out, you might want to then insert a permanent drain valve like these at EZ Oil Drain Valve- The Easiest Oil Change! - Home or seek a Fumoto valve.

It's not a proper repair per se, but if you epoxy the drain valve in place (to prevent leaks around the damaged threads), you'll be good to go for far less money and hassle. Worth a shot maybe.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Wait, were they the last ones to put the plug in? Then they stripped it and they're responsible, right?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
That sucks! Sorry for your troubles.

Use a Site like hondapartsnow.com to see which models have oil pans that will fit your car. You can change years and transmissions and check the part numbers.

For reference, the pan for our GD is around $200 new.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
1) Get new oil pan, oil pan gasket and new oil drain bolt.

2) Remove old oil drain bolt and assess. If the oil pan threads are a mess, replace oil pan.

If you do #2 before you do #1 and it turns out that you need to do the replacement, the car will be unusable until you get the new parts. If you do #1 before you do #2 and it turns out that you do not have to do the replacement, you will have a nice, new Fit oil pan to leave to your children in your will.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Wait, were they the last ones to put the plug in? Then they stripped it and they're responsible, right?
+1

I think you need to speak with that Honda dealership manager about this situation because they need to fix their mistake, especially if that's the place you get your oil changes done.

I went thru a similar experience with my previous car ('98 Intrepid). Since it was very old and high mileage, I only took it to cheap quick oil change places. They stripped the oil drain plug using impact drills. In my case the plug could be taken out, but couldn't be properly tightened so it slowly leaked oil ALL THE TIME. Between the oil burning (blue smoke) and the dripping, I'd add a full quart every 3 weeks.

Because of that whole mess, when I got my Fit I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, got a pair of Rhino ramps, drain pan & filter wrench and I've been doing my own oil changes. This way I am assured the job is always done right and with high quality products. My preference right now is Pennzoil Ultra 0W20 (gas to liquid full synthetic oil) + Mobil 1 filter.

All mechanics and dealers are using whatever oil & filters can be obtained for the lowest possible cost, since oil changes aren't profitable. Also because they usually use the rookies for oil changes, you're more likely to get some stupid kid doing a sloppy job like forgetting to change the filter too, not changing the crush washer, stripping the drain plug, not adding enough or adding too much oil, wrong grade oil, etc.
There's been many cases where oil change places will put 5W30 conventional even though people pay the premium and ask for 0W20 Synth.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 05-18-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Yeah, you'd think that dealers would know better... I just changed my oil for the first time; the dealer did the first oil change.

I took out 4 quarts of oil. 3 1/2 filled it to the full line on the dipstick.

Stupid that the dealer, assuming they used the right oil, wasted a couple of bucks by putting in extra oil. That can add up, given how many oil changes they do.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you'd think that dealers would know better... I just changed my oil for the first time; the dealer did the first oil change.

I took out 4 quarts of oil. 3 1/2 filled it to the full line on the dipstick.

Stupid that the dealer, assuming they used the right oil, wasted a couple of bucks by putting in extra oil. That can add up, given how many oil changes they do.
Search around, but I believe there have been discussions that the dipstick on the GK is not correct. One of many oops on the GK. Fill according to the owners manual.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 PM
I did- 3 1/2 quarts, which got me to the Full line on the dipstick.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
I did- 3 1/2 quarts, which got me to the Full line on the dipstick.
Good to hear! Thanks!

Strange that they shrank the oil capacity for the GK. Maybe trying to eek out that last possible fraction of a mpg with weight savings.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
The oil pans are different for manual vs auto.