2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows Fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Windows Fogging up

just wondering.....

Anyone experiencing window fogging up with their FITS.

Haven't yet put a thousand miles on this 2009 with approximately 100k on her.

Strange, Windows will fog up really easy in the car....

I have been checking the coolant level. It has not changed a bit. (It is full and the reservoir at the same level)

THanks! J

Old 12-11-2018, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Are you using recirc or getting fresh air?

Also check if you have any moisture problems in the trunk area. Higher moisture inside can cause windows fogging.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Aye! thanks for the reply.....

I looked about... and yeah, Said something about using RECIRC on defrost.... (BAD IDEA)
SO I went a checked AND yes, Vehicle was on RECIRC.....
So I switched it off.... I will have to see if it improves....
ALSO I read something about SOme kind of Rain X product that exists for helping with fogging on inside windows...
This info is here on the forum (thread starter - Captain Howdy Title:::"Excessive interior window fogging")

I will post at some point to say that it has improved or If it is completely resolved
Thanks, J

Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Check and make sure your ac is working if it’s not it becomes very hard to Defog the glass. Also check the floor for the back seat for moisture you may have to re seal your rear door panels

Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Windows fogging up is just kind of a natural truth. It's going to happen.
But using the fresh air intake, AC on, and my experience is the Fit windows defog, about as rapidly as you would expect any windows to defog.

The only "trick" I actually have too much faith in?
It helps if the inside of your windows are clean. Any dirt helps trap moisture, so the cleaner the inside of your windows the more resistant to fogging up they will be, and IMO the quicker they will defrost. Or in short, cleaner windows clear faster.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by cutsheal5
Check and make sure your ac is working if it’s not it becomes very hard to Defog the glass. Also check the floor for the back seat for moisture you may have to re seal your rear door panels
cutsheal5:::: I have to ask.... Can you provide details regarding "seal your rear door panels" ??? Thanks!

Thanks! J

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Windows fogging up is just kind of a natural truth. It's going to happen.
But using the fresh air intake, AC on, and my experience is the Fit windows defog, about as rapidly as you would expect any windows to defog.

The only "trick" I actually have too much faith in?
It helps if the inside of your windows are clean. Any dirt helps trap moisture, so the cleaner the inside of your windows the more resistant to fogging up they will be, and IMO the quicker they will defrost. Or in short, cleaner windows clear faster.
fitchet ;;;; yeah I will clean the windows real good ASAP.....
I switched the VENT on the AC section(this is 2009 Fit) from the circ ICON over to the right which seemed to signify(that is would go out the back) IS that all I need to do?
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY : AC ON
THanks! J

Old 12-11-2018, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Air Conditioner ON.
The prevailing wisdom is that the AC dehumidifies the air, which is removing moisture. Hence quicker defogging.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Well, Yeah.... Air is having moisture removed.

I can see throwing it on for a moment. but, in the the next moment (after it is turned off) my windows will be fogged again....
It happens that fast.... "like poof! somebody threw a snow ball at you".........

Thanks, for the info....... I haven't driven yet with the recirc off...... and I gotta get the windows cleaner...... and I will get some of that rain-x for the inside of the windows....
and see if it is remediated.
Will post the results....
J

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I think your HVAC system is set in recirculation mode. Mine did the same thing when there was a mouse nest blocking the recirc / fresh air door and it was stuck on recirc. It would throw the heat and all but as soon as the windows were closed, they all fogged up (Dec weather, so cold). As soon as I cracked a window, the fog would dissipate.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justus
Well, Yeah.... Air is having moisture removed.
It's a little more than just "Air". The AC works in part by passing air through a condenser and evaporator which actually removes moisture from the air. This is why in the summer, you get those puddles of water under your car after using your AC.
In the winter, the dryer air, while still warmed makes your defroster more efficient.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 AM
Yeah, Air...... better to have written AC rather than air.... Taking literal sense of Air(meaning air rather than AC)
Apologies! Thanks for restating to show clarity.........

Drove with recirc / non recirc lever towards non recirc... It did not fog up.......

Did this all day pretty much... no fogging...
Haven't cleaned windows yet... but will... and put the special sauce on the windows too(rain-x)

Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Make sure it's the RainX for anti-fog meant for the inside of the car. Regular RainX is made for the outside of the windshield to repel rain.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Anti-Fog..... thanks!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Never let any Rain-X spray or on a cleaning rag on the inside of your windows. You'll never get it off and you'll see streaks forever.

Seems like you're stuck in recirculation mode. I'd put all of my efforts into fixing that rather than using a band-aid anti-fog.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:23 PM
SPK55,

What where the steps to ascertain ... (like in your case) You mentioned having to clear the nest and debris from the duct work....

How did you go about it...... The steps to get into the duct work, clean it out and put it back together

Thanks, J

Old 12-15-2018, 06:42 AM
I had a 2014 focus that had a real fog problem. Brand new... Started using rainx on the inside and was never an issue again.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justus
SPK55, What where the steps to ascertain ... (like in your case) You mentioned having to clear the nest and debris from the duct work.... How did you go about it...... The steps to get into the duct work, clean it out and put it back together Thanks, J
Open the glove box, push in the gussets (?) (top edges of the the glove box where the stops are) and it will fold all the way down. That exposes the area where the cabin air filter (CAF) resides. You'll see an approx 2" high / 7"-8" lid with tabs at each end. Those need bent a little bit towards the center of the lid and then the lid should release and you'll slide it out. That lid is attached to a tray that holds the CAF. If you feel resistance while sliding it out, you probably have a pile of stuff (leaves / mouse nest) on top. You just have to move back-n-forth to get it out. Once out you can inspect the CAF and replace if necessary. You should reach in the slot for the CAF (FAN NOT RUNNING) to make sure nothing in on the fan blades. The worst situation would be if the previous owner took out the CAF and never replaced it. Take would allow junk to travel throughout you duct work.

Again, if the previous owner went "naked" (no CAF), then you might have leaves or something swirling around in the fan blades making those noises. Good luck
I noticed my problem when I left my slide switch set at "recirculate" during a warm spell when I was using the A/C. I switched vehicles for a while and then jumped back in the FIT, noticed the window fogging, but the slide switch would jam 50% on the way back to the "fresh air" setting. The stuff on top of the filter stopped some "door" in there attached to the recirc / fresh air slide switch. Once cleaned out, all worked well.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 PM
So like you nest was on top of the CAF?

Yeah, mine was pretty clean... I put it back in...... I wonder if it is causing a rattle when air is sucked through it, what do you think?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Only you would know if it is making the noise you hear.

When you had that all opened up, did you exercise the fresh air / recirc lever and did you hear the door inside the unit snap open / shut?

Quick Reply: Windows Fogging up