Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   2nd battery placement? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/99268-2nd-battery-placement.html)

iAmFinatic 10-25-2018 09:50 PM

2nd battery placement?

So I have a 2013 Honda Fit with a nice little system, I had a second optima red top in my last vehicle which was a cheverolet suburban i had a over the top and honestly excessive system setup in it. I was able to get both batteries to fit under the hood as well as the big 3 airing. So I was curious to know if there was a way to do it in the 13 Fit sport. I currently have the second battery under the rear passenger seat with big 4 wiring under the hood but would like to move it to utilize the functionality of the foldable seat. Yes I know it’s a compact vehicle, yes I know insane system shouldn’t be in it, which my new setup is simple but does require some extra help so I have the second battery for extra power so it doesn’t kill the baby lawn mower battery under the hood that the fit comes with from factory. I’ve seen people upgrade the battery under the hood but I would like to know if anyone has had any success to put a second battery in the engine bay. If so please let me know 👍

fitchet 10-25-2018 10:26 PM

You might be able to duct tape a triple AAA battery somewhere...but looking at the Fits engine bay? I would have no suggestion as to where to put a secondary battery.

interestingstuff 10-26-2018 01:54 AM

First, replace that 151 "lawnmower battery" with a 51R. Do that first. Heck, I used to kill the battery with a lack of driving and just sitting in a parking lot with the stock radio on for a little bit.

By "system".. I'm assuming you mean some sort of better stereo? Large speakers in the back or something?

I haven't heard of anybody adding a second battery. Have you tried searching the forums here?

I can't envision something myself. Really not much room there if you want to take advantage of all cargo space. Plus, batteries need ventilation. Maybe the upgraded battery an mounting some solar to the roof to continuously boost the battery during the day?

GAFIT 10-26-2018 08:36 AM

Instead of a second battery you could take the alternator to an alternator shop and have it rewound for more amps. Should be all you need as long as you don't plan on running the stereo with the car off and will not add weight.

Secondary batteries, capacitors, etc are only needed if your alternator is unable to keep up with the demand.

I had the alternator rewound to put out 190 amps in a Sentra specV that had a JL 1000/1 and 450/4. Worked just fine with no light dimming or fade.

dwtaylorpdx 10-27-2018 09:36 PM

Odyssey Batteries, they are about 25% the size of a standard lead acid, they make some 1200AH batteries that should fit in the battery tray, they have a couple that 2 or 3 will fit. ODYSSEY Batteries - Extreme series Just remember though no matter what battery you install the car has an alternator for a scooter.. Its low power and won't recover the big batteries without time..

Dont underestimate them based on their size, I've started a small block chevy with their PC680, engine had 14.5 to one compression.. and a high torque starter..

Yes they are EXPENSiVE

Zero Gravity batteries might be your other option, Lithium Ion,, again $$$

iAmFinatic 10-28-2018 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by interestingstuff (Post 1416056)
First, replace that 151 "lawnmower battery" with a 51R. Do that first. Heck, I used to kill the battery with a lack of driving and just sitting in a parking lot with the stock radio on for a little bit.

By "system".. I'm assuming you mean some sort of better stereo? Large speakers in the back or something?

I haven't heard of anybody adding a second battery. Have you tried searching the forums here?

I can't envision something myself. Really not much room there if you want to take advantage of all cargo space. Plus, batteries need ventilation. Maybe the upgraded battery an mounting some solar to the roof to continuously boost the battery during the day?

yea it’s 2 subs in a single enclosures, just until I do the false floor for the sub to make even more space in the rear. But do you think the optimal battery will fit where the factory one is? I might have to compare the height and width measurements of the 51r to the optima to determine that if nobody has yet

iAmFinatic 10-28-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GAFIT (Post 1416061)
Instead of a second battery you could take the alternator to an alternator shop and have it rewound for more amps. Should be all you need as long as you don't plan on running the stereo with the car off and will not add weight.

Secondary batteries, capacitors, etc are only needed if your alternator is unable to keep up with the demand.

I had the alternator rewound to put out 190 amps in a Sentra specV that had a JL 1000/1 and 450/4. Worked just fine with no light dimming or fade.

i had a powerbastard 250 amp for the suburban. I just didn’t know if they had ones already made for fits, but I will def look into it for the fit, cause I would like to get some room in the cargo area since we are limited. Reason I want to do a false floor for the subwoofer.

GAFIT 10-28-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by iAmFinatic (Post 1416157)

i had a powerbastard 250 amp for the suburban. I just didn’t know if they had ones already made for fits, but I will def look into it for the fit, cause I would like to get some room in the cargo area since we are limited. Reason I want to do a false floor for the subwoofer.

Your best bet is to call a few alternator shops in your area. Any alternator can be rewound to provide more amps.

Like I said, I just took mine to a local store and had it rebuilt. Worked great and didn't break the bank.

I see Power Bastards does have one for the Fit if you go that route. I have a PowerMaster alternator on my Mustang to help keep up with the fuel pump and ignition system demands. Also have an Optima in that one, but none of it's for stereo in that car. Just need to feed two big fuel pumps and high output ignition system.

dwtaylorpdx 10-29-2018 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by iAmFinatic (Post 1416156)

yea it’s 2 subs in a single enclosures, just until I do the false floor for the sub to make even more space in the rear. But do you think the optimal battery will fit where the factory one is? I might have to compare the height and width measurements of the 51r to the optima to determine that if nobody has yet

I've used Optima's yet to have any good luck with them, they HATE full discharge, even their deep cycle ones. And based on size,, they don't have any more capacity than a AGM.

BMW ALPINA 11-17-2018 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by iAmFinatic (Post 1416051)
So I have a 2013 Honda Fit with a nice little system, I had a second optima red top in my last vehicle which was a cheverolet suburban i had a over the top and honestly excessive system setup in it. I was able to get both batteries to fit under the hood as well as the big 3 airing. So I was curious to know if there was a way to do it in the 13 Fit sport. I currently have the second battery under the rear passenger seat with big 4 wiring under the hood but would like to move it to utilize the functionality of the foldable seat. Yes I know it’s a compact vehicle, yes I know insane system shouldn’t be in it, which my new setup is simple but does require some extra help so I have the second battery for extra power so it doesn’t kill the baby lawn mower battery under the hood that the fit comes with from factory. I’ve seen people upgrade the battery under the hood but I would like to know if anyone has had any success to put a second battery in the engine bay. If so please let me know 👍

I relocate the battery to my trunk:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...8&postcount=47

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...ccaded29d3.jpg

blood dog 11-17-2018 04:36 AM

I'm impressed with going from Suburban to Fit, that's a major theme change!!!!!

Davis2001r6 11-19-2018 02:46 PM

Yank the spare tire out and one could fit down there in a battery box. Need to research the venting requirement though. I thought I've read AGM batteries do not require venting. Also would need to run a system like this to charge it. I'm going to be doing something similar to power a fridge for the Mongol Rally.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...e6bc13606e.jpg

iAmFinatic 01-01-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by blood dog (Post 1417472)
I'm impressed with going from Suburban to Fit, that's a major theme change!!!!!

been in my Honda for almost a year now and I’m still transitioning 😂 haha