Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/)
-   -   Fuel smell in cabin and engine compartment? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/60345-fuel-smell-cabin-engine-compartment.html)

runbikerun 11-01-2010 11:37 PM

Fuel smell in cabin and engine compartment?

Hey, Anybody have an issue like this?
The last week or so I have been getting a gas smell inside my 09 Fit. The one morning I had it warming up on the driveway for a few minutes and I thought maybe I just got some exhaust inside. Today I noticed it again in the driveway, at a store after about 10 mins driving and at work again after another 20 mins. I thought maybe I was losing it and had my friend check and he thought it smelled like gas too. I opened the hood after starting up the engine and definitely smelled a gas smell under the hood mainly to the left side of the engine compartment? I have't crawled underneath but I can't see any leaks yet.

phogroian 11-02-2010 11:22 AM

Never had that problem. It's under warranty- take it to the dealer. It could be a banjo bolt on a fuel line that isn't properly torqued. Let us know what it turns out to be!

Vash 11-02-2010 11:24 AM

left side meaning opposite of the break booster and the battery?

runbikerun 11-02-2010 05:59 PM

Well, what i thought was a definite fuel smell turned out to be the melting plastic bag issue. It turns out that I just had a bag stuck to and melting on the exhaust. I read about that possibility on other posts but never imagined it could smell like fuel. Anyhow, you have to love the cheap/easy fix.

ThEvil0nE 11-03-2010 01:26 AM

LOL@ cheap/easy fix

goodluck scraping that schit out... bahhh just let it melt LOL

runbikerun 12-07-2010 02:41 PM

The smell is still around. I crawled under the car and I can see where there was a melted bag but I don't think there is enough left to smell. The odor only seems to be in the cabin right after a cold start which leads me to think that something is leaking until it warms up. Seems to be an exhaust type smell. When I restart the engine after I have been driving I don't seem to smell it? Any ideas of where I should look?

weeladdie 12-07-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by runbikerun (Post 928456)
Well, what i thought was a definite fuel smell turned out to be the melting plastic bag issue. It turns out that I just had a bag stuck to and melting on the exhaust. I read about that possibility on other posts but never imagined it could smell like fuel. Anyhow, you have to love the cheap/easy fix.

The plastic bag is a petroleum product too! It's no wonder it smells like gas...

CrystalFiveMT 12-07-2010 03:53 PM

I've experienced a burning clutch-like smell two times recently upon starting the car from being parked overnight. I hope it's nothing serious and that's the last I smell of it.

hans471 01-30-2013 12:26 PM

We have this problem on our '07 Fit. Wife reported it first and I didn't think much of it. Now I am noticing it more and more. I need to take a look at the body vents which might let exhaust in sitting but its the fuel vapor smell that concerns me. The canister should be taking care of that however.

I will let you know if I can nail it down.

MTLian 01-30-2013 01:45 PM

I've had that problem only once and it was after filling my gas tank to absolute maximum. I was at the gas station filling up, and I pressed on the nozzle a couple of times even after it automatically shut off to really fill up the tank all the way to the top. After that, while I was driving I could smell a strong gasoline smell in the cabin. Now I'm careful not to overfill my gas tank and I've never had that issue again.

troy76 05-17-2015 10:56 AM

got gas fumes?

Found elsewhere online the possibility of a loose spark plug and wouldnt ya know it my 2012 Fit's 2nd spark plug from the passengers side was about 3 turns loose. I knew it was the one when I pulled the coil pack off and the boot was sooty/dirty, the other three were clean. Tightened it back down but what damage has it caused? The spark plug hole is very dirty, how much of that went back into the cylinder?
This is my first foreign car and I am not very impressed with this.

hans471 05-18-2015 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by troy76 (Post 1306402)
Found elsewhere online the possibility of a loose spark plug and wouldnt ya know it my 2012 Fit's 2nd spark plug from the passengers side was about 3 turns loose. I knew it was the one when I pulled the coil pack off and the boot was sooty/dirty, the other three were clean. Tightened it back down but what damage has it caused? The spark plug hole is very dirty, how much of that went back into the cylinder?
This is my first foreign car and I am not very impressed with this.

I had a loose plug on our fit some years back. Never had that happen before. Pulled the plugs out, went ahead and just replaced them all as they had some miles on them anyway.

Never had the problem again after over 50,000 miles of driving it. Never could see a good reason for it happening anyway.

Fit is your first "foreign" car? Well, I have owned many cars over the years. I have been exposed to thousands in my professional life in the auto industry. My Honda's have been the best of the cars I have owned. Your plug coming loose was just a rare flute of luck, I wouldn't judge the vehicle fo rit. Loads of Fits out there with high mileage, some 200,000 miles or more. We have driven ours for eight years now without a serious issue.

benk 08-10-2015 07:16 PM

Just bought a 2010 Fit and I found this website while searching for a solution to a fuel smell in the cabin on start up and thought I'd chime in with another response that it was a loose spark plug. Pulled off the coil packs and #2 from the passenger side was brown and the spark plug was more than a few turns loose. Tightened it back up and the smell has gone away!

sxanders 12-23-2015 11:11 AM

I also has a very bad gas smell when using the defrost on my 2012. I found 2 spark plugs loose. Odd that it didn't give me a check engine light

littleblackcar 04-05-2016 08:58 AM

Is there a video showing how to get to and tighten plugs on a 2011?

sxanders 04-05-2016 09:31 AM

2012 Fit with gas smell in The Cabin

I to had a bad gas smell when my car was running. I found 2 of the four spark plugs loose. Passenger side seems to be the side on most posts.
I talked to my Honda Dealer and they acted like it was the first that they have heard about this problem and suggested I bring the car in for service.
I wonder how many others have been swindled?
I can only hope that the treads in the head arrant worn from this.
SHAME ON HONDA for not stepping up to the plate on this one.

littleblackcar 04-05-2016 09:51 AM

How much do you think a dealer would charge if I asked them to check the plugs at my next oil change?

sxanders 04-05-2016 10:02 AM

I cant see it being much if not free. I would have them look at this post.
My friend looked it up on Al data for me,[ Pardon the spelling.] this is the computer program the dealers use to determine the how to and time it takes to do certain jobs. and I think it was a 15 minute fix.

sxanders 04-05-2016 10:05 AM

I would have it fixed sooner than later because of the potential damage to the spark plug threads.
Stand up for yourself at the Dealer They want you to come back.
Good luck

cspan37421 01-06-2017 01:40 PM

Thank you all for this thread and replies! I discovered the same thing - rather slight gas smell in the cabin (daughter d/n notice, but I did), googled the issue here at fitfreak, and saw the replies that a number of people with the same symptoms found a loose spark plug. So did I! 2nd from left as you look at the engine from the front of the car.

I cleaned off the soot from the boot and re-tightened the plug (checked all others and put on new dielectric grease - all boots were dry but pliable). But I did not clean the plug - should I have pulled it and wiped it down, or does it really matter? Thanks