2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mounting Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:19 AM
CBX
GPS Mounting Solutions

I chose to purchase the non-navi model, since I wanted to maintain the more advanced capabilities of the Garmin I already owned.

My initial installation involved a RAM suction mount stuck to the little triangle window on the driver's side, but I later settled on the Garmin Automotive Mount. I attached it to the dash, right of the instrument cluster and left of the center AC ducts.

From my driving position, I can just see the top of the windshield wiper over it, so my view of the road is not obstructed.

I need to sort out the best routing for the wires, and perhaps wire it to an always-on circuit, instead of the switched outlet.

I am interested to see solutions others have come up with.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Interesting Display

From your GPS screen you seem to be at a high elevation where the roads are scarce and you are listening to Jimmy Buffet. Are you dreaming of a trip to Key West? I also note that your radio display is set to AUX. Are you listening from an iPod or a flash drive and how does your GPS know this? Let us know how you decide to wire it up.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
considering we only have one 12dc hook up you picked a good spot.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
CBX
Fit*Bob,

Astute observations all.

Not far from home, there is a large grove of Aspen which changes about this time of year (two miles of forest road away), and I wanted to check out the photo opportunities. I also wanted a few exterior shots of my '09 Fit to post on FitFreaks. I have been a GPS enthusiast for some time, and wanted to see what others on the forum were doing for mounting, thus the interior photos of my GPS receiver.

The radio set to Aux will play from the audio out jack on my StreetPilot 7200. I can hear voice navigation prompts, mp3 music files or audible book files on internal or SD card memory, or XM Radio when I have that receiver plugged into the Garmin.

The Aux selector is able to switch between input from the line-in, and input from the USB port (iPod or flash drive).

The display truncated the second "t" in "Buffett". Many of his songs sure make me thirsty!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi and I also place it in the same area of the dash. I use a weighted (frictional) mount because I can easily remove any trace of it from the dash to discourage thieves from breaking my window (even if they don't steal anything, that window will cost me hundreds to replace). It does have a larger footprint but fits just fine.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
CBX
Glad to hear from you.

As I experimented with various mounting solutions, I tried the friction mount in that location, but my SP7200 is just too topheavy to make that work.

The Nuvi line has been a phenominal success for Garmin, and they certainly produce a go-zillion different models to choose from.

Is yours one with audio line-out capabilities?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by CBX
Glad to hear from you.

As I experimented with various mounting solutions, I tried the friction mount in that location, but my SP7200 is just too topheavy to make that work.

The Nuvi line has been a phenominal success for Garmin, and they certainly produce a go-zillion different models to choose from.

Is yours one with audio line-out capabilities?
Yes mine is an old 360 - had it for 2 yrs now. ready to replace it w/ a new voice-controlled version (the 8xx). It has line out but I haven't used it yet. I don't like too many wires dangling down, and it's a hassle to put it in and out. I have to hide the whole thing everytime I go to New York to visit my mom. Those dam thieves kept on breaking my glass even if they didn't find anything to steal. I used to use a windshield mount and that left a permanent black rubbery residue on the glass, and those thieves are looking for any sign that there's a mount here and there. The frictional mount is the best solution to this problem so far. Still I keep my fingers crossed everytime I visit my mom. Yeah Nuvi is nice and they are getting better. if the Honda navi uses the navi software plus bluetooth I might have spitted out the extra 2k instead. After all, I hate dangling wires. Oh, the DC charger does block the cup holder somewhat.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:25 AM
CBX
That only leaves the other nine cupholders!

The Nuvi 360 is a very capable unit.

It should be able to find the fastest route out of New York City!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Wonder how the cup holder mount would do on the cup holder to the left of the steering wheel?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't have a fancy GPS just a TomTom One 3rd edition I too was looking for a place to mount it since I had my windows tinted and also a sun visor I kind of ruled that idea out since I didn't want a mark on the tint. I was then looking for other places where CBX had it was one of them but I didn't want to stick on the piece of plastic for the suction to work so I've manage to squeeze the GPS and mount into what appears to be a cubby hole right in front of the centre cup holder looks clean and I can hide the cables

Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
mine is on the driver's side triangle window. at the angle im at, it looks like it's floating.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 AM
CBX
Yes, that window does seem like it was designed specifically for mounting something on a suction cup.

Mine is not one of the "high sensitivity chipset" receivers, and I noticed there were certain conditions under which satellite reception was compromised. I figured it was caused by either the "A" pillar or the "A.5"(?) pillar rear of the triangle window.

My dash-center mounting position has dramatically reduced that problem.

On a side note, I was reading the instructions for the Fit Navi unit, and noticed the GPS antenna is mounted just beneath the dash! Any other integrated unit I had heard of has a roof-mount antenna, providing optimum reception. I wonder how this affects performance.

Post pictures, if you have them!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm... I'm not going to running a full-on gps unit, but I'd like to mount my iphone in a convenient location that'll be easily viewable, and keep it from flying around the cabin at the same time. If anyone sees a great product for that specifically, I'm sure many would like to stay apprised of it! Otherwise, Custom might be the way to go. I was thinking a cupholder mount would be great, but it'll be hard to work with my left hand (being that I'm right handed!). Though, that seems to be the best and easiest option. The center cup holders are too low to view and drive at the same time being that the screen is so small. Any other ideas?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
CBX
My phone stays turned off, in the glove box.

RAM Mounts offer many possibilities, such as this cradle you could attach to the windshield, though that might place your phone too far away.
RAM Mount Plastic Universal Small Cradle Flex Arm 3.25'' Locking Suction Cup, P/N: RAP-105-6224-UN1U - GPS City

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I don't talk on my phone while I'm driving either. I'm planning to use its gps capabilities.

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my Fit, so I can't try anything out just yet.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I have seen mounts that you can clamp onto air vents. check Amazon.com

Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 PM
CBX
Yes, I have seen those too, and they are very inexpensive. It might be worth trying with a cell phone.

There is a company called ProClip which makes quality dash brackets, some of which clamp around the outside of an AC vent. The GPS in my pictures above weighs over a pound, and I had it attached to a ProClip mount in a 328i convertible. It was quite sturdy.

ProClip Mounting System - Choose Your Country

Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Wow!! thanks again for the links guys! Looks like there are some products that will fit my needs for sure. Now all I have to do is wait for my car to arrive so I can try some of them out. I only ordered it about a week and a half ago, so hopefully, it'll come sooner that they said it might (up to 3 months!)

Old 10-22-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm using a Zumo 550 (a Garmin Motorcycle GPS) with its car mount. Once I realized that my arms were 3 feet too short to reach it on a windshield mount, I stuck it onto the little driver side window. This GPS has no other options, as much of the electronics & connectors are on the mount itself, so onto a window it must go! In any case, aside from the power and aux cables being draped across the dash, it has been a perfect place for the GPS, and allows for an obstruction-free view of the road ahead.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 AM
CBX
Are you a member on the Zumo forum?
ZumoForums
You'll find me on there as...er.. CBX.

Where is Imperial?

The Zumo 550 is an excellent unit. You probably wouldn't have it unless you also ride a bike, though. I sold a 550 a few months back, after waffling between the Zumo and a StreetPilot 2730 for the bikes.

In the end, I installed a mount for the StreetPilot 7200 on the ST1100. I just need to pack it away on the rainy day.

Can you post pictures of your install?

Quick Reply: GPS Mounting Solutions