Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Car acting weird when trying to start engine. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/99662-car-acting-weird-when-trying-start-engine.html)

usert_l 12-25-2018 07:01 PM

Car acting weird when trying to start engine.

So today I tried to start my Fit and it didn't want to run for some weird reason. The very first try I think the engine did run for maybe a second then shuts off. I tried again maybe a couple more times. I could hear the starter motor cranking steadily but rpm gauge didn't go past maybe 200 rpm. There was no typical click click noise if the battery was actually weak or low and I was even able to start the car yesterday without any hiccup to move it out of the driveway. I decided to try jumper cables anyway cause I can't think of anything else. Nothing changes. I took jumper cables off then tried it again, this time holding the key on for longer. For maybe 3-4 seconds the rpm hovers around 200 while the starter motor is cranking. After that it steadily climbs up to around 1600 rpm when the engine starts running on its own. The weather temperature around here has been about 60F so it's not like it's been really cold outside. Maybe the engine started dry without any oil? I don't know how that would explain why it seemed to start yesterday fine. I checked oil level afterward and it's normal. I thought maybe something is wrong with my oil filter but I've been running this oil filter for a while and oil is still new with 80% oil life left (I do my own oil change and replace filter at same time). I've driven this car since it was brand new and this is the first time it behaved like this. It's not a problem for now for me unless it repeats again but I can't think of a reason why it would do this in the first place.

justus 12-25-2018 08:02 PM

More details about the vechicle would be appreciated...

What year is the car?

How many miles are on the car?

You moved the car out of driveway? (it ran ok then?)

Have you been following with the servicing of the vehicle?

What is the most recent servicing that has been performed?

Did you do it? etc. etc. etc.

usert_l 12-25-2018 09:07 PM

This is a 2013 automatic base model. Has about 63,000 miles. It started yesterday fine I moved it just a short distance and let it idle for a little bit before shutting off. I've done all oil changes myself with full synthetic oil. Last oil change I used a Purolator L14610 oil filter.

justus 12-25-2018 09:11 PM

So engine Cranks over at about 200 rpm(via starter)

But, doesn't show signs of firing??? Just cranks(spins) and cranks and cranks?????

usert_l 12-25-2018 09:20 PM

I don't really know if it was also firing while cranking at the low rpm. What would be some signs of firing?

Update: I've been thinking some more about this and I think that the engine was starved of fuel while it was cranking for some reason. At the time it had more than half a tank of gas. But I remembered that after I moved the car from the driveway, I did jack the car up on one side while working on it. Maybe while it's tilted to one side that somehow created some sort of air trap in the fuel line. At least I hope it's something like that and not really a serious problem. I drove it today and it started just fine.

Steve244 12-29-2018 02:25 PM

Moving it a short distance is the problem. Not allowing it to warm up for at least a minute, the inside of the cylinders remain cold enough for fuel to condense, especially on the spark plugs. This prevents spark.

In other words, you flooded it. Don't worry, you didn't hurt it.

Holding the pedal to the floor and cranking the engine will clear this (check your manual, Starting the Engine).

If you move the car let it run for a minute before shutting it off. No you don't need to warm-up before driving off.