Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   A/T Question on 2009 (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/54380-t-question-2009-a.html)

thefit09 04-01-2010 09:27 PM

A/T Question on 2009

Temperatures have jumped up recently here in Texas, to highs in the 80's. On my way to work my transmission got hung up in 3rd gear, reving in the 4,000's and wouldn't shift on its own until I paddle shifted it up. I ride my fit pretty aggresively, and normally the transmission responds fine. Could this be because of the rise in temp and is this normal?

JJIN 04-01-2010 09:32 PM

mine never does that, even around 80's.

spreadhead 04-01-2010 10:47 PM

Did you have it in "S" or "D". That's the way "S" acts.

Texas Coyote 04-01-2010 10:58 PM

Is there a chance that it was in the paddle shift only mode for some reason and you didn't notice.... I really shouldn't even reply since I don't have an automatic Fit..... I wouldn't worry unless it occurs again and your CEL didn't light up. Since you drive it hard you might consider frequent fluid changes and a transmission cooler... It will lower the engine operating temperature also by taking some of the heat load off of the radiator...... Harbor Freight is at Bosque and 38th but you did have me in the general vicinity..... Their online prices are much better than the retail stores.

thefit09 04-02-2010 02:01 AM

I had it in regualr drive. Sometimes when I'm really beating on it, it will hang in a lower gear for a second, and then shift up with a little gas, but it didn't today. Like I said, had to use the paddle to shift it. Sorry Coyote, I guess I just remembered it wrong. Glad to hear you made it though and hope you enjoyed your time in Waco. I've been thinking about doing a trans flush, but I want to do it on my own and I haven't had time with school to make sure I do it right. I'm at 10,500 so I figured I was okay for a little while. Could it just have been the heat? I'm going to add some water wetter to the radiator tomorrow so hopefully that will help. Trans cooler is probably a little out of my price range right now. Thank you for the advice.

Texas Coyote 04-02-2010 04:48 AM

I went for a drive today and in traffic in town I was only seeing temperatures around 185 max on my Scanguage and intake air temps around 140 max in slow traffic and the supercharger and location of the intake makes it hotter than stock..... Have you noticed anything different in the way the torque converter is locking up, either slower too engage or disengage. I had problems with a vehicle not shifting into top gear and locking due to fluid that needed changing but it had like 80,000 miles on it and it began rapidly shifting back and forth between the 3rd and 4th.... changing the fluid and filter fixed it.

lilaznphatboy 04-02-2010 06:46 PM

from your pic in your sig, looks like you have a fit sport. im guessing you had it in "S" mode....but come to think of it, i do remember one time that did happen to me when it got hung up in 3rd but eventually it did shift around 5k on its own

thefit09 04-03-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by lilaznphatboy (Post 835476)
from your pic in your sig, looks like you have a fit sport. im guessing you had it in "S" mode....but come to think of it, i do remember one time that did happen to me when it got hung up in 3rd but eventually it did shift around 5k on its own

That was my first thought, but I looked down and it was in drive.

secondspassed 04-03-2010 03:09 PM

That kind of thing has happened to me in my '08 AT Fit before. Just a couple times, but it is kind of unnerving. I assumed it was some weird fluke with the computer. Perhaps it could be the tranny fluid needing to warm up a little bit or something...

Cowboy_Fit 04-18-2010 09:55 PM

I've had this happen to me as well on occasion. Only a couple times when really beating on it. I assume it is the onboard computer thinking I'll need the revs or something. I'm not too worried about it.

Airman 07-07-2010 11:18 PM

I have a 2010 Sport/auto but have never had the problem. I don't know how this transmission is set up, but doesn't this sound like the old shift modulator problem, where the trans won't shift up ? Might be the electronic version of the same thing. ECU not getting the signal or some such. I think I'd have this car in to the dealer.