Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Rear Drivers Side Window Won't Go Down! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/99691-rear-drivers-side-window-wont-go-down.html)

honda_fit_2009 12-31-2018 08:45 PM

Rear Drivers Side Window Won't Go Down!

Looking for guidance, if anyone has ever run into this before, so I don't have to guess. My rear window on the drivers side does not go down. It has worked ever since I had the car but today I realized it stopped working when my kid asked me to roll it down. All the other windows work. Am I looking at a bad switch? Window regulator in that door? Something else? Thanks in advance!

honda_fit_2009 12-31-2018 08:55 PM

I just went out again to troubleshoot. I used the button on the actual door and after holding it down for a second it started working. It then started working from the front again..so not sure. Since its just the 1 window I can only assume it's the regulator motor going bad.

Black3sr 01-01-2019 05:57 AM

It may just have been stuck on the rubber seal as well if it had not been down in awhile. I find mine tend to do this. There will be a bit of hesitation before it breaks loose from the rubber. I would not worry about it.

2012FitFan 01-01-2019 09:34 AM

I just had this happen on my 2012 rear passenger-side window.

My wife, out of the blue, held down the rear window button on the driver’s seat controls for 20 seconds—then pressed it again and it started working!? Maybe just coincidence, because we tried for a couple of days just pressing it at the main panel and at the rear door and it wouldn’t go down. Never held the button down, like she did this time.

I know it was getting juice, because I turned the map light on and when trying to put it down—the light would pulsate. Reading @Black3sr post, I think it may have been stuck like he mentioned. We really don’t use that window much.

I called Honda here and they wanted $168 labor and $448.00 for the window mechanism/regulator. The parts guy said they sell it as a unit only. I did find local mechanics that would do it for $370-$400, with an aftermarket part. We weren’t going to pay the Honda repair price for sure. :eek3: We were preparing to leave it in the up position.

Steve244 01-01-2019 09:36 AM

Coincidentally, I was chatting to someone else about this same issue on a 2012. Looking for regulators we found these (this link is for the psgr side and is for 2 regulators): fleabay

His started to work again after a similar "hold it down" episode. Might be a bad spot on the motor armature or a tooth missing on a gear. Or just sticky. Some silicone spray might help and it's non-greasy.

2012FitFan 01-01-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1420486)
Coincidentally, I was chatting to someone else about this same issue on a 2012. Looking for regulators we found these (this link is for the psgr side and is for 2 regulators): fleabay

His started to work again after a similar "hold it down" episode. Might be a bad spot on the motor armature or a tooth missing on a gear. Or just sticky. Some silicone spray might help and it's non-greasy.

Hi Steve,

Where would you spray the silicone? Something like WD-40 or another brand?

Thanks.

2012FitFan 01-01-2019 09:44 AM

I just found this post about using shin-etsu grease on the rubber seals.

This post says it’s what Honda uses, that silicone can harm the rubber?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ml#post1088073

Steve244 01-01-2019 09:51 AM

Shin-etsu is silicone. Petroleum based lubricants can damage rubber.

I wouldn't use WD-40 (it has a lot of stuff in it), I'd get some silicone spray. I use 3M brand on door seals, window guides, suspension bushings, etc.
Just spray it lightly on the weather seal/window guide.

2012FitFan 01-01-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Steve244 (Post 1420489)
Shin-etsu is silicone. Petroleum based lubricants can damage rubber.

I wouldn't use WD-40 (it has a lot of stuff in it), I'd get some silicone spray. I use 3M brand on door seals, window guides, suspension bushings, etc. 3M Wet type silicone spray.

Just spray it lightly on the weather seal/window guide.

Awesome! Thank you my friend!

honda_fit_2009 01-01-2019 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2012FitFan (Post 1420485)
I called Honda here and they wanted $168 labor and $448.00 for the window mechanism/regulator.

So over $600 to replace a window regulator LOL. I would never personally take any of my cars to a dealership unless it was under warranty. They always break clips or lose parts, and charge absurd prices. Replacing a window regulator isn't that difficult even for an average joe with no mechanic experience. Since it's working fine now I'm going to roll with the sticky rubber seal theory and not do anything yet. Thanks for everyone's help!

2012FitFan 01-01-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by honda_fit_2009 (Post 1420493)
So over $600 to replace a window regulator LOL. I would never personally take any of my cars to a dealership unless it was under warranty. They always break clips or lose parts, and charge absurd prices. Replacing a window regulator isn't that difficult even for an average joe with no mechanic experience. Since it's working fine now I'm going to roll with the sticky rubber seal theory and not do anything yet. Thanks for everyone's help!

Yes, I almost fell out of my chair. Unfortunately, I now live in a condo environment. No garage and barely have time for anything. If I had to do it, would have gone with local mechanic (much cheaper). No need now, but when I have time will spray down the seals with what Steve recommended.

Before it started working again, Wife told me best fix was don’t use it. That’s what I was going to do. :D

Pyts 01-04-2019 12:07 PM

Heads up

Can get the full assy via rockauto on the cheap, without any ebay worries (~80 shipping included)
​​​​considering doing mine because the driver's window shakes a little between full up and full down.
took the door trim off yesterday, and the vapor barrier (thats the only unpleasant part cuz you want to keep it nice.) It appeared to me that the issue was the little white plastic chingaderas bolted to the glass. Runs along a thin vertical strip.. ah hell i cant explain for sh1t. The plastic guide/glass mount is worn where it slides on the metal. I could certainly see that causing the window to get stuck.

itd be an unpleasant job to rush because itd result in scratches, broken clips and a stretched out vapor barrier, however i reckon it could be done by the average joseph. Could prolly minimize the problems and keep the job time under 2 hours if a good write up were available.

Black3sr 01-04-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pyts (Post 1420641)
Can get the full assy via rockauto on the cheap, without any ebay worries (~80 shipping included)
​​​​considering doing mine because the driver's window shakes a little between full up and full down.
took the door trim off yesterday, and the vapor barrier (thats the only unpleasant part cuz you want to keep it nice.) It appeared to me that the issue was the little white plastic chingaderas bolted to the glass. Runs along a thin vertical strip.. ah hell i cant explain for sh1t. The plastic guide/glass mount is worn where it slides on the metal. I could certainly see that causing the window to get stuck.

itd be an unpleasant job to rush because itd result in scratches, broken clips and a stretched out vapor barrier, however i reckon it could be done by the average joseph. Could prolly minimize the problems and keep the job time under 2 hours if a good write up were available.

>>>> Don't bother trying this. They all shake when part way down. Just the way they were designed and built.

Pyts 01-04-2019 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Black3sr (Post 1420649)
>>>> Don't bother trying this. They all shake when part way down. Just the way they were designed and built.

i'm with you on the flawed design. Having the whole window moving up and down on that thin rail. I mean, all I could think of is increasing the size of that guide, tightening the grip of the rubber channels or replacing that trim, but its 100 through honda just for the rubber. It was actually my first consideration.
thing is, when I bought the car that windows didnt vibrate. I cant get my highschool sweetheart back in the sheets, but I can make a window sit proper.
You by chance familiar with that white plastic in regards to its type? I've learned quite recently that you can mold ABS using nothing but a soldering gun, and it works wonderfully. Perhaps the same idea could be used here.

Black3sr 01-04-2019 05:01 PM

No, sorry no idea what it is. I am just going to live with mine. Been almost 10 years so can't get too excited about it.