2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn clutch? Rolling back on hill in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Worn clutch? Rolling back on hill in 1st

Hey guys,

Newish member. have a 2013 LX 5 speed. My driveway is on a decent incline and when i place it in 1st gear with the engine off, it will ever so slowly lurch backwards down the hill (I mean really slow). The car has 44,000 KM and I'm the second owner (had for around 6000KM now.

Could that clutch be quitting already?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boilup709
Hey guys,

Newish member. have a 2013 LX 5 speed. My driveway is on a decent incline and when i place it in 1st gear with the engine off, it will ever so slowly lurch backwards down the hill (I mean really slow). The car has 44,000 KM and I'm the second owner (had for around 6000KM now.

Could that clutch be quitting already?
Uh... putting it in gear doesn't "lock" the car down. It only uses the "resistance" from an off engine to keep it from moving on level or slightly sloped surface.

The thing is, the engine itself WILL MOVE if the car is "forced" to move (by manpower or gravity). When it moves fast enough with the key set to engine ON, the car will start itself (bump starting, though you put it in gear after getting it moving to make it easier). This is true for BOTH manual and automatic transmission cars.

An automatic transmission car has an actual "park" gear... which locks the transmission. Manual trans don't have anything like that. That's why, when you're on a steep enough hill, you're SUPPOSED to also engage the e-brake.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Uh... Ok man, just asking. I've driven bikes and some standard cars before and this is the first I've seen this happen, although I know how engines and manual clutches work.

A friend mentioned that it might be a worn clutch where it's not stopping it from backing up. Either way I guess it's a non-issue.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Taking offense about being told you’ve been parking incorrectly and claiming you “know” how engines work... pretty expected I guess.

I can’t recall anyone claiming any amount of confidence in parking on a slope without the e-brake in a manual transmission. Of the few incidents i have heard of when parking on a slope, it’s either some one that learned the hard way that they’re supposed to use the e-brake or had it fail.

It still boggles my mind that you claim to know how engines work and still do this.

At least now, I know to avoid Fits if I’m ever in the St. John’s area.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Who pissed in your corn flakes, man? You're the one who gave me the 'uhm...' treatment first. I mentioned I was new... Harsh, bro.

I parked and to test I let the park brake off for a second, when it started slipping back. After talking to a friend a little later, who said his truck's clutch was deemed bad after the same thing happening to him (slipping backwards while parked on a hill). I figured I'd post here to see if anyone had any input on wheter or not to bring the car into the dealership. For sure a car is heavier and will turn over the engine, now I know.

If the rest of the fit community is like you, I'm starting to regret signing up. Have a good one and believe me if i'm 'wandering around' I'll avoid you too.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boilup709
Uh... Ok man, just asking. I've driven bikes and some standard cars before and this is the first I've seen this happen, although I know how engines and manual clutches work.

Many cars (particularly Subarus) have a "hill holder" function. When you are stopped on a hill, the hill holder will grab the brakes on a hill while the clutch is pressed. As you let the clutch out, it slowly releases the brake.

I could see that if other cars you've driven have a hill holder, how it could feel really weird in the Fit. For pure simplicity, Honda didn't put anything like that in our cars. So if you press in the clutch on a hill, it will roll away (without engine resistance and/or pressing the brakes).

Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
Many cars (particularly Subarus) have a "hill holder" function. When you are stopped on a hill, the hill holder will grab the brakes on a hill while the clutch is pressed. As you let the clutch out, it slowly releases the brake.

I could see that if other cars you've driven have a hill holder, how it could feel really weird in the Fit. For pure simplicity, Honda didn't put anything like that in our cars. So if you press in the clutch on a hill, it will roll away (without engine resistance and/or pressing the brakes).
Larry, thanks man. Yep, seems like a no/low frills car; just the way I like em. Cheers.