2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Fit Headrest Haters!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Fit Headrest Haters!

The headrest is too far forward for many drivers to be comfortable. Please call Honda at 800-000-1009, option 7 and report this. Maybe something will be done.
The best solution I have seen in the blogs is too try an Accord headrest.
Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
It works just fine for me so why would I complain?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
My headrest has been removed for at least half of my 21k miles I've put on my '09. There is no comfortable position for me otherwise, so I'm forced to go with an unsafe option. I drive a lot (105 miles per day average since I bought the car), so persistent neck pain is the result of long drives with the headrest in place.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
it is an active restraint headrest. I would not remove it at all cost. You can try one of those pads that they sell to put on the seat so your body is more forward compared to the head rest.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
The headrest bothered me too at first, until I realized there was no reason to sit as upright as I was. I found that tilting the seatback backward just a LITTLE bit was enough to rectify the whole 'wtf is sticking into the back of my head' feeling that I was getting otherwise.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
My headrest has been removed for at least half of my 21k miles I've put on my '09. There is no comfortable position for me otherwise, so I'm forced to go with an unsafe option. I drive a lot (105 miles per day average since I bought the car), so persistent neck pain is the result of long drives with the headrest in place.

Removing it is a really bad idea, I hope you don't get rear ended.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
There is no such thing as a head rest in a car. It is a head restraint. It's not made for you to be lazy. It's made to save your neck in a collision. The reason the Fit's head restraint leans forward is because it is an active head restraint, which means it is even safer than older head restraints.

Wow, there is no limit to the people willing to test the darwin theory.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
You can unzip the fabric on the back of the driver's seat and carefully add more padding in the upper back region of the seat. I find that a folded cotton hand towel works well. This moves your upper back forward so that you can maintain good posture without bumping up against the headrest (you'll have to experiment to find an arrangement that works for you). This saved me from having to sell the car.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Is your head suppose to rest against the headrest when driving? Is that the correct driving position?

Because my head doesn't touch the headrest at all when I am driving

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Different people have different body shapes and postures. For my body, the GE Fit has the best head restraint design of any car I have ever owned. In normal driving position, there is about a half inch between the back of my head and the head rest. But sometimes, I feel like pushing back a little, and actually resting my head on it. Because of the way it "fits" my body, I have very little concern about whiplash injury from a rear end collision.

Although some have complained, for most people, the design seems to be just fine. If you didn't like the head restraint position, why did you buy a Fit? It's not possible to fit all bodies, but it is within an individual driver's capability to adjust things to fit, as some have suggested here. Please don't call Honda about a change that is unnecessary and undesirable for most of us.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
This thread was for headrest haters, not busy bodies with little to do but sit at the computer and hassle folks. Look, have you ever heard of compromise? Are you absolutely in love with every aspect of this car? Besides that, you don't notice everything about a car in a relatively short test drive. I did not believe they would have allowed me to drive my 140 mile daily commute before driving the car. I hope they change nothing affecting the fit of your fit. But, if they could provide a cheap and inexpensive solution or option for those of us who are made uncomfortable by the headrest, that preserved the safety of the active restraint system, it would be fantastic. Honda is an excellent company and they were very appreciative of my feedback when I called. Of course, nothing at all may ever happen.

Be sure to notice the title of this thread, Headrest Haters, if you like the headrest, keep moving, please.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna create a Headrest Hater Hater thread and name it "it's not a headrest, dork!"

the opening post will probably question the backs of some peoples' heads that are shaped like a 51 Studebaker.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Please continue.

Edit: so as not to appear unhelpful, there are two suggestions up thread. Get a pad to go behind your back, recline the seat one notch. The steering wheel telescopes so your arms should still be able to reach.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Different people have different body shapes and postures. For my body, the GE Fit has the best head restraint design of any car I have ever owned. In normal driving position, there is about a half inch between the back of my head and the head rest. But sometimes, I feel like pushing back a little, and actually resting my head on it.
That's funny. I was going to write the exact same thing but you beat me to it. But now I am told to move on so I should not even be commenting on this, evidently. Reminds me of the way we discuss politics--where nobody likes to hear a dissenting opinion.

I should make a new sig: Don't hate my headrest and don't care who knows it.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Removing it is a really bad idea, I hope you don't get rear ended.
I really hope I don't get rear-ended as well

Of course the seat isn't going to be 100% comfortable for everyone. Reclining the seat to the point where the headrest isn't completely uncomfortable puts the steering wheel at a long arm's reach for me with the wheel at full telescope, so I do the unsafe thing and pull the headrest for many of my long drives. Somehow, I think I'll still be safer in most conditions than I am when driving any other car I've had for the past 5 years (a '93 Miata, old Rabbits/mk1 Jettas, a '76 Buick). I'll ultimately replace the driver's seat completely when I find a suitable replacement.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by lnarngr
This thread was for headrest haters, not busy bodies with little to do but sit at the computer and hassle folks.
Originally Posted by lnarngr
Be sure to notice the title of this thread, Headrest Haters, if you like the headrest, keep moving, please.
Be sure to notice, this is a public forum and you have no power to decide who can and can't post in threads. I don't see any hassling, you posted in a public forum and you're going to get every single kind of opinion for and against yours.

My GE8 has over 12,400 miles now, one trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, and I have not had one problem with the headrest/comfort (I'm 6'1). Plus it looks way better than the GD bent-banana headrest. Bye.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
... I have not had one problem with the headrest/comfort (I'm 6'1)....
I'm 5'6" with short arms and legs; my wife is 5'1". I understand that others, regardless of their height, have issues, but it [the Fit] is what it is. I don't expect the sort of adjustability or comfort in a sub $20,000 car that I would in one that costs $40,000 (and will still probably have some features that that some people don't like).

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I find the headrest is good because it kinda forces you to sit properly with good posture....if anything you can move the headreset up so that your head can rest back a little more. I did that and the headrest still retains its functionality of providing support so if I get whipped back my neck doesn't snap.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Headrest hater? Au contraire. I like the GE headrests. And Selden was spot-on with the driving position - I almost never ever drive with my head on the headrest. Just doesn't feel natural. I'm 5'8" with long limbs.

If anything I'd love for a way to pinch GE rear headrests and transplant them onto my GD...they're just more compact and space-efficient

Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Headrest hater? Au contraire. I like the GE headrests.

If anything I'd love for a way to pinch GE rear headrests and transplant them onto my GD...they're just more compact and space-efficient
Yes, especially in the back. That's one of the few things I hate about my wife's car.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Going to move on shortly, but if the seats are that bad for you OP, why not look at replacing the whole seat with something more comfortable for you. From what I have seen, only 1 other person has a somewhat similar complaint and all others seem to really feel comfort with the seat and its head restraint positioning.

I only changed my seats because, well I really am not comfortable in any seat other than what I have. I like to feel encapsulated and pretty much a part of the car and not just an object inside of it. The stock seats are alright, but they do not hold you in place in any way, at least for me. My Snisen, I didn't care for those seats either and quite a few people love them, first and foremost I hate leather in a car, especially one that is a true sports car...WTF?!?! And in my 5R Teggy, the stock Recaros, they were nice, but they too just didn't have the full encapsulation feel and were HEAVY so they had to go (lost about 50~60lbs swapping to the ZetaIIIs).

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit Headrest Haters!