2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Interior Illumination Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Interior Illumination Mod

I know many people were kind of disappointed (myself included) when they found out their illumination kits weren't as bright as they thought they'd be. I place blame on the clear blue shims that are placed over the LEDs. They pretty much block most of the light...

So, here is a very easy mod to increase the amount of light that the kit emits. Assuming you already have a drill since you installed the kit yourself, all you need to do is drill a hole right through the clear blue shims that attach to the ambient lights on both driver and passenger sides. The shims are removable and have two clips on both sides. Just carefully pry it off with your finger nails:

Name:  DSC_0273.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  28.3 KB

As you can see above, the shim is removed from the ambient light... Hole is already drilled through. The largest drill bit I used was a 5/16", working my way up from smaller drill bits.

Name:  DSC_0271.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  26.9 KB

In the above pic the shim is put back on the light.

Name:  DSC_0267-1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  34.2 KB

Here it is installed on the underside of the drivers side. I must mention that this mod does not interfere with any parts of the actual installation.

Name:  DSC_0269.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  49.3 KB

Here's what it will look like flipped over.

Now for the best part:

Name:  DSC_0264-1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0266.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  48.9 KB

Unfortunately I don't have any pics before I drilled holes to compare it to this mod. But let me assure you, there is a very noticeable increase in light compared to stock installation.

Let me know what you guys think. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM
nice mod. i might have to do this, too. i find that i'm comfortable with the ambient lights off when i'm driving on long stretches of minimally lit highways but this would be pretty nice in a well lit urban setting.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
nice mod. i might have to do this, too. i find that i'm comfortable with the ambient lights off when i'm driving on long stretches of minimally lit highways but this would be pretty nice in a well lit urban setting.
I forgot to mention that during the day it's just as hard to see the lights as not being modded. So it's something you may not want to consider.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I just don't understand why they didn't tie this in with the door opening as well. But yeah, that makes me want to try that as well

Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
I always wanted to get that kit as a fun project, and something to liven up the mood on occasion, but they seemed really dark, and with no easy bulb upgrade path, so this is great!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome, just what I've been waiting for...let me make sure I get it. Do I need to take off part of the dash or can I pry the covers off the led's w/ the dash still on?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Awesome, just what I've been waiting for...let me make sure I get it. Do I need to take off part of the dash or can I pry the covers off the led's w/ the dash still on?

Thanks!
If your kit is already installed, you'll need to remove the dash (passenger and driver) to be able to get to the lights. From there you'll just unplug the wiring and remove the LEDs from the dash and then of course drill the shims and put everything back together.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Just finished doing mine. It's not perfect, but it is a huge improvement. Now the illumination is at least noticeable.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
I just don't understand why they didn't tie this in with the door opening as well. But yeah, that makes me want to try that as well
When I bought my FIT I considered getting this kit. Question is what controls it or are they on all the time. Someone was recently posting their disappointment in the light levels and this mod seems to be the answer. Might just spring for it.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
When I bought my FIT I considered getting this kit. Question is what controls it or are they on all the time. Someone was recently posting their disappointment in the light levels and this mod seems to be the answer. Might just spring for it.
The lights are tied to the cars lights. For them to come on, the switch must be on and the parking/headlights must be on.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
just did this and they dont look anything like yours, i wish they did!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good. good write up.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
I think I'm in the minority in most cases. I like DIM lighting. My dash is set as low as it can be practically as I think it is too bright. if I do a mod like the ambient lighting, I might add a piece of blue plastic wrap to make it even darker. I do have light sensitive eyes however so any extra lighting at night makes it harder for me to see. (My old stereo had a screensaver of stars shooting at night which was GREAT as that display was WAAAYY to bright at it's lowest setting.)

~SB

Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
I prefer my Oziomes(sp) tubes hooked up to dome light so only on when door is open.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
What they be?? Have a link?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Found them - now I'm lost in the sea of LED.?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
What they be?? Have a link?
Nope I do not have a link. They are like small fluorescent tubes. Actually strips like I just pout on the Hemi would work just great and no little transformer to add like these

They are here http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EWNX:IThttp://

Anyhow here is a pic you can just see part of one

Name:  007-2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  49.0 KB

Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I prefer my Oziomes(sp) tubes hooked up to dome light so only on when door is open.
Is there access to the dome light circuit from under the dash? I like the idea of "courtesy lights" that come on with the dome. Should be an easy hack to take the Honda "Ambient" lighting and make it do this with the dash switch wired to turn them on, on-demand. If there is access under the dash to the dome light circuit...

Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Is there access to the dome light circuit from under the dash? I like the idea of "courtesy lights" that come on with the dome. Should be an easy hack to take the Honda "Ambient" lighting and make it do this with the dash switch wired to turn them on, on-demand. If there is access under the dash to the dome light circuit...
Yes there is access at the fuse box. My lights work same as the dome. It is the two wires in middle green plug by themselves. The pink and blue ones.

There is a thread some were about hooking them up but sorry I cannot find it right now.

You do not need the Honda ambient to alter unless you want the dash switch.
Name:  003.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  35.6 KB

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
wait what do i need to hook this up to my dome light?

Quick Reply: Interior Illumination Mod