Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Noises everywhere (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/99717-noises-everywhere.html)

Pyts 01-05-2019 05:46 PM

Noises everywhere

Car makes a thumping noise coming from the rear end when braking in reverse or coming off of brakes to roll in reverse.
just knocked out front struts, rear shocks (couldnt torque the top nut on the rear shocks). Checked and cleaned the right drum break, was too lazy to check the left. Parking brake clicks less than 7 when engaging, so that part is in spec.
Shes a manual base with 65k miles on her.
all the surrounding rubber looks good.
ideas?
yes, I'm serious.

SiXiam 01-05-2019 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pyts (Post 1420702)
...was too lazy to check the left.

You got some work to do ;)

Pyts 01-05-2019 09:57 PM

Hah! Left drum brake. First thing tomorrow! This is the first time i've ever had to deal with drum brakes. They. Do. Nothing.
any common issues with em, or the P brake?

SiXiam 01-05-2019 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pyts (Post 1420719)
Hah! Left drum brake. First thing tomorrow! This is the first time i've ever had to deal with drum brakes. They. Do. Nothing.
any common issues with em, or the P brake?

I personally hate them. Much more of a pain to fix than disc brakes. As you say most of the braking is done up front anyway.
Always had trouble getting the drum off. The back off never seems to work as it should (speaking of other cars I've owned).
I haven't touched the brakes on my Fit yet. Next year I want to change it all. Front discs, rotors, rear drums and brakes.

Steve244 01-06-2019 11:09 AM

Make sure you didn't leave a wrench hanging from the shock... (sorry, I got nottin').

The rear brakes on mine have been trouble free, but I suspect something in the auto adjust mechanism has come loose on yours.

sultanofslide 01-08-2019 12:33 AM

Clip your rear seatbelts in and see of it still happens, sometimes the buckles hit the plastics and make that noise in my car when braking or leaving a driveway ect...

Pyts 01-08-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sultanofslide (Post 1420856)
Clip your rear seatbelts in and see of it still happens, sometimes the buckles hit the plastics and make that noise in my car when braking or leaving a driveway ect...

its definitely coming from suspension, brakes or somethin, but I still like that suggestion and intend to check it out. This car got loud quick following the strut failures. I think beating it over bumps with a 205/50 tire on there jostled the hell out of the dash and an array of other things. must have lost my mind cuz i thought it was a combo of alignment and the tires approaching the end of their tread life that made it handle so awful. Never ran high performance summers before. So! I'll fasten the rear belts and figure out how to best secure the rear seat backrests from moving about too. Hell, even if you leave the head rests extended with no weight on them they wobble too. That will at least eliminate distractions Steve, I appreciate the advice man. these days havin someone just say check again is helpful. I think you're in the ballpark with the parking brake idea. Took my little blue wagon to evans to have em check out the suspension and what not yesterday. it was one of their guys that caught the struts for me when i was scratchin my head bald. they thought everything was on point. Cant hold it against them for $30.00. I'll pop open the manual and further investigate the parking brake set up to make sure I dont miss anything when theres time enough. I'll keep you gents posted
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...53f7c78257.jpg

evilchargerfan 01-08-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pyts (Post 1420702)
rear shocks (couldnt torque the top nut on the rear shocks).

can you re visit this, and try to torque down that top nut?

Pyts 01-08-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by evilchargerfan (Post 1420912)
can you re visit this, and try to torque down that top nut?

id love to, but I'd need a 14mm 3/8 drive .. we always called em crows feet on base, but the same nickname is used for some nail pullers and short pry bars. Stupid open ended wrench head that attatches to a ratchet.
I've seen em at local auto parts stores, but not in metric sizes. stopped picking tools up from those places anyways after breaking a few "gearhead" wrenches, not to mention rounding a bolt or two due to their sloppy fitment. Big box stores here lean toward carrying standard sizes when it comes to specialty tools, if they have em​​​​​​.

i'll see if I can find em online. Perhaps getting that 33ftlbs or whatever it was will change things.

evilchargerfan 01-09-2019 12:21 PM

I work in SD, if you're close to La Jolla, I can bring my impact gun with me to work with a 14mm and we can zap it real quick

I also have a set of ratcheting wrenches I left at my moms house is Scripps Ranch as well, I believe that could be usable/useful

FitG8Guy 01-09-2019 01:23 PM

I would agree to make sure that top nut is tight...if it's any bit loose, it does cause noise.

Pyts 01-09-2019 07:59 PM

Oh its tight :rolleyes:
just probably past spec. rounded the top part of the allen key hole getting a little too enthusiastic.
hate those kinds of designs. Would be so much nicer if they put a hex at the top of the stud instead of a key hole. Even a square to use a crescent on. Only other car ive done struts on was an 04 mustang, and instead of an allen key, it wanted a freaking flat head. Spent forever on that one trying to torque it to over 20 ftlbs with nothin but a screwdriver to stop the spin. Neighbor lent me a flat head shank that was recessed in a round socket similar to those sleeves that hole screws on drill bits. Kept it from slipping out, but i bent the hell out of the head. It had to go in the vice before I could give it back with a sh1t eating grin and an apology.

i appreciate the impact offer, and I'm actually near by, live up in escondido, but I stick to hand tools.

i ordered a single matco crow foot for it off ebay. Be here in a little bit

Dallasdave 01-10-2019 09:20 PM

Hey I put new shocks on the rear of mine and I also got noise similar to that. I thought it was the top nut also but it was the bottom one. I torqued it down and noise go bye bye

Pyts 01-11-2019 04:36 AM

You mean the large bolts you're supposed to replace, the ones with the pointed tips?
i noticed mine were just slightly curved, picked up replacements from honda.
ive been going through the back end of the car, interior and exterior and I think this'll do the trick. Can verify tomorrow and close this mess with a quick summary.

Dallasdave 01-11-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pyts (Post 1421112)
You mean the large bolts you're supposed to replace, the ones with the pointed tips?
i noticed mine were just slightly curved, picked up replacements from honda.
ive been going through the back end of the car, interior and exterior and I think this'll do the trick. Can verify tomorrow and close this mess with a quick summary.

Yes, those.

Fiting 01-13-2019 02:29 PM

Prior owner 2011 Fit Sport had to replace failing shock around 40k so bad shock is a possibility.

Check spare tire is screwed tightly into housing. Check that jack is not flopping around (ours was and I don't know if/how it was secured from factory.

On a different brand hatchback, the liftgate latch was a bit sloppy. There were adjustments for the latch & some adjustable rubber bumpers on that car to make sure hatch did not rattle.

Pyts 01-13-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fiting (Post 1421267)
Prior owner 2011 Fit Sport had to replace failing shock around 40k so bad shock is a possibility.

Check spare tire is screwed tightly into housing. Check that jack is not flopping around (ours was and I don't know if/how it was secured from factory.

On a different brand hatchback, the liftgate latch was a bit sloppy. There were adjustments for the latch & some adjustable rubber bumpers on that car to make sure hatch did not rattle.

sick, man thankyou. I'll check out both of those just to be 100%. I still havent had time to replace those shock bolts.

its craaaazy how early those shocks gave out. For so long i thought it was my shifting that made the car lurch out of a stop. Im hoping the KYB's I put in will hold out longer.

​​​​​what vic did you transition to?

Fiting 01-13-2019 09:29 PM

Good luck.

Original owner replaced with factory shocks at dealer.

Pyts 01-15-2019 11:19 PM

All done, I'll verify if its truly noise free tomorrow. The step I may have missed could have been raising the car off the jack stands to fully compress the springs to torque. (Also new lower bolts) keep em up to torque the top nut too. Heres the foot needed. 10 bucks off of ebay, im sure itll have other applications down the road
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...95e9f9daad.jpg

Pyts 01-18-2019 11:38 PM

Lemme lemme update yuh

Suspensions tight, back seats dropped, stupid thump still shows up when entering reverse and I wish i was deaf. Almost every noise in the car is gone. Got minor dash vibes: diagnose later, driver window vibe when its not fully up or down: caused by window motor/guide assembly wear, rear seat backrest thump: caused by upper latching mechanism play (driver's side, I'll update when I come up with a quality fix), clutch pedal squeel: caused by suppressing pedal with uneven pressure (lube)... mostly wanted to update for struts. Maybe the thump is fuel slosh, im considering it solved.